Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg NAUTILUS

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want some chill music whilst you're doing the laundry or dishes, then here's a 30 minute musical journey through many Nautilus presets.

It's hosted on Patreon, but it's free for everyone to stream or download. No extra charge for the occasional fluffed notes (still getting used to the keyboard, ok?).

Exported direct from my DAW as high quality 320Mps MP3.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/43940784

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I believe Kronos 3 is almost ready to launch. I"m guessing Winter NAMM 2022.

By then, Nautilus pricing will have lowered to $1500/$1700/$2000 and Kronos 3 will start at $3000.

I have my suspicions on whether Korg is invested in the flagship at the current time - your guess of 2022 is probably more like it. Roland surprised us with the Fantom we thought was never coming. A revision of the Kronos would be a welcome surprise as well.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I believe Kronos 3 is almost ready to launch. I"m guessing Winter NAMM 2022.

A revision of the Kronos would be a welcome surprise as well.

If the Korg Nautilus does well as a Kronos-lite, beyond a faster start up time and modern day GUI, I'm wondering what else a new Kronos could offer that would keep it in flagship workstation territory. :idk::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If the Korg Nautilus does well as a Kronos-lite, beyond a faster start up time and modern day GUI, I'm wondering what else a new Kronos could offer that would keep it in flagship workstation territory. :idk::cool:

Some thoughts in my post at 3068701 - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3068701/re-something-new-coming-from-korg#Post3068701 - and CEB's message that followed about better pedal support. There are other things I could think of, but if they are just software changes, they don't necessarily need a new model, just an OS update, so I focussed more on stuff that new hardware could actually facilitate.

There are also some thoughts at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1294597-korg-kronos-hardware-refresh.html

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some thoughts in my post...and CEB's message that followed about better pedal support. There are other things I could think of, but if they are just software changes, they don't necessarily need a new model, just an OS update, so I focussed more on stuff that new hardware could actually facilitate.

Brotha Scott, while I can see a very small Kronos market for the upgrades mentioned in those threads, I'm not convinced that a flagship workstation will sell enough units to make it worthwhile to the manufacturers.

IMO, the Korg Nautilus is the direction of future workstations especially as more musos are tethered to laptops and tablets.

The Nautilus has more features than a DP making it a standalone performance, compoosition and recording tool at a decent price point.

Workstations in the >$3k range are slowly becoming thinner air. I haven't seen sales numbers on the Roland Fantom but I seriously doubt that it's flying out of the stores.

Then, a Kronos 3 with every upgrade desired would flood the market with 1st and 2nd generation Kronoses. That would kill Nautilus sales. :laugh:

If at all, I think it will be several years before Korg considers an updated Kronos. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

[q

IMO, the Korg Nautilus is the direction of future workstations especially as more musos are tethered to laptops and tablets.

The Nautilus has more features than a DP making it a standalone performance, compoosition and recording tool at a decent price point.

Workstations in the >$3k range are slowly becoming thinner air. I haven't seen sales numbers on the Roland Fantom but I seriously doubt that it's flying out of the stores.

Then, a Kronos 3 with every upgrade desired would flood the market with 1st and 2nd generation Kronoses. That would kill Nautilus sales. :laugh:

If at all, I think it will be several years before Korg considers an updated Kronos. :cool:

Similar outlook.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

disclaimer- I have no insider info or secret sources.

2021 trends with Kronos and Nautilus:

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• 2 months later...

Korg has an "All Playing" video up. It sounds good with the exception of that mono-close-mic stereo room-mic piano. My understanding is that the other Kronos pianos will become available later.

It helps that the demonstrator knows how to play nicely. ;) His name is Luciano Minetti.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I really like that Mozart Flugel Piano patch.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well, this sentence popped up a scene from my long term memory: probably sometime in 1988, i visited the local Pisa music instrument shop, and they had the brand new Korg M1.

This new idea of workstation. I played around a bit, and i though: what i am supposed to do with this keyboard, i have an Atari running Pro 24 as a sequencer, a TX16W sampler (and a TX802 and a M1000).

This ideas will never fly.

(ok, i wasn't gigging at the time, just compose alone at home)

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

My question is this: outside the endless debate over piano purity, what else *could* any workstation offer you? The new Fantom seems pretty inviting, but it also has a whiff of "Horse designed by a committee" to it. The result can (somewhat) resemble an elephant with fairy wings and a tail on each end.

The Kronos clearly needs some file handling polish and the like, but 98% of it is near perfect. I can see the Nautilus as a budget-friendlier Kronos, but minus some astounding science-fiction overhaul, I can't see much left to want that isn't already there.

There is also the simple fact of moving far more $600-1000-ish units than $2600-3000 ones. The Volca, -logue and Wavestate/Opsix/moDWave lines can't help but leap over giant slab-synth sales. Just an observation, since I both play a giant slab and AM one of a different sort.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

*You wrote 'Kronoses" and my inner ear heard 'Kro-noses." I apologize for the silly digression!*

Oops, I lopped off the front of the quote. That was from Prof D. :)

My question is this: outside the endless debate over piano purity, what else *could* any workstation offer you?

The Kronos specifically could have stronger orchestral sounds, at least at the level of Kurzweil if not surpassing it. Stronger guitars and electric basses, and more DSP effects blocks and polyphony. It is still the most full-featured workstation out there in my opinion and those would complete it (since you specifically said things besides pianos).

My question is this: outside the endless debate over piano purity, what else *could* any workstation offer you? The new Fantom seems pretty inviting, but it also has a whiff of "Horse designed by a committee" to it. The result can (somewhat) resemble an elephant with fairy wings and a tail on each end.

The Kronos clearly needs some file handling polish and the like, but 98% of it is near perfect. I can see the Nautilus as a budget-friendlier Kronos, but minus some astounding science-fiction overhaul, I can't see much left to want that isn't already there.

There is also the simple fact of moving far more $600-1000-ish units than $2600-3000 ones. The Volca, -logue and Wavestate/Opsix/moDWave lines can't help but leap over giant slab-synth sales. Just an observation, since I both play a giant slab and AM one of a different sort.

You sound like the people a century ago who said we"ve gone about as far as we can go. There are a lot more synth engines that are possible in the digital realm. Look at how many things have been developed for the digital oscillator in the Korg Prologue and related products. The Technos Axcel had some amazing resynthesis capabilities that should be achievable with today"s processors. The possibilities are endless.

I have been a Kronos user since 2013 and an Oasys user since 2005. It has been an unbelievable platform - the ease of use and power of the keyboard was striking compared to anything else around. In many ways it's still king of the hill, even after 10 years, which is remarkable. That said, there is a long list of improvements that Kronos users have wished for for a very long time:

- Piano roll sequencer

- faster boot time

- more program slots

- Better object management - some kind of unique ID per program so the keyboard can still find things if the banks are rearranged

- controller enhancements like LED ladders by faders or better yet motorized faders

- More polyphony

- and my personal top wish - more IFX slots.

For non-studio tweakers, the biggest hassle of modern keyboards is that sounds in program mode sound great, but when you get them into a combi/multi, they sound different or break due to lack of IFX slots. Roland and Yamaha handle this by having pretty simplistic effects, so if the effects don't all make it into multi mode, it's less likely to be a killer. Korg and Kurzweil go nuts in the effects department, but make you manage them to get them to fit.

I participated in the early days of the Oasys and corresponded with Korg folks multiple times. I understand the needs of running a business, and I also understand the absolutely unrelenting stream of requests/complaints from users like us that make keyboard development really emotionally challenging. With sympathy to those things, I'm disappointed that Korg has pulled back so much from the user community like this.

FWIW, I just bought a Kurzweil Forte. Yes, I know the K2700 was just announced, but I actually prefer a number of things on the Forte to the K2700. I would probably have bought the Forte 3 years ago, but I kept holding out for a new Kronos. I got tired of waiting. I'm not planning on selling my Kronoses (I have an X and a Kronos2), but I needed some fresh stuff to work on.

also see the first 7 posts at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3068701/1

and post 3 at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1294597-korg-kronos-hardware-refresh.html

Software-wise (which does not necessarily require new hardware), it would be nice to see some interface improvements, and maybe emulations of some additional classic Korg boards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"m disappointed in the program list for the Nautilus compared to the program list for the Kronos. There are specific programs on the Kronos, that would HAVE to be on the Nautilus for me to buy the Nautilus.

Well there was a comparison done a week or so ago of Kronos and Nautilus. There is some internal tech that is newer on the Nautilus that Kronos doesn't have and from way they talked it won't be ported up. So there are newer PCM sounds on Nautilus that can't be moved up to the Kronos. So the two boards are very similar, but not the same.

I"m disappointed in the program list for the Nautilus compared to the program list for the Kronos. There are specific programs on the Kronos, that would HAVE to be on the Nautilus for me to buy the Nautilus.

Well there was a comparison done a week or so ago of Kronos and Nautilus. There is some internal tech that is newer on the Nautilus that Kronos doesn't have and from way they talked it won't be ported up. So there are newer PCM sounds on Nautilus that can't be moved up to the Kronos. So the two boards are very similar, but not the same.

Do you have a link to that comparison?

I would not be surprised at some new tech in the Nautilus, but I don't know why you couldn't put the same PCM sounds (which are just samples) in another model. Maybe there were changes to one or more of the sound engines?

I'm also surprised that the Nautilus doesnt include all the sounds that were on the Kronos. I wonder if there's a technical reason, or if it is just part of product differentiation. Other than obvious things, like combis that use KARMA, since the Kronos doesn't have KARMA.

There are specific programs on the Kronos, that would HAVE to be on the Nautilus for me to buy the Nautilus.

Maybe there is a comparable sound in the Nautilus that is very similar to the Kronos version of it. :cool:

PD

> You sound like the people a century ago who said we"ve gone about as far as we can go.

Oh no, I don't! :laugh: There were no synths a century ago! :laugh:

> There are a lot more synth engines that are possible in the digital realm. ...

Well of course, but I've been at this for a while. It would take some sort of colossal sea change in people's playing and listening habits to push it into some unforeseeable future state of bliss. The engines are largely mature and therefore the least of it. Its the GUIs, keybeds, sustainable unit sales and the sometimes hard-to-define fun factor. "Going farther" doesn't always translate into greater musicality. Korg's open slots for added engines in the -logue family is one move that does. By contrast, my old K5 additive synth was a boat anchor whose method was 20+ years premature & smelled like it. (The good presets were really tempting, but most were alien or flat. Not the right approach for a Moogist right then.)

> The possibilities are endless.

Oh no, they're not! Now you sound like an 80s synth ad! :laugh: To be fair, you're clearly in the right ballpark, as when you consider monsters like Reaktor or the Solaris. I also applaud Korg for upgrading the Wavestation, DX7 and DW8000 with synths that get you closer to their respective hearts, with better FX, sequencing & other pluses. So endless, no, technically and numerically not, but I'll happily meet you halfway in praising smart & *original* variations.

I still use a Korg workstation plugged into my interface and into its share of tracks, so its not opposition at all. I simply think they've crammed all they can into one box without it becoming bloated. The appeal and flex of smaller outboard synths and iPads is a natural progression. Loosely, you either go that way or you invest in a Fantom, whose I/O tentacles will reach out to anything current you can name. That's the "Phantom of The Paradise"/T.O.N.T.O. method, where you bond with the beast like something out of a David Cronenberg/Clive Barker collaboration. Sorry, but its Friday and I've had wine. :puff::wave:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I can relate. I"ve been gigging a Kronos for ten years, using programs I"ve really become accustomed to and that feel good under my fingers. Perhaps just as important, if not more so, I have invested hundreds of hours of programming many complex programs and combinations. What I"ve heard of the Nautilus sounds really good, but any sonic improvement would have to seriously offset the time I would need to make it work. I suppose this would be true for any keyboard that replaced the Kronos, but I"m hoping for a backwards-compatible axe that allows me to upload my current programs/combis. Until this occurs, I"m feeling a little stuck.

Can it go the other way? That is, can Kronos programs be faithfully uploaded to the Nautilus?

There are specific programs on the Kronos, that would HAVE to be on the Nautilus for me to buy the Nautilus.

Maybe there is a comparable sound in the Nautilus that is very similar to the Kronos version of it. :cool:

There are a lot of programs with the same name in both axes, but the Nautilus does not contain all of the stock programs in the Kronos. :(

Not sure if that is even a reasonable expectation. Does the MODX contain all of the stock programs of the Montage?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

[qu

Can it go the other way? That is, can Kronos programs be faithfully uploaded to the Nautilus?

(

that question is answered here:

Over the next few months, Korg will have a conversion program to make this possible.

It is not 100% perfect due to Karma use for example.

[70's Songwriter]

Over the next few months, Korg will have a conversion program to make this possible.

It is not 100% perfect due to Karma use for example.

Thanks for that Greg. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I didn't realize they had made the screen smaller. So much is already small on the Kronos screen. Hmmm.

I'm surprised they can't/won't update the Kronos with the new PCM sample data, even if maybe all the old and all the new wouldn't be able to be loaded at once.

They already went through a sloppy transition once, from the 1st Kronos to the second IIRC, where the programs were in a different order and you had to know which order your model used when loading updated/new sounds. I'm kind of surprised they're doing it again (it appears to be the reason the Nautilus is not out-of-the-box compatible with Kronos progras/combis). It seems to me that it would make sense to stick with all the same referenced program locations at a deep level, even if they can appear in a different order to the user, so that the references would work no matter what order they wanted to present the programs in. They already do that kind of thing with the Set Lists. Another similar but "invisible" layer between the "true" program locations and the order in which they appear on screen in a given model would seem to make it easier to stay compatible with older models as well as newer ones when they come out.

He talked about the Kronos continuing as the flagship, with its more extensive control surface and larger screen, but never mentioned aftertouch as a difference, which is kind of significant.

I suppose Nautilus has its appeal as being most of a Kronos at a lower price, but it's a real yawner for me, except for having a 73 version that isn't a back-breaker, which might have tempted me at one point, but doesn't fit into my current plans.

The Nautilus the made new versions of some of the old sounds as well as new sounds.

I would not be surprised at some new tech in the Nautilus, but I don't know why you couldn't put the same PCM sounds (which are just samples) in another model. Maybe there were changes to one or more of the sound engines?

I'm also surprised that the Nautilus doesnt include all the sounds that were on the Kronos. I wonder if there's a technical reason, or if it is just part of product differentiation. Other than obvious things, like combis that use KARMA, since the Kronos doesn't have KARMA.

I downloaded the program lists for both boards. I made a list of sounds that really interest me in the Kronos. I then did a search for those sounds in the Nautilus. Some were there, but not all. Basically they were Keith Emerson sounds.

-I didn't realize they had made the screen smaller. So much is already small on the Kronos screen. Hmmm.

-I suppose Nautilus has its appeal as being most of a Kronos at a lower price, but it's a real yawner for me, except for having a 73 version that isn't a back-breaker, which might have tempted me at one point, but doesn't fit into my current plans.

while Nautilus screen is slightly smaller, the color, and contrast is stronger. It reminds me of my MODX display, which I like.

FWIW, I see Nautilus as an alternative to the non Kronos owner, the keyboard person who is very interested in the Kronos sound engines, in a less expensive package.

Close to Zero expectation that Korg will ever further enhance the 10 yr old Kronos product.

I use to mark late January or Feb as possible new OS. And its been 4 years since the last Kronos OS.

That plus Korgs priority on many new keyboard/synth products tells me where all the budget $$ and R &D time is going.

[70's Songwriter]

I downloaded the program lists for both boards. I made a list of sounds that really interest me in the Kronos. I then did a search for those sounds in the Nautilus. Some were there, but not all. Basically they were Keith Emerson sounds.

On the other hand, I found some new KE sounds on the Nautilus list.