Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

remove

VST Rhodes Beauty  

27 members have voted

1. 1. VST Rhodes Beauty

Updated: "The Famous E" by Orange Tree Samples (famous LA studio first call Rhodes unit)

I'm struck by it's ballad style beauty, it seems to sound very intimate for solo jazz timbres.

The Famous E Piano demos

Bases solely on clean tone "ballad beauty" criteria does the "Famous E " perhaps more lovely than the Keyscape, tVTines, Scarbee EP-88S and the Lounge Lizard 4?

Let's not consider bark and effects, just clean tone George Duke gorgeousness.

Playability is the other critical factor, how each behaves and responds to the players touch.

Previous thread on the Famous "E"

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3056003/famous-e-electric-piano

I forgot to add The Famous "E" to the poll so maybe do a write-in.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dbl post

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

My "best" rhodes is the scarbee 88...I really like what I've heard from the Canterbury suitcase though. In that vid it is lower volume than the others, which may influence the listener. If it's the same on the meters in Logic, must be some frequency that's popping out that's causing the overall volume to seem lower (i had a weird synth hi-hat blowing up my meters in a recent mix despite the fact it wasn't super-loud to the ear....)

Pretty clear though that when comparing all of those (that all sound great) to anything I do that the player is the most important thing :D

I find the modeled Rhodes in lounge lizard sounds near identical to the modeled Rhodes in Logic Pro X. These are fun, and of course half the sound of these are in the FX available in both. Pianteq"s modeled Rhodes is similar but more recognizably different when included in the mix. Better? I don"t know. Crumar has also done the Rhodes piano with modeling. Mr. Ray I believe was the basis for what made it into the Crumar Seven. I think that one actually sounds more realistic to me out of the modeled lot.

Do they sound better or more authentic than a good sample library? No I wouldn"t say that. The Crumar model sounds a lot more similar to sample sets - I had a chance to A/B it with a Yamaha CP-88 and there was a lot in common between those timbres. VTines sounds excellent and at least a few regulars here really like it.

Sonic Couture has a nice sample library,

https://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/24-vintage/g59-the-canterbury-suitcase/

As does Keyscape from Omnisphere.

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/keyscape/

And Purgatory Creek sounds very authentic to me.

https://www.purgatorycreek.com/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I like Scarbee 88 and I have the Caterbury Suitcase and EP73 from Soniccouture. If I needed another one (I also like Purgatory Creek, the stock rhodes in Logic and heard the new Arturia one is good) I would probably buy Keyscape.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

No mention of the Orange Tree "Famous E"? You guys are slacking off. Especially since it was demoed exquisitely by our own Johan Landqvist in a thread here, not very long ago. If you're looking for a Rhodes with "ballad style beauty", you can't do much better than this one IMO. Yes, the Spectrasonics Rhodes is an Eddy Reynolds-modded Rhodes too, but it's not the "Famous E".... which the Orange Tree is.

Also, the Lounge Lizard is a perfectly fine (virtual) instrument, but does anyone else think it's wrong to include it in this group? It sounds nothing like a Rhodes!

Sorry, I'm a little cranky today!

It may sound a bit lazy, but having owned a real Rhodes and Wurly at one point, Logic's EP suits me nicely. As an AAS fan, I've sniffed Lounge Lizard a few times, but I can dial in intimate boxiness or echoing space piano with effects and feel satisfied. I'm quite far below the George Duke level, so I can live with partially building the piano-of-the-moment I need. That's admittedly arrogant synth-head talk, but if you want me to stop, make me.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I see the Famous E has been added now... nice, it deserves to be here.

Also I was wrong about something: I thought our forum brother Analogaddict was Johan, but apparently my reading comprehension skills need some work. Re-reading the thread announcing this piano led me to discover this was not the case. AA plays in a band with the vocalist featured on the u-tube of "Not Like This", but isn't the pianist on the video, Johan Landqvist. Between Dirty Loops and those guys, it sure seems Sweden knows how to produce some great musicians!

After listening to the demos, I vote for the "Famous E Piano" by orangetreesamples.com

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/the-famous-e-electric-piano