Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lady Gaga's arrangement of the national anthem

[video:youtube]

I'm a fan of her talent, performing charisma and versatility, if not of her hit songs- I love her big band jazz numbers. But I didn't go ga-ga over this arrangement. It's ok but IMO our Mighty Motif Max could arrange a fresher sounding reshuffling of time signatures. Plus, IMO the reharm is kind of chee-Z. Maybe I'm just grouchy and will have a different opinion after a nice afternoon nap.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Veterans of Foreign Wars, petitioned for the Star Spangled Banner to be the National anthem, in 1930. President Hoover signed the Bill into law, in 1931. Making the Star Spangled Banner our National Anthem.

I agree with Craig, America the Beautiful would be a better anthem.

From a person who has played this in bands many times, the drawn out phrases disturbed me just a little, but I didn't find them offensive in any way. All in all I thought it to be a respectful performance. I would have preferred a straight, no-frills arrangement. I don't think it's a song that a person needs to personalize, but doing it the classic way demonstrates the longevity of the republic. Obviously others disagree, and that's OK, I'm not supreme arbiter of good taste. Gaga has good pipes and good intonation, and she did a good job.

It's not an easy song to sing, and was written to the tune of an old English drinking song. Perhaps after a few pints it gets easier ;)

I'm not a Gaga fan, but I respect her talent and I do enjoy a lot of her work.

I didn't see it until I watched this clip, but heard live on the radio (I don't watch TV).

I don't care about the bling. To me the huge red dress was impractical, but that was her choice. I'm not disturbed about the bling or the dress.

I am glad the inauguration went off without violence.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

It was a very traditional arrangement, sounded fine to me. Her simple piano-accompanied performance at the 2016 super bowl was fantastic:

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

At this point at the end of the world I'm just glad it's in tune and there wasn't some sort of hyperbolic gimmick involved.

I'm quite fine with the political world becoming duller and bland. It's refreshing, I feel like I have more headspace to retreat to while doing music.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien