Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was your "game-changing" synth?

(Yes, I'm specifically focused on synths, not piano or organ, as I'm interested in what synth technology changed you as a musician.)

What single synth made you stop and say "Wow", or gave you new musical expression because of its capabilities, or was the gateway into the synth abyss?

I had early sampler's, an Ensoniq VFX workstation/sequencer, a DX7, Moog Rogue, etc., but the keyboard that stopped me in my tracks was the Yamaha Motif ES. Heard it in a GC, dude was playing a bunch of sounds on it, but when he played the acoustic guitar with Mega-Arps, I was awestruck. Convincing guitars from a synth!!! Wow. I had to have it and bought it without any of the typical research of online reviews. Nothing else mattered after I heard that acoustic guitar.

I was already doing one man band sequencing with the Ensoniq, I felt like I found the holy grail. I knew that Motif would take me to an entirely different creative space. Still own it today and still sequence on it often.

Do newer boards have more tech, better sounds, etc.? Absolutely, but the Motif, for me was a game-changer. All the newer workstations are just better iterations, but that initial Motif reaction for me was mind blowing.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

The first synths I saw in a store were the O1/W and the SY77. I didn't know anything about how they made sound, but I was blown away. I saved all my $$ and got the O1/wfd.

The synth that has made the biggest impact on my musical life is the John Bowen Solaris. It has allowed me to explore the architecture of several decades of synths in one place. It is very deep. It sounds very good. It has saved me much money because it is so powerful. Pretty much any VA thing in the last decade is uninteresting - I have a better architecture in the Solaris. I have actively planned other purchases around what the Solaris offers. For example, I bought the OB-6 for the state-variable filter - that one knob and Dave Smith's outstanding parameterization.... it is so easy to make good sounding things!

Every single one I ever owned, each for various reasons.

The Sequential Pro One was my first real synth. I cut my programming teeth on it. It opened up the world of synthesis to me and taught me the principles and nuances.

Juno 60 was my first programmable poly. Helped me learn just how far one could go with a single oscillator. I also learned a lot about using synthesis to emulate other natural sounds. That instrument took my knowledge pretty far.

Next up was the Oberheim Matrix 6. It taught me a lot about using velocity, aftertouch and release velocity, and all the great expressive things I could do with it. PITA to program but the results were always worth it. Absolutely loved that thing, and spent many hours programming it. I think a couple of my patches actually made it into the Matrix 1000 preset collection.

Ensoniq SQ-80 followed that. Opened up the world of using waves and all the sonic possibilities. Also taught me about sequencing. Very efficient workflow and polyphonic aftertouch! What a wonderfully rich instrument.

I also owned a DX-7, but only out of commercial pressure. Didn't do much with that aside from cribbing other people's programs. Digital synthesis didn't really interest me.

After that, I took a break from playing, and upon my return, I had less interest in synthesis. I did own a PC3 for a few years, but was more interested in the controller and performance-related aspects of it and less so the synthesis architecture, so I'm not sure that counts in this thread.

Just starting to explore again now in the home studio, but it's too early to tell.

Nord Modular. Plug anything into anything. Pretty much any kind of synthesis except sample+synthesis. And it had audio inputs if you really wanted to work with audio or samples. It was as though you had lived in a cell and somebody led you into daylight for the first time.

The S90-ES stands out, as it was strong synth engine step up from my original Motif. I did tons of programming on that one: everything from core synth stuff on up to multi-layered Performances. Still use a lot of those sounds as the basis for Performances in my MODX. The S90-ES was also the first stage 88 on which I finally felt I could play piano Voices with a satisfying level of expression.

The biggest old school synth game-changer was my OB-Xa; cut my programming chops on that machine. It was an 8-voice monster, and retrofitted for MIDI - which worked great. Sold it in 1990 for $700... :pop:

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My first synth is where I learned the most and invested the most time by far - Roland JX-8P - bought new in 1985 and I crawled over every parameter, created blank patch sheets on an IBM typewriter so I could save things "offline" and learn from them (I still have all of those). I don't use it as often these days, but still have the JX-8P sitting in a prominent place in my music room. It was my "voice" for most of the late '80s into the '90s.

The Korg M1R was the item that really upped my game around 1988-89 whenever that was introduced...previously there was no great piano sound for me, or the capability to do much with splits and layers. I had a Yamaha DX7IIFD at this time as well and it was cool, but the M1R gave me such a wider set of sounds and capabilities.

It's painful to remember how much time I invested in setting up combinations using the small rack mount UI on the M1R and I harnessed every bit of horsepower out of that thing. I didn't keep it forever and ultimately replaced it with a Roland JV-880 sometime in the early '90s.

JX-8P, M1R were the main ones for me back in those days.

I'm definitely one of the younger folks here and that reflects in my "game-changing" synth - the Motif XF8. 1000x more powerful than the YPG-235 I had been using for performances, and virtually everything sounded realistic enough that I could slip it in a band and the average person in the audience wouldn't know the difference between the Motif and the real thing. That meant I needed to focus on playing technique to enhance the realism further, so in a way it pushed me to majorly improve my playing and improvisation skills from just playing chords and/or written piano music.
  • Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

My first synth is where I learned the most and invested the most time by far - Roland JX-8P - bought new in 1985 and I crawled over every parameter, created blank patch sheets on an IBM typewriter so I could save things "offline" and learn from them (I still have all of those). I don't use it as often these days, but still have the JX-8P sitting in a prominent place in my music room. It was my "voice" for most of the late '80s into the '90s.

The Korg M1R was the item that really upped my game around 1988-89 whenever that was introduced...previously there was no great piano sound for me, or the capability to do much with splits and layers. I had a Yamaha DX7IIFD at this time as well and it was cool, but the M1R gave me such a wider set of sounds and capabilities.

It's painful to remember how much time I invested in setting up combinations using the small rack mount UI on the M1R and I harnessed every bit of horsepower out of that thing. I didn't keep it forever and ultimately replaced it with a Roland JV-880 sometime in the early '90s.

JX-8P, M1R were the main ones for me back in those days.

What a coincidence, Eric. A JX-10 replaced the OB-Xa I just mentioned, above. Then I combined that with an M1R (converting everything from my M1 keyboard). The JX/M1 sound combination took me through much of the 1990s. Loved that setup!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

For me it was the Yamaha MOX. A derivative of the Motif of course, but I'd not been involved in anything musical - kit wise - since around 1990, so the initial MOX demo I saw and heard from Bert Smorenburg - about 10 years ago - was a real WOW moment for me..

It's cost me a fortune since then of course! :)

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

None of them. Game changing happened as I practiced and became better. It happened with time and learning about other cultural styles of music. Gear has nothing to do with it except helping me put my best foot forward. The only thing that happened since the 80's is that the sounds good better. I don't think of that as game changing.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Way back when, the ARP Odyssey came out and a local music store had one hooked up and ready to go. I knew what the names of the notes on a keyboard were (which is about all I still know) and sat there for an hour and a half twisting knobs to see what would happen. I have no idea why they didn't tell me to go away!!!

I think that was a game changer for all synth players, no? A friend had an original Minimoog and I diddled about with that a couple of times too. Another groundbreaking instrument. I have no idea what all is out there now although the Dreadbox Typhon has gotten my attention. That looks like a fun little box.

I use some soft synths now, triggered by a Fishman Triple Play on guitar. My current favorite is Surge, which is free. Apparently they had a preset competition or something, there are lots of presets and lots of controls for changing things.

I haven't tried to make the interface larger (blind and need new glasses) for a deep dive but one of these days I'll get in there.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-106

After that, the Roland D-50 with its LA synthesis, sampled attacks, did a fantastic job at sounding like anything you may need - synthy, acoustic, electro mechanical, it did a lot well.

Off OP"s topic - The change to sampling, PCM on ROMs was tremendous for piano gigs. So much better sounding than what we had before for acoustic instruments. Kurzweil K1000 was decently light weight, with compromise semi weight synth action - actually pretty good for both organs and piano (although not the best for either).

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My first synthesizer was Moog Satellite. Not a game changer. In a few years I contemplated either a Minimoog or Odyssey. I decided on the Arp for one reason, two-note polyphony. It wasn't my favorite synth but I'd have to call it the game changer.

The most fun I ever had was the Sequential Circuits Prophet 600. The coolest synth was my D50. Best all around was Triton Extreme (except for acoustic piano sound.)

Like others had said, it's tough to nail down one game-changer. After Triton I stopped playing GB so I ditched Triton. I probably would of bought a Kronos if I was still gigging but I digress. :facepalm:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

When Syntns first came out, I had an early Mini Moog, but it wouldn't stay in tune when we played in rooms that didn't have a constant temperature. I bought a later model that was better, but the Mini was only good when I played in a band with other musicians. I bought an Arp Omni II and an Arp Odyssey Model III (that I still have). but found them limited when I went solo. I invested in a Yamaha electric grand when they were introduced and I was finally able to play solo with a real piano that stayed in tune with a great sound and action.

The synth that made the difference for me was my Oberheim OBX 6 voice, THAT synth was capable of realistic STRINGS, and most any other sound I needed for the type of music I played. I added a Oberheim digital drum machine and Moog Taurus bass pedals and I WAS A BAND. I could sing so I was able to put together a good solo act. I was able to book jobs myself, which helped pay for all the equipment I bought! The only limitation was ME. So I practiced my ass off to get better at singing and playing all the parts while I sang. :/

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

First synth was a SH 101 , learnt a lot by sitting there for hours upon hours trying to emulate sounds . Hated that it was monophonic but I learnt a ton on that little thing. My next one was a Juno 60 , loved that thing and still regret selling it for a dx 7 , which I never grasped programing . Compared to what's aroung now, very basic , but my 60 for me was the game changer. I just recently got the new prophet 5 rev 4 , maybe that will change things up thesedays. I guess technically, the true game changer for me to this day is the Hammond B3 , the very first synthesizer .

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I think the pairing of the Roland JX-8P and Korg DW-8000 reached a level of price, portability and sound to get me started as a gigging player in high school.

I think the other was my first Nord Stage Compact as an all-in-one carry out.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I'm pretty new to the synth world, so my take after a year or so of perusing all the newest products, the two that really gave me the shock and awe factor are the Arturia Polybrute and the Osmose Expressive E. Both of them bring really wild new playing capabilities that blew my mind in demo videos. I hope to own one or both of them in the next 5 years!

d7NSZrrzRdeyQKPR4tL9WQ.jpg

expressivee-osmose-front.jpg

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I had an Ensoniq ESQ-1 that worked well for me, but the Game Changer was the Korg M1. There are still some sounds on it that I cannot get anywhere else.

I had the M1 stolen from my van, and replaced it with a Korg N364. This became my bread and butter synth for years, until it became basically inoperative due to power supply issues

But, the one board that has really blown me away, in its sounds and playability and expression, is my latest bread and butter synth - Kurzweil PC4.

I don't need to have anything else with it. I have my Hammond SK2 that I will still have on stage the majority of the time, but I found how to get a really good Hammond sound using the KB3 in the PC4

I have directed to output of my primary KB3 patch to the B output, and run the signal through my Vent. I did not like the Leslie effect in the PC4, so I went with something better.

I've found as I get older, I prefer to go with a smaller setup, with better quality sounds.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

My first synth was an ARP Odyssey white-face. At the time the main choices were the Odyssey, Minimoog, and ARP 2600 (which was more expensive). The music store where I went had the Odyssey and Minimoog but the salesman told me the Odyssey was the one to get. He did a demonstration and said everything he was showing me were things the Minimoog couldn't do. The Minimoog has become the iconic synth more for it's fat sound than it's range of functions. The odyssey could do a much wider range of sounds and since that was what I learned on it was my "game-changing" synth. My overall favorite synth is the Roland Jupiter 6. I think this is as close to a polyphonic Odyssey as anything I've owned or played.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

My first real synth was a Roland JX-10. I probably did not appreciate it enough, and didn't really learn to program it all that much despite having the separate programmer unit.

It did what it did (analog) and so wasn't all that versatile. My E-mu proteus though....that thing to me was a gamechanger. Up til then I had no chance at a decent piano or realistic strings live. So easy to use in multi-timbral mode, it even could use some of its six outputs as inputs from other sources (something I wish other synths had and few do.) I gigged for a few years with the JX-10 plugged into there so I didn't need a mixer, that was a decent rig for the late 80s.

In retrospect I wish I had gotten a Prophet 5 instead but I don't remember if those were still for sale new at the time I got the JX-10 nor what the price would have been. Ironically I'm now trying to decide between a Summit and Rev 2 (16 voice) if I reward myself for an awful year (in many ways) and get more synth-centric again.

The single most game-changing event that I recall in my musical life was when I realized that instruments and effects could live inside the computer, and not just be controlled by them via midi.

Every single one I ever owned, each for various reasons.

Same here, that's the reason I bought each one. The Yamaha DX100 was my first synth, which was followed by the DX21 to get full size keys, then the DX7s for velocity sensitivity, and then finally the DX7II-FD. The FDD opened up a world of sounds simply by being able loading bank after bank of patches that I was able to copy from the dealer's sound library.

The Roland S50 was my first sampler (and favorite synth keybed) and I was amazed at the realism of the sounds. While clunky, it was fun to learn how to sample and the RCA out to TV was cool to have more than just the single-line, alphanumeric display to edit.

Ensoniq SQ-80 followed that. Opened up the world of using waves and all the sonic possibilities. Also taught me about sequencing. Very efficient workflow and polyphonic aftertouch! What a wonderfully rich instrument.

Yes, the polyphonic aftertouch on the clacky keybed was interesting. It was also way easier for me to tweak sounds than on the DX7. Loved the fat sounds that came out of it.

My E-mu proteus though....that thing to me was a gamechanger. Up til then I had no chance at a decent piano or realistic strings live.

Again, same here. It was a real game-changer to have all those sounds at the twist of a knob without taking 30-40 seconds to load from disk like the S50. I'd also say that the JLCooper MSB Plus Rev 2 MIDI patch bay made a big difference because I could layer and play the sounds on any synth or module from any keyboard. Most of the time, I used the S50 keyboard to play the sounds in the Proteus1.

While I took a 20-year+ break from playing out for job and family, I got a Casio PX330, which was my first hammer-action keyboard, so I could play with headphones in the basement in the evenings without disturbing homework and bedtime. I had been out of the keyboard purchasing game for quite a while and was surprised at how good the action was, not to mention the piano sounds that far surpassed anything from my samplers/romplers.

Which brings me to my most recent game-changer, the Nord Stage 3. When I decided to get back into playing out, I quickly realized my 80s/90s rig wasn't going to cut it, but I didn't want the hassle of multiple boards or needing to rely upon searching for just the right preset patche/program to get the sound I wanted. I also wasn't sure whether I would want APs, EPs, Organ, synth, sampler or rompler, but I did know that I wanted to program my own sounds and be able to have multiple splits and layers. I have never connected with a synth the way I do with the NS3. The UI, keybed, sounds, programmability and the ease of use opened up a world of self-sufficiency I had never experienced.

OK, one postscript. The Casio CT-X700 I just got for Christmas is also a game changer in that it is instantly available (5 seconds from pushing the power button to having a decent piano sound loaded and ready to play) and can be used in any room inside or outside the house. When I'm done, I press the power button and lean it up against the wall. When I have a quick idea or want to work on learning a new song, it's great to not have to go through the process of removing the covers from my "good" keyboards, turning on the power conditioner, turning on the keyboard, waiting for the 20-second boot (I'm not complaining, I know it's way quicker than a Kronos), turning on the speakers or putting in my IEMS, then reversing the process when I want to shut down.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Yamaha DX7

I didn't buy one until several decades later after it became ubiquitous, loved and loathed. :laugh:

The first Yamaha synth I bought was a SY99 but that DX7 sound was the game-changer and gateway for me. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"