Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh my word, they did it! Korg Wavestate SE

Korg did it!! A 61-key Wavestate! The Wavestate SE. And it WILL have aftertouch!!

Known Info:

- 61-key version of current 37-key wavestate now with aftertouch

- New internal programs added, all sound programs optimized for aftertouch

- Solid build, aluminum panel and knobs

wavestate-SE_slant.png

[video:youtube]

Not much info but there are a bunch of new Korg products on this page: https://korg-us.com/future-product-preview/

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

And they didn't do a damn thing to improve the user interface. FML.

Well, I was worried that my GearLab thread and YouTube series about the Wavestate, which have been incredibly difficult for me because of the convoluted UI, would be made obsolete... but now it's going to be more important than ever because they're actually shipping a model that the folks in KC (and a lot of others) are going to want to get their hands on.

I've gotten a number of comments on my YouTube channel thanking me for going into the machine in so much detail, since the manual is nearly useless and all the other YT videos seem to be rapid gloss-overs. So: time to gird my loins and do my best to finish it up and do it properly, so other people can really enjoy working with this machine, which honestly sounds just incredible and deserves a lot of love for that.

(For folks who don't know: the original receives aftertouch and poly aftertouch so the new voices should work fine with external MIDI control. It'd be nice if they'd made a small xd version, but as AquilaRift has pointed out, I guess that's not going to happen. Alas.)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Seems like a neat instrument. I'll admit to not checking out its predecessor. Somewhere way back in time, I played a friend's OG Wavestation and I owned a Wavestation SR for maybe a year - I remember buying it on the cheap for maybe $150 and I couldn't find a place for the sounds in my general business band. So I sold it for $250.

I'm getting more into "stuff I can do at home" particularly during the pandemic, so these more experimental soundscapes could be appealing.

Ha, didn't even notice - pitch and mod on the left. Awesome.

Now, if only I was a billionaire with lots of free time...tons of neat gear coming out lately!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

This thing almost makes me mad, heh. I'm getting nostalgic synth-wood that echoes the madness I took up when I got a Korg 01Wfd and the Real Work could begin. I loosely wish I was 22 again and setting up my first Big Kahuna rig, after the usual toy-to-mid-range-synths period we all go through. The first time you lay hands to real power is a golden thing. The options now are hallucinatory.

I can easily see this with an iPad on one side and a complimentary module on the other, like an Opsix, ahem. Betcha Korg can, too, with the pad surely running Gadget. Hurrah for aftertouch, BTW. A gratifying release. Too bad I'm on the far end of calcification. I've had to move from actual keyboard playing to controller poking. No complaint in the end, since its still one of those great hallucinatory modules I mentioned.

As Dr. Mike points out, the sound is sometimes jaw-dropping. Remember, that panel is just one of the four separate instruments, internally speaking. It asks a lot of you work-flow-wise, but that's not unlike playing a modest modular. I'll be keen to see how well it does in the first couple of quarters.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread alert: it's been a year (exactly) since we were told about this.  It's annoying because I want/need a Wavestate for certain material, and I would much rather have the SE version than the current 37-key thingie.  If they ever ship it, that is.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"