Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite CP-70/80 emulation?

Electric Grand plugin from Waves and the Reface CP emulation.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's on both the CP4 and the Reface CP, I imagine the CP73-88 and YC61-88 series also use the same sample?

I don't know the answer to this, I would ask BadMister. He is the final authority on such matters. Probably overwhelmed at the moment with "Believe In Music" going on, however

:nopity:

CP4 and Reface CP both have their SCM (Spectral Component Modeling),which adds (as the name says) a modeling component to the samples. None of the newer boards seem to have that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

CP4 and Reface CP both have their SCM (Spectral Component Modeling),which adds (as the name says) a modeling component to the samples. None of the newer boards seem to have that.

That's interesting, the Reface CP EPs did sound good. However, I like the CP80 1 sample in the CP73. It rings nicely at the top end and the bass has the distinctive sound produced by short strings that don't resonate much. It's a good alternative to acoustic piano if you want to add that late 70s, early 80s vibe - Joe Jackson (Steppin Out) or Elvis Costello - to a track. Of course it's got to have chorus on it. When I had one I ran it through a Boss CE-1 - good times!

I might need to get another refresher on the Reface CP...it's a form factor with limited interest for gigs, but could be a fun little portable instrument and be used via MIDI with anything (like maybe my P6). I recall getting mesmerized playing with one at NAMM some years ago.

I LOVE THIS THREAD! THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Eric

Just curious, didn't Busch do a Vintage Keyboard Collection for the Yamahas (over at Purgatory Creek?) that included a CP-70/80? I seem to remember, but not sure if I have enough brain cells left to be sure. lol

I use the one he made for the Kronos. More layers and much better than the stock factory one.

https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.php/string-collection-kronos/

Lenny

+1 for the Purgatory Creek everything. He builds the libraries with direct out recordings from these well maintained electro mechanicals. No fudging about with them. They sound as they should from the source, which is what you want - compression, EQ, Preamp, Speakers, FX pedals etc. are all up to you.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I somehow missed the Purgatory Creek CP library, even though I have the Clavinet, Reed, and Tine collections -- most of which are still my #1 choices even as new libraries come out from other vendors.

I've sold a bunch of CP libraries, except my first one, which isn't allowed for resale but is still pretty good compared to others, and that's the one from Prominy. I even had a Prepared CP that I sold.

The thing about the CP is that some want the miked sound, some the electric sound, some want a mixture. Then there's the miking choices and distances issue, which makes a huge difference.

Due to it being a hybrid electro-acoustical instrument, probably there won't be just one library that covers all the bases. Each one seems to emphasize a different aspect that mattered to its creator.

But now I'm curious about the YC73/YC88 and what they have compared to the CP4 and the ReFace, and I think I'll check out the Purgatory Creek library now before I start cooking dinner.

FWIW of ones I sold, I thought UGI's EGP and XLN Audio's Electric Grand were pretty good, as is Pianoteq (modeled). I kept EZKeys Electric Grand as I sold all other EZKeys and need it to audition MIDI.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.php/product-category/kontakt/

Where do you see a CP library from Purgatory Creek? Granted, my eyes aren't what they once were, but I've looked three times now. I appear to have their complete collection.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I use the Purgatory Creek CP soundest in my Kronos as my go to CP70/80 patch.

Just curious, didn't Busch do a Vintage Keyboard Collection for the Yamahas (over at Purgatory Creek?) that included a CP-70/80? I seem to remember, but not sure if I have enough brain cells left to be sure. lol

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

There's a vintage CP70 for sale near me. My bandleader is asking me about it as he's interested in possibly purchasing it for his home studio. I told him he should be looking for a nice Hammond/Leslie setup instead. I know nothing about these CP70s. Thoughts?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

There's a vintage CP70 for sale near me. My bandleader is asking me about it as he's interested in possibly purchasing it for his home studio. I told him he should be looking for a nice Hammond/Leslie setup instead. I know nothing about these CP70s. Thoughts?

If it's a nice one at a reasonable price and you might get to use it, I'd say go for it! They are not all that common. I'd prioritize a Hammond and Leslie ahead of a CP70 if I was starting from scratch. In fact, I had my Hammond/Leslie for at least 25 years before I obtained a CP70 that I later updated to a CP80, which I've now had for 2-3 years.

Really depends on what your bandleader wants to do.

If it's a nice one at a reasonable price and you might get to use it, I'd say go for it! They are not all that common. I'd prioritize a Hammond and Leslie ahead of a CP70 if I was starting from scratch. In fact, I had my Hammond/Leslie for at least 25 years before I obtained a CP70 that I later updated to a CP80, which I've now had for 2-3 years.

Really depends on what your bandleader wants to do.

It's listed at $1500 which I guess is a good deal on these, not really sure though as there aren't many out there to compare. He has a half million dollar studio so this is just chump change anyway, lol.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I would explain to him that it was never intended to be a substitute for a real piano in a studio, and that's even more true today. Just to make sure he knows what he's getting... an instrument originally designed for stage and touring - that has picked up fans along the way for it's unique timbre.