Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Gadget VR

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying, trying, trying to accept this "virtual show" thing and it's not working for me. I don't want to follow a link that I think will give me some information about a product and be blasted with music that I don't like and video that doesn't relate to what I want to know. Believe in Music Week is full of crap like this.

A talk like Craig's is fine. The Dante Level 1 training is a good background in networking and how Dante uses it - worthwhile. Product demo videos like that Korg one, Bah! Humbug! Korg has a few new analog synths. Why not show us what the knobs do instead of playing a tune that may or may not involve that synth?

I've tried a couple of interactive things with manufacturers and none of them worked. Maybe you need to schedule them a week in advance instead of a day in advance. Neither a "booth appointment" nor a "Group Video Chat" yielded any contact. Maybe I need a 13 year old here to figure that stuff out. I can't.

October is a long way away, but maybe, just maybe, we'll have a live AES and NAB show.

I've been trying, trying, trying to accept this "virtual show" thing and it's not working for me. I don't want to follow a link that I think will give me some information about a product and be blasted with music that I don't like and video that doesn't relate to what I want to know. Believe in Music Week is full of crap like this.

A talk like Craig's is fine. The Dante Level 1 training is a good background in networking and how Dante uses it - worthwhile. Product demo videos like that Korg one, Bah! Humbug! Korg has a few new analog synths. Why not show us what the knobs do instead of playing a tune that may or may not involve that synth?

I've tried a couple of interactive things with manufacturers and none of them worked. Maybe you need to schedule them a week in advance instead of a day in advance. Neither a "booth appointment" nor a "Group Video Chat" yielded any contact. Maybe I need a 13 year old here to figure that stuff out. I can't.

October is a long way away, but maybe, just maybe, we'll have a live AES and NAB show.

Hey now, nobody's on your lawn!!! lol.

Korg is a business, for this VR "orchestra" to thrive they will need customers so they are driven to the lowest common denominator in exactly the same way that nearly all successful companies are.

EDM is the "thang" these days but, I'll guarantee you there will be movie soundtrack done with this new widget in the foreseeable future and it will not sound anything like EDM. Modern Classical composers will use it.

New music we've never heard will be created. Bands will be started based on one or two VR "players" and a lead vocalist/front person, and some of them will create beautiful new songs.

At some point they may even add a DAW that can record multi-track live through an ambisonic microphone and things will really get nuts.

I am truly glad to see this sort of technology unfold, there are exciting possibilities ahead.

At the same time, it cannot replace a virtuoso human on "instrument of choice" and is not intended to do so.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think it might be cool to have a VR interface for soft synths like Diva and such. Only I want the holodeck version where I don't need the idiotic ski mask and I can play a real physical controller. Wake me up when it's ready.

What if they make the mask look like Rodac from Space Giants, demonic, blue and with pointy shoulders? That would be cool...

Oh - Is that EDM? I'll go to sleep for another 20 years now.

EDM is one of many musics out there now. Top 40 CounTRY has been infested by current pop "beats" but roots music is alive and well in it's own niche and not going anywhere.

No reason to hide, there is great music out there and as has always been true historically, there is all sorts of stuff that you or I may or may not like at all. Mostly I don't like much of anything except local live music which is on hold for now.

No reason to hide, there is great music out there and as has always been true historically, there is all sorts of stuff that you or I may or may not like at all.

Of course that's true. But I have to go out looking for music that I like. The EDM stuff (and two measures of other genres looped for as much time as they need) just comes at me from all sorts of places, from background music for videos that might be useful if they had narration instead of flashing pictures, to breaks between news items on NPR, to telephone music on hold in genuine below-lo-fi.

A few years ago at NAMM there was a very early VR demonstration being given in a VIP room at some large company's booth, and Paul Vnuk snapped a picture of me sitting in VR goggles looking around myself like a baby bird exploring outside its nest. I put that photo on the front page editorial for one month, and I refer to it occasionally as a reminder that things have a ways to go yet, in lots of ways. I am only vaguely curious about this Gadget thing, and will unlikely follow up on it because I have not yet seen a killer app for VR and this ain't it.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music