Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Keyboard Players Unhappy People?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My most negative recent posting that I can think of was after the Hammond teaser that only showed us the monophonic engine, which I assessed as "martian farts at a Hammond price point." As the story unfolded with multiple promos and Alfredson demos, it looked better and better. Hopefully, it doesn't define my usual attitude.

Me, unhappy? Not usually. Either a cynic or a curmudgeon? Sure.

Grouch, n, a person who hates everything.

Curmudgeon, n, a person who has fun hating everything.

A dear friend of mine who hangs with Pentecostals once mentioned how a lot of people at her church said, "you really have a gift of discernment!" She countered, "Nah -- I'm just cynical; that's why I'm usually right."

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Haha, they're too smart for their own good, right? All those neurons firing. ;)

With great knowledge, comes great misery - you have to know how bad things are to realize it? :)

:cheers:

Chin up, mates. If you're still breathing and pain is tolerable, it's a good day!

:yeahthat::thx:

Me - looks in mirror, thinking "is he talking about me??"

Immediately reviews all recent posts to determine any possible unhappiness,.

After detailed inspection, concludes "nope, not me"

Breathes sigh of relief. Sets about concocting next OT post.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

We are living in a golden age of keyboards. I never remember so many synth products being introduced. Also, we have a ton of available used equipment that is still very viable. This seems to make our breed always looking for "the next big thing" because the stuff we have appears to be lacking. We are never satisfied.

The result is that we are focusing on the products and the technology instead of the actual music and the performance. I just glanced at the first page of this forum----at least 75% of the posts are about hardware.

I think that the whole idea is to use instruments to express ourselves and create art. At a minimum, we need to entertain people. The constant pursuit of equipment seems to hamper this goal, not enhance it.

Sorry for being preachy. I will be the first to admit, that most of my posts concern hardware instead of art. Also, I have too many keyboards to use regularly. I have three keyboards that I keep in a closet and rotate in and out of my studio every once in a while.

So, in regards to the OP-- He may have a point about unhappy keyboard players. We are looking in the wrong places to satisfy our real needs.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Honestly speaking, I come to this forum mostly to talk about gears and boards, and share experience and knowledge with fellow keyboard players. For me, art is too personal and sujective to be discussed in a forum. This is my view based on past bad experiences. I was once hangin' around on a French funk forum, and even among people who were supposed to share the same musical tastes, there were many nasty discussions about what was the best period for Funk music, who is the best Funk band; or people starting a thread about a new artist they like and other people starting to make bad comments about this artist and how stupid one is if he likes him, and so on...The forum is now completely dead as nobody posted anymore by fear of entering in the same nasty talks. So I didn't try to join another one after this.

Coming back to the main topic of this thread, I'd just ask one question: does the fact that somebody criticize a board (or several boards) makes him an unhappy person? I'm not so sure... But some people may be unhappy about some other things, and this could also be felt in what and how they are posting on this forum. But it's just an assumption :). I sincerely hope that boards are not making anybody unhappy. Otherwise, I'd just advice this person to look for another hobby :) Hobbies are meant to be fun and make one happy, aren't they??

Often when scrolling the forum, it sure seems there's a handful of people who just don't seem to be very happy.

The thread title conveys a different sentiment than what David wrote in his first sentence. (Not a criticism, just an observation.) Some of the responses are directed more at the title than this part of the content of the thread.

............. and like clockwork that same group of people I alluded to above chime in with every negative thought about it.

This comment focuses on the "handful of people" that post here, not the majority.

Are people just unhappy and use this to vent?

Some people love to bitch and it doesn't have anything to do with keyboards. They don't make enough money, don't have enough money, have a crappy car, house, spouse, etc., etc., etc. None of that was Covid related but Covid adds difficulty to most people's lives. (And I do know that some people really don't have enough money, etc.,)

Happiness is often a choice in the midst of unhappy life occurrences. Some people tend to be happy/positive/glass half full. Other people always look for the cloud that goes with the silver lining.

But some people love to bitch and ANYWHERE online is a great place to do that because they have a bigger audience.

Regarding gear, look at my signature line. The Motif an Receptor are quite dated. Just bought the Forte and it's over 5 year old tech. I have a Tascam Neo 2488 (old). I've figured out that the best way for me to improve my music is to sit down and write, play, record. I LOVE new tech and new boards but I don't really need them. I've learned to not only be happy with what I have but also realize that I'm EXTREMELY blessed to have the gear I have and am thankful for it. (That's my choice.)

Now, if we start talking about mini-keys, then yes, I'll jump on the complain train. :blush:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I think that some of the challenges we face as electronic keyboard players, compared to other instrumentalists, is that:

• The scope of what we expect and are expected to do as keyboardists varies wildly from person to person, band to band, and genre to genre.
  • Depending on that scope, competent keyboard playing might only represent a small amount of the time we spend at the keyboard.
  • Instruments that are designed to serve multiple functions are so complicated that the UX will likely never be "right" for all people and all purposes.
  • I think it's reasonable to say that "good" actions of various types (acoustic piano, organ-style, synth/unweighted) are on the market today. The challenge is that any one's preferred action is packaged into specific hardware/software configurations that vary in price wildly. It's not possible, generally, to find the action and/or UX you like, and then acquire that affordably independent of your sound/tone. Conversely, buying a new board to change up your capabilities, sounds, or UX, means having to change keyboard actions as well.
  • No other instrumentalist has to deal with "pro" level gear where they have to spend thousands of dollars for a less-playable version of their instrument. The human interface of a drum set, or a guitar, or a bass is going to be at or close to perfection at a basic level of financial investment. One can make a significant investment in a keyboard instrument with a frustrating and un-adjustable playing experience. In general, a guitar player is not going to pick up a $1000+ guitar that's been set up to their preferences and have a frustrating time playing, or find much that's unexpected (or that can't be changed with a few $$ and a competent tech). Throw a keyboardist in front of a random keyboard, and the playing experience can vary wildly, and there's nothing you can do to change it other than buy a different instrument.
  • Good design and good instruments have a shelf life, and disappear. Someone made your perfect version of a keyboard in 1997? Too bad, so sad. It's gone now, and you're not getting it back (well, maybe you will in a similar-but-not-identical fashion for a small number of profitable reisues/reimaginings).

The bottom line; we are hostage to the marriage of multiple forms and multiple functions and technology in a way that none of our other bandmates are. As expensive as our instruments are, it's reasonable that we'd be extra picky, and even cranky at times, about perceived failures of a mature industry and market to meet some fundamental needs in an affordable, reliable way.

I recall reading an article many years ago, in an archaic media form called a newspaper, which explained that (statistically) French Horn players were unhappy. The article was focused on musicians who play instruments in an orchestra or other classical music ensemble.

I agree with multiple statements above about the value of negative info, and I deeply appreciate the expertise shared by others on this board.

While I am at it, this is one of the best moderated forums out there (and one of the best respected by its members). This is a wonderful community - thanks.

@BluMunk: whoaa, that's a very good summary of what, we, keyboard players have to deal with :-)

I had a much more quiet and relaxed life when I was only playing bass in bands. But I started to play more keyboards because I found playing bass a bit too boring, and less fun (even though I still love playing bass...). Never spent any time hangin' around in a bass forum lol !!

@Harmonizer: I agree with your last statement, it's really a nice place to discuss about gears around here, with very nice and well educated people ;-)

I think that some of the challenges we face as electronic keyboard players, compared to other instrumentalists, is that:

• The scope of what we expect and are expected to do as keyboardists varies wildly from person to person, band to band, and genre to genre.
  • Depending on that scope, competent keyboard playing might only represent a small amount of the time we spend at the keyboard.
  • Instruments that are designed to serve multiple functions are so complicated that the UX will likely never be "right" for all people and all purposes.
  • I think it's reasonable to say that "good" actions of various types (acoustic piano, organ-style, synth/unweighted) are on the market today. The challenge is that any one's preferred action is packaged into specific hardware/software configurations that vary in price wildly. It's not possible, generally, to find the action and/or UX you like, and then acquire that affordably independent of your sound/tone. Conversely, buying a new board to change up your capabilities, sounds, or UX, means having to change keyboard actions as well.
  • No other instrumentalist has to deal with "pro" level gear where they have to spend thousands of dollars for a less-playable version of their instrument. The human interface of a drum set, or a guitar, or a bass is going to be at or close to perfection at a basic level of financial investment. One can make a significant investment in a keyboard instrument with a frustrating and un-adjustable playing experience. In general, a guitar player is not going to pick up a $1000+ guitar that's been set up to their preferences and have a frustrating time playing, or find much that's unexpected (or that can't be changed with a few $$ and a competent tech). Throw a keyboardist in front of a random keyboard, and the playing experience can vary wildly, and there's nothing you can do to change it other than buy a different instrument.
  • Good design and good instruments have a shelf life, and disappear. Someone made your perfect version of a keyboard in 1997? Too bad, so sad. It's gone now, and you're not getting it back (well, maybe you will in a similar-but-not-identical fashion for a small number of profitable reisues/reimaginings).

The bottom line; we are hostage to the marriage of multiple forms and multiple functions and technology in a way that none of our other bandmates are. As expensive as our instruments are, it's reasonable that we'd be extra picky, and even cranky at times, about perceived failures of a mature industry and market to meet some fundamental needs in an affordable, reliable way.

This is a great post. Sums a lot of it up perfectly.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My interpretation was that the OP was was claiming keyboard players were unhappy people as a trait

I could be wrong, though, because he seemed to be generalizing based upon his small number of "the usual suspects", which doesn't seem consistent with the thread title.

I saw it. I laughed.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm a member of a couple of hiking groups, where every trail is varying degrees of good. This thread got me thinking... why isn't it the same in here - or any musician forum for that matter?

I think it's because hikers view obstacles as challenges to overcome, whereas keyboard players view obstacles - whether it's key action, UI, or overall sound - as impediments to peak performance.

All obstacles can be overcome - at least partially. And sometimes an obstacle to me isn't for someone else - hopefully a thought I can keep with me for awhile.

I think discussion forums that involve critical analysis can sort of inherently generate the perception of having a negative bias. It is also true that negative information tends to be more salient than positive information, perhaps further contributing to this impression.

Great point!

I've been a critical analyst since childhood; thanks mom and dad! And I mean that both sincerely and sarcastically; it's been both a blessing and curse. Then the critical analysis imprint was further reinforced by piano teachers, and I pass that along to students... Thankfully I learned early on that there are ways to be clear and kind when critiquing.

I also agree with what Mike Metlay stated earlier in this thread. I've been a pro keys player and resulting gear geek for close to four decades (hard to believe, at times). While there are many players and programmers for whom I would quickly vacate the chair, the many years of doing this have generated a lot of opportunities for both delight and dismay. And certainly many here have witnessed more than a few 'what the heck were they thinking' moments from me, with regard to gear. We have so many great choices now, and user interfaces have been improving greatly (for the most part... :laugh:); but there are still recent head-scratchers, especially when items that were typically standard two decades ago are sometimes left off of current releases - especially widely used tools. But this 'perfect world' idealist has been learning to adapt. The music dept. chair in college reinforced the less-is-more concept frequently'; and I learned much then, and have since, about creative work-arounds. Maybe 'creative work-arounds' is a good, overall life lesson.

Generally most of my Musician friends, on any instrument, who are Pros and have devoted their entire life to one thing only, are unhappy simply because of the state of their livelihood. It was bad enough before Covid but now many see the future as incredibly bleak and in many cases, hopeless.

This does impact my overall happiness, though I'm trying to find joy in other ways; having some enthusiastic students has helped, plus a different and ultimately better church accompanying gig that became a necessity in mid 2020 (less $$, but I'm much happier). Though the pandemic has impacted all of us a performers, my prior live band experiences had been somewhat strange over the past 6-7 years. I do cover the chair for a specialty, tribute act, playing 5-6 times a summer. All the players are competent and versatile, so it's a fun show. But the leader does a lot of solo/duo gigs during the rest of the year, so I've needed to cover keys for other bands. The player competence there has swung quite wildly - as well as the frequency and quality of gigs, even pre-Covid 19. While the availability of good gigs has been diminishing over the past two decades plus, the players I've worked with had been consistently competent - especially in the Denver scene (prior to our move back the midwest).

As we come out of Covid-19, I'd like to find a different regional gig that needs keys. There are some good, consistent-groove and roots-oriented cover acts that have done a lot of the microbrew and summer fests we've attended. As the crap of the past year hopefully begins to fade, something like that appeals greatly; provided that type of work returns, post-pandemic.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Now that I have had a chance to digest all your thoughts (and I appreciate all of them):

I worded the thread topic poorly, and thank you to those who pointed that out.

I wasn't trying to make a wholesale general statement, and I am guilty of extrapolating based on my thoughts on this subject.

I never, ever mind reading reviews and critiques of instruments, whether or not I agree with said reviews and critiques.

What I was truly trying to articulate, while typing on my phone, and let me rephrase my original query:

Why does it seem that there's a small set of keyboard players on KC for whom negativity appears to be their only way of communicating?

I am not talking about specific things. It's seems to be negative thoughts about everything discussed here.

Topic examples:

Hey, there's new software out.

"It's going to suck" "What are they thinking?"

Why do you say it will suck?

" I just know it is."

Did you see the new keyboard from xxxx?

"It's sucks"

How do you know, have you tried it?

"No, but I am sure it will suck"

OT: Did you notice the sky is blue and it's nice outside?

"No , it sucks"

Have you been outside?

"No, I just know outside will suck...."

and so on and so on.

I think what got me over the last month is I've read a lot of posts like these over-the-top examples I created, and was just trying to figure where it's coming from.

The powers of the internet seemed to have lined up about 4 threads the other day that were literally "woe is me" kind of posts.

Again, to those who realized my topic title didn't match the overall body of my post, thank you.

Yes, some of it is how I perceive it. Maybe it's because I'm always the "glass-half-full" person all my life, so reading the barrage of doom and gloom the other day just sturck me hard.

Anyway, all is well, and I do thank you all for your thought out replies.

Now, I'm going back downstairs to play with my YC61 Organ tones and Keytar :) :) :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

unhappy people are friends and relatives of keyboard players.

They quickly discover the only reason they were invited to go with the keyboard player to their gig is because keyboardist needed a roadie to help them setup and breakdown. That weddings, casuals, and such aren't fun you're just someone who came with the band. The keyboardist drove you so your trapped. Then after the gig you don't get to go home the band is going to some dark diner for eat and unwind and get gross. Then if you're really unlucky the keyboardist is one of the band that's still all wound up and they decide bowling alleys are open 24 hours lets go bowling. Hey the sun is coming up and you're finally arriving back home. You have now learned that staying home with NetFlix and a pizza beats the hell out of going with your now former friends band to a gig. Well there is one exception that is bar gig. At least you can drink and party til last call. Then keyboardist is mad because you're too drunk to help them load out. Then rest of band tells keyboardist we're going to eat, but you better take home before they blow chunks all over.

Aw the music biz so much fun.

I recall reading an article many years ago, in an archaic media form called a newspaper, which explained that (statistically) French Horn players were unhappy.

Hey wait, I thought I was pretty happy! I was a horn major in college. (nit pick: no such thing as a French horn. (Oh, no, that means I'm a bitchy person!))

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I think what got me over the last month is I've read a lot of posts like these over-the-top examples I created, and was just trying to figure where it's coming from.

I've come to think some people here are allergic to sub $1000 keyboards. We should be compassionate to their afflictions.