Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vox releases some truly weird and innovative guitars

https://korg-us.com/vox-future-product-preview/

Not that I'm likely to want or need any of them, but give them points for breaking tradition and doing something new.

Is this the world's first arch-top modeling guitar? And what about the weirdo one with a built-in speaker?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shoot. Looks like they have been making 60"s style teardrops and Phantoms for a while.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Those aren't the newbies. It's the archtops that are new, especially the one with digital modeling, and I think the teardrop with built-in speaker and rhythm machine (a la Omnichord?) is also a new thing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Historically speaking, Vox guitars have never been "normal".

When I was a kid in Jr. High a friend of mine who was in the school band had a bolt on neck 335 copy with built in "repeater" (tremolo), distortion and not only a vibrato bar but another widget that was on a post in between the d and g strings behind the bridge that sort of looked like the business end of a fancy bottle opener - that was for the built in Vox wah wah pedal. Plus a pillow on the back like a Gretsch, I guess so you could change the battery. Weird.

6 on a side Vox "football" headstock too.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'd love to see a new Phantom!

+1,000. I have always liked the looks of the Phantoms. Except for the headstock design. If they would redesign the headstock and put some quality electronics and materials into the project, I would consider buying one. Maybe let customers have some input on a custom model. Singles vs humbuckers, bridges, frets, headstock, etc. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Many years ago I saw a Vox octave 12 string in a pawn shop in Fresno. Ask price was $350.

Fast forward a few decades and I saw Emmylou Harris on the Wrecking Ball tour with Buddy Miller on guitar.

He had one and it sounded magical.

I shoulda, coulda, woulda bought it but not smart. Wah!

Phantom Guitarworks in Oregon has been making reissues of the Phantom, Teardrop & Mando guitars in Asia for a number of years. I have to assume they are light years beyond the quality of the horrible original Voxes, even if they are just Squier or Epiphone level guitars.

https://www.phantomguitars.com

Scott Fraser

Will Sergeant of Echo & the Bunnymen uses a Phantom 12-string hollow-body, and they even have a hollow body teardrop bass guitar:

https://www.phantomguitars.com/teardrop.html

All models in the line seem to have mahogany bodies (I haven't checked on Vox guitar woods).

Phantom Guitarworks in Oregon has been making reissues of the Phantom, Teardrop & Mando guitars in Asia for a number of years. I have to assume they are light years beyond the quality of the horrible original Voxes, even if they are just Squier or Epiphone level guitars.

https://www.phantomguitars.com

Truth. Manufacturing techniques have improved, hardware design has improved and finishes have improved. Many of the older Vox guitars were made by Eko in Italy.

They can be pretty OK if you tweak them but the tuners and bridges are just not great designs and the heavy lacquer finishes are subject to cracking as the guitar ages and goes through temperature changes.

• 1 month later...

At one point in the mid-80's, Vox had re-issued a 12-string Octave Guitar. I keep waiting to see those coming back.

OTOH, my FLU(sed)MS had a listing recently for a Phantom 9-string Electric. If I only had $1,000 to spend . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 2 weeks later...

My first electric was a Teisco Del Rey copy pf the Vox Phantom VI. My mom & dad bought it at a Gibson's discount store(what later became Walmart) for $50-$60, IIRC, in the mid to late 60's. In all honesty, I couldn't really say if it was a good guitar or not; I had no experience to make comparisons from. It did work well enough, although I couldn't tell you the exact functions of the various switches on it. I'm sure there were 2 pickup on and off switches(it was a two pickup model), and there weren't a whole scad of them, but there were at least 4, and more likely 5. The whammy bar stayed in tune, but didn't have a very wide range of pitch, and you couldn't pull up on it much at all, or the spring would fall out. I sometimes wish I still had it, and not only because guitars of that sort are going for ridiculously high prices these days. I would like to see if the silly thing had a decent tone in comparison with my current harem. I believe it was called a Domino. It was black with a white pickguard, and the neck was natural wood color, made of laminated strips, with a dark(possibly rosewood) fret board.

I suspect it might be kind of tele-ish, Fender-ish for sure; the pickups were single coil. It would be nice to know. But I lost interest in it when I got a single pickup Gibson ES-140 3/4T, the first guitar I bought for myself.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.