Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Sammy Nestico

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite arrangers.

I'll also note that a lot of his tunes - even when meant for big bands - work well in the piano trio format. I've been playing some of his tunes in trios for years. Relaxed, swinging stuff no matter the instrumentation.

When I worked at the music school Sammy would do guest clinics on arranging now and then. I'd get to talk with him some when setting up his classroom, such a nice guy. I got to played so many of his charts in school and rehearsal bands. RIP Sammy and thanks for the music.

There was nothing like Sammy. His charts always swung so hard. And of course it helped when Basie played them. His arranging book was life changing for me.

...And his piano charts were overwritten (I know you know it) but still overall greatness.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

...And his piano charts were overwritten (I know you know it) but still overall greatness.

He certainly wasn't alone in that regard! Most big band piano charts are way too busy.

His wonderful arrangements will endure. I've played countless charts of his. Love every minute of them.