Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tim Bogert R.I.P.

This one hits a little close to home for me because 30 years ago I had a weeknight jam gig with Tim in Malibu at a club called Trancas that also included Marty Grebb on keys and sax and either Chris Pinnick or Buzz Feiten on guitar. I was primarily a drummer then.

Over a period of time I got to know Tim and I was frequently asking him about his Vanilla Fudge days etc. Occasionally he would get bugged by this ....he didn't seem like a person who wanted to be pigeonholed by the past.

Of course he was a fantastic bass player and singer. One of the few people I know who used to do vocal warm up before a gig. He took every gig seriously.

I had not seen him for years after leaving L.A. but I recall his dedication .When it was time to hit...you better hit!

It makes me sad to know he is gone....He was a hero of my younger years.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really sad one for me. Big event for me when I final got my drivers license one the first things I did was go to the Whiskey A'go-go and see a new band called the Vanilla Fudge of course with Tim on bass. Years later going to MI Tim was one of the teachers of the Blues and R&B performance classes I was a regular at. He was always so cool and helpful. Thank you Tim! RIP

https://deadline.com/2021/01/tim-bogert-dies-bassist-jeff-beck-vanilla-fudge-cactus-was-76-obituary-1234673436/

https://psychedelicsight.com/tim-bogert-obituary/

Still love that version of Superstition that he did with Jeff Beck. A very different approach from Stevie's original, but enjoyable in its own way.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In 1970, I attended a drum clinic hosted by Sam Ash Music's Hempstead NY store. Carmine Appice was the clinician and to everyone's surprise, Tim Bogert was there too.

One thing led to another and it became a jam session. Tim Bogert was a monster on bass. It went on for hours and Richie Ash joined in on guitar. That was a great night for Long Island rock-n-roll. Lots of local musicians huddled together and enjoying a pre-COVID world.

RIP Tim.

Steve Coscia

"According to legend, the talk of the town during that period was Jimi Hendrix, but that's not true. It was Vanilla Fudge. They played eight-minute songs, with dynamics. People said, 'What the hell's going on here? How come it's not three minutes?' Timmy Bogert, their bassist, was amazing. The whole group was ahead of its time. So, initially we wanted to be a Vanilla Fudge clone." - Ritchie Blackmore, Deep Purple

Loved VF when I was a kid. Used to close sets with their version of You Keep Me Hangin' On. Thanks for the ride, Tim.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

My High School band did a lot of VF songs. We even used to do our own VF arrangements of Beatles songs. The bass player in that band (Heaven's Sundae), Pete Bremy, is the current bass player for Vanilla Fudge!

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

As I said above it wasn't easy to get historical info from Tim but occasinally I would be sitting near Tim and Marty Grebb and he would kind of open up a bit to Marty.

I distinctly remember him telling Marty how much he respected Mark Stein but I never did hear any details about why the Fudge split up.

Another thing that I heard discussed was that Jimi Hendrix talked to Tim regarding possibly replacing Noel Redding. Tim then stated that he knew all too well about the Hendrix management issues and had heard from Noel about how shady the whole money situation was around the Experience. So obviously nothing happened.

Anyway it surprised me that he really didn't have any great gig options during this time which was around 1990. And that guys like Tim and Buzz Feiten were doing the same gigs that I was.Trust me..the pay wasn't that great.