Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer VCS3 Prototype

Here we go again. They posted a patch panel a few months back so everyone expected this. They want feedback on whether to take it further. It actually looks very good and seems a 1:1 replica but can't be sure. For me, I have to say I have reached saturation point with Behringer's media campaign. The recent surprise release of the P5/10 and the way in which Sequential kept it under wraps was refreshing. If they do release an OB-X I will probably never buy another Behringer synth and just sell my house so I can buy a P5 desktop and an OB_X. It's weird I wasn't so taken with Moog re-issues but the Sequential team seem to have me hooked.

Behringer VCS3

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The VCS3 was never a "keyboard synth," so I wonder who the main buyers might be. Its classically an FX/sequencer oddity, when its not acting as a screech monster. It doesn't feel Eurorack-friendly, either. You basically have to live within its own pins and joystick to bring out its best. It puts a new spin on the word unique. I can easily see X number of people going for an Oberheim revisit, but a VCS3 makes you WORK for your dinner in a very different way. Its so weird, each unit shipped should have a "Rick & Morty" sticker on it. Of course, my opinion is not approved by 'The Council' or The Secretary of Synths or anything like 'em.

I started on piano, so I'm a Luddite-light about the fringe realm of synths like this. If I'm good and go to Heav'n, I'll get a nice Emersonian stack. If its the other place, I'll get a rusty VCS3, an ARP Avatar, a koto and 22 Ibanez pedals with no noise gate. :eek:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On two other electronic music related forums that I frequent, there is quite a bit of interest.

On one of those two, the Erica SYNTRX VCS3 lookalike is well-received, but only by those who could afford one. Granted, the Erica is way, way cheaper than the real EMS VCS3, which is supposedly still in production for 5950 Pounds and 10 year wait.

http://emssynthesisers.co.uk/

I think the hubbub around Behringer releases will die off as it becomes just sort of a given that if there"s any true synth classic you really want, you can just go out and buy it, new, at an Everyman-affordable price.

Yes, there"s lots of truly valid criticism to be made, but that idea is actually nothing short of awesome.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Interestingly the SYNTRX was more about recreating an interface that promotes explorations "SYNTRX [sintrex] is developed from scratch all analogue synthesizer (no part of schematics is cloned from Synthi AKS) with digitally controlled patch matrix." https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/syntrx/

Yes, Erica did take care to emphasize their SYNTRIX is its own synth and not meant to be a clone.

I worked with the original for two years. I wouldn't take one, even a new one, if you gave it to me.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I worked with the original for two years. I wouldn't take one, even a new one, if you gave it to me.

I'm sure there are piles of cringeworthy stories behind that sentiment. And I'm also sure the rest of us would find them quite entertaining...

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/