Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil K2700

Official Launch Video!!

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the official page is up!

https://kurzweil.com/k2700/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Official Specs:

Keyboard:

88-key, fully-weighted action with velocity and pressure (aftertouch) sensitive adjustable keys (Fatar TP/40L)

Display: 480 x 272 pixel high resolution color LCD with adjustable brightness

Polyphony: 256 voice polyphony, dynamically allocated

Multitimbral: 16 parts (one per MIDI channel)

Architecture: Dynamic VAST: powerful synthesis engine, with user programmable DSP algs and routing.

Cascade Mode: route one layer through the DSP of any other layer within a program â up to 32 consecutive layers deep!

KB3 ToneReel Engine

6-Operator FM Engine

VA1 Virtual Analog Oscillators + DSP

Sample Flash Memory: 4.5 GB factory samples

3.5 GB of re-loadable, non-volatile, user flash memory

Factory Programs: 1500+

User Programs: 4000+

Factory Multis: 700+ (up to 16 independent controller zones)

User Multis: 4000+

General MIDI: No

Kurzweil String Resonance: Yes

Master EQ/Compressor: Yes

Effects: Over 1000 complex effect chains, incorporated into programs featuring our award winning effects â reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, phaser, EQs, distortions, rotary speaker simulators, compressors, and more

32 total FX units

Controllers: Monopressure (aftertouch)

1 pitch wheel

1 assignable modulation wheel

1 assignable ribbon controller

9 assignable sliders

9 assignable knobs

10 assignable buttons

16 assignable velocity sensitive pads

2 transpose switches

Tap tempo button and tempo knob

Arp controls

Transport controls

*2 switch pedal inputs each supporting single switch pedal or single half damper pedal (1 switch/sustain pedal is included; half-damper pedals sold separately)

2 continuous control pedal inputs

Sequencer: 16 Tracks; 960 PPQ resolution. Song editing functions include both event and track-based tools like quantize, swing, remap, controller scaling and more.

MIDI CC Step Sequencers: 16 simultaneous

Riffs: 16-per Multi

Arpeggiators: 1-per Program, 16-per Multi

Analog Outputs: Four (2 pairs) 1/4â³ balanced TRS analog (32-bit DACs)

Automatic mono switching on main outs

+21dBu maximum output

50Ω balanced source impedance

Audio Inputs: 2 combination 1/4'/XLR jacks (one stereo pair) accepting Line/Instrument/Microphone level signals.

Dedicated Gain knobs, Hi-Z switch for electric guitar/bass, and +48V Phantom Power switch for Microphones.

Headphones: 1 back panel 1/4â³ headphone output

130mW into 32 ohm headphones

MIDI: In, Out

USB: Stereo audio in/out over USB

Complete MIDI functionality over USB

Play and control the K2700 with a USB MIDI controller (USB host functionality)

User Object file transfer to/from USB Flash Drive

Operating System updates from USB Flash Drive

Software Editors: External editors for Mac OS X, Windows PC and iOS* devices

(*coming soon)

FREE OS Updates: OS updates via USB drive

Included Accessories: Power cable, Switch pedal, USB cable

Height: 5.5' (13.97 cm)

Depth: 15.5' (39.37 cm)

Length: 51' (129.54 cm)

Weight: 52 lb (23.58 kg)

Power: Internal power supply

My thoughts as well. But I see the lower price as a trade off. Without tax, that PC4 was actually $1350 :)

You won't find a new one for that price in the US (yet).

If you do the math, I don't think the K2700 will be all that much more than the PC4. Time will tell though.

One good thing - I'm pretty sure the K series has always had a 61 key version.

My initial impression is I'm impressed. I've never owned a Kurz board but am old enough to remember how popular / credible the 2500 was. From that video the workflow appeals etc. And add me to the list of people waiting on a 61-key version.

My thoughts as well. But I see the lower price as a trade off. Without tax, that PC4 was actually $1350 :)

You won't find a new one for that price in the US (yet).

If you do the math, I don't think the K2700 will be all that much more than the PC4. Time will tell though.

One good thing - I'm pretty sure the K series has always had a 61 key version.

With the K2600 it took them four years I believe to release the K2661. I don't know if there was ever a 61-key K2500.

My big concern right now is that they mention that the pianos are "optimized", which for the PC4 meant the same pianos with less samples (aka more sample stretching etc).

There's a stereo USB audio interface - awesome.

It looks like those pads are only drum pads and not sample pads like the FA. Hopefully that will be added in an update.

Hi,

The pads are really versatile.

In program mode they could control step sequencer or cc sequencer steps, they could trigger chords in the same channel or in a separate channel, user defined, but in multi mode they could be set also as switches, so they can have all the programmability that switches have, which is a lot. For example, one pad could be turning on-off a particular step in one of the 16 step sequencers, the next pad could be playing (different) chords in 2 zones the next pad could be controlling a step in any of the 16 cc seqs... Etc. Really powerful stuff.

Regards,

Fran

Hi,

The pads are really versatile.

In program mode they could control step sequencer or cc sequencer steps, they could trigger chords in the same channel or in a separate channel, user defined, but in multi mode they could be set also as switches, so they can have all the programmability that switches have, which is a lot. For example, one pad could be turning on-off a particular step in one of the 16 step sequencers, the next pad could be playing (different) chords in 2 zones the next pad could be controlling a step in any of the 16 cc seqs... Etc. Really powerful stuff.

Regards,

Fran

Thanks for the info! Glad there's a little more going on with them.

If you don't mind me asking, are the pianos more like the Forte pianos or the PC4 version of those pianos? I always vastly preferred the Forte variants from demos (Kurz dealers are very rare in my region).

It looks really cool, I gotta say. Features and all that aside, it just looks cool.

Agree. The best looking board I've seen in a while.

@hipogrito and/or Jim:

I have a questions in regards of USB MIDI functionality and even I read in the user guide already.

There are these 2 USB "computer" and "storage" ports while specs advertise "USB host" functionality.

Now,- when I connect p.ex. my Kurzweil PC361 via USB to the K2700´s USB (storage) port AND the K2700´s USB (computer) port to my (Win10) laptop running a DAW/ VSTi host,- does that establish bi-directional MIDI connection between PC361 and K2700 as well as between K2700 and laptop DAW/ VSTi host,- while still maintaining audio I/O via USB between K2700 and DAW/ VSTi host ?

:)

A.C.

It looks really cool, I gotta say. Features and all that aside, it just looks cool.

Agree. The best looking board I've seen in a while.

Yep, looks excellent !

I really hope build quality is a s good as it looks !

Can´t wait for a streetprice ...

A.C.

The documentation continues to disappoint a bit. Continuing the tradition of the PC3 and the PC4,

• They just did a cut-and-paste of the KB3 instructions from the K2600. Unfortunately, they still haven't provided the "bottom key" parameter that they tell you to adjust. :facepalm:
  • For information on FUNs, you need to go to the K2600 manual.
  • I'm not even sure where to look for DSP waveform functions

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

The documentation continues to disappoint a bit. Continuing the tradition of the PC3 and the PC4,

• They just did a cut-and-paste of the KB3 instructions from the K2600. Unfortunately, they still haven't provided the "bottom key" parameter that they tell you to adjust. :facepalm:
  • For information on FUNs, you need to go to the K2600 manual.
  • I'm not even sure where to look for DSP waveform functions

As a PC3 owner thanks for that info! I didn't know about any of that (new to the brand).

Interesting...the manual makes a brief mention of QA banks, or Quick Access banks in the Object Management section. Maybe they're back? :w00t:

Apparently the switch pedal inputs are dual zone, so you can connect up to four pedals (using dual pedals or whatnot). That's a good workaround.

Apparently the switch pedal inputs are dual zone, so you can connect up to four pedals (using dual pedals or whatnot). That's a good workaround.

Like on the PC4, they're TRS jacks in which you can plug (a) a plain old pedal with a TS plug; (b) a plain old double pedal with a TRS plug; or © a Kurzweil "half-damper" continuous pedal with a TRS plug.

Fun fact, the half-damper is compatible with any of the CC inputs on a PC3, presumably on the other models as well. I bought one for that purpose and love it!

-Tom Williams

What´s what you call "bottom key" parameter ?

On the K2500/2600 series, you can set both the number of drawbars and the lowest drawbar (or 16' key). That way you can add pedals, or you can save on polyphony if you only need a couple of octaves' keyboard, as in a split setup. The K2600 polyphony is only 48 layers, and each KB3 key eats about two layers, so that customization is helpful there. The PC3 / 4 / K27 manuals presume that the feature is still available, but it's not.

-Tom Williams

@hipogrito and/or Jim:

I have a questions in regards of USB MIDI functionality and even I read in the user guide already.

There are these 2 USB "computer" and "storage" ports while specs advertise "USB host" functionality.

Now,- when I connect p.ex. my Kurzweil PC361 via USB to the K2700´s USB (storage) port AND the K2700´s USB (computer) port to my (Win10) laptop running a DAW/ VSTi host,- does that establish bi-directional MIDI connection between PC361 and K2700 as well as between K2700 and laptop DAW/ VSTi host,- while still maintaining audio I/O via USB between K2700 and DAW/ VSTi host ?

A.C.

I don't think that's how it works. The USB storage port is just that; a port to connect a storage device like a USB flash stick. The correct connection would be MIDI in/out from the PC361 to the K2700 and then USB from the K2700 to the computer.

Someone close to me, and to this project, offered the opinion that it really should be called the PC5, as it"s more of an upgrade from the PC4 than anything else.

For quite a while in the early 2000s, my gig rig was a 76-key K2600 with a K2661 above it, and KB3 sounds going through separate outputs to either my Leslie 142 or a Voce Spin II simulator. If Kurzweil makes a 61-key K2700, I could see perching it above my Forte7 and making a modern version of the same rig for all the live gigs that currently don"t exist.

We have it so good now. There are so many ways to get to the same destination. If you're in Yamaha world, a CP73 (or 88 if you need those extra keys) and MODX â plus a clonewheel if you need a dedicated organ â packs a lot of punch into a minimum of weight. From the looks of the Hammond SK Pro, a lot of combo gigs could be done using it and nothing else.

As a longtime Kurzweil player, though (my first was a K2000, for which I maxed out a credit card in 1995), I am eager to get my hands on the K2700 and form my own opinions about its continuity with the rest of the line.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I don't think that's how it works. The USB storage port is just that; a port to connect a storage device like a USB flash stick.

So, how to connect a class compliant USB MIDI controller keyboard to the K2700 ?

Normally, the USB-B connector is on the USB MIDI controller´s end and you plug the USB cable w/ it´s USB-A plug into a computer´s or other MIDI device´s USB-A connector,- no ?

Only the "storage" USB connector on the K2700 is a USB-A connector !

On a PC3, the USB connector is USB-B as it is on my Edirol PCR 300,- and when I use a standard USB-B - to - USB-A cable,- the MIDI connection IS bi-directional w/ both the PC3 and PCR-300.

I doubt you´re able to connect a USB MIDI controller via an imaginary USB-B - to - USB-B cable.

Page-12 "Getting Started Guide:

USB Ports

Use the USB ports to connect the K2700 to a computer or USB hard drive in order to do the

following:

⢠Stream stereo audio between the K2700 and a DAW running on a computer.

⢠Use the K2700 as a MIDI controller to play software instruments on a computer/

tablet.

!!! ⢠Play and control the K2700 with a USB MIDI controller <<< How ? Which port ???

⢠Use a computer/tablet to sequence multi-channel MIDI songs on the K2700.

⢠Backup and restore User Programs and Multis on a USB hard drive.

⢠Update the software and sounds of the K2700.

The correct connection would be MIDI in/out from the PC361 to the K2700 and then USB from the K2700 to the computer.

That´s the other option.

But when it works like I think it should,- the Din-MIDI ports are free for something else in addition !

A.C.

MIDI over USB is always bidirectional.

Just based on how it works in the rest of the USB universe, using the kurz as a USB Host would require using the port labeled "storage." If you wanted to use that port to connect a storage device AND another keyboard controller simulataneously, you would need a USB hub to plug both items in... which Kurz may or may not support. USB itself certainly supports this (you can do it on a computer), but whether Kurz supports using a hub to connect multiple devices simultaneously (as opposed to only being able to use the port for one attached device at a time) is something we'd need to find out from them.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Someone close to me, and to this project, offered the opinion that it really should be called the PC5, as it"s more of an upgrade from the PC4 than anything else.

I have a hard time seeing this as a generational step up from the PC4. It's more a question of repackaging the PC4 feature set in a higher-end physical build with less of an obsessive focus on weight and cost reduction. I expect the PC4 finds its niche mostly among gigging musicians and those who are particularly cost-sensitive but still want a hammer action board, whereas the K2700 brings pretty much the same feature set to the studio or stage production crowd. The biggest question for me is whether it'll entirely replace the Forte in their lineup, or if they're going to try to keep it wedged between the PC4 and Forte.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I can't imagine they would drop the price of the PC4 a bit to make room, would they?