Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone recall this about the old Roland W-30?

My father who used to work for Roland just casually recalled that the Roland W-30 (1988) had "Open Architecture", meaning that the operating system came on external floppy disks, which means savvy people could write new software to enable it to do more things.

Does anyone have recollections whether that ever happened?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roland and Open Architecture would seem to be mutually exclusive terms based on my experience with them - in the 1980s - as well as later on. Do you mean to say that they distributed the operating system SOURCE on disk? That would have been an extraordinary departure from their normal practice... If true, I wish I'd heard about it at the time. I remember going down to their headquarters in Commerce? Ca back in the '80s and cajoling a couple of their engineers into selling me a copy of the maintenance manual and schematics for my Jupiter 4 and later the JX-3P out the back door, but there was never any source code on offer.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

My friend bought an Ensoniq ASR-10 in the early 90s (and still uses it). I remember that he was able to get some floppies that added new features (he had to have his mom write a check and send it to the address in an ad in the user group newsletter!). If I recall, he was able to add in a resonant filter, and a vocoder.

Do you mean to say that they distributed the operating system SOURCE on disk?

Nope, but just the fact that the instrument loads software from a disk means that someone determined enough could reverse engineer it much easier.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Just another short-lived Roland series sold with the promise of 'non-obsolescence' with their 'open architecture' software. In 1988, I bought in with the S-550, the predecessor of the W-30, only to have Roland drop support for it with the release of the S-7xx series two short years later.

Still have the S-550 (and a second one) with the proprietary add-on sequencer software, and the RC-100 wired remote control, and a couple of shoe boxes full with discs of samples and sequences. The proprietary mouse developed a terrible short and is a total pain in the patootie to use the system without it. Roland switched the wires around in the connector so no other mouse will work with it...ERG!

Back in the day the system was total cutting edge and I composed a bunch of fun stuff and several original scores to several local theater productions. Probably the peak of of my creative years. It was a great tool then and still produces unique raw sounds, but takes painstaking patience to load up disks and program sequences. Today"s tools are immensely easy to use by comparison. Shoot, this iPad has more processing power than a thousand S-550"s.

I still have mine! Mint condition! I believe this was one of the earliest all-in-one 'workstations', if not the first, to combine a synth, sampler & sequencer in one box.

Ahhhh, the fondest of memories. Great machine for its time.

Yes, the OS 'system' is on a floppy disk (The 'System' Disk). Sound libraries are still available, also on floppies.

The only 'hacks' I am aware of, is that the floppy drive can be replaced / converted to a USB drive, with the System Disk and sound libraries now available on a USB stick. Roland sampler data & sounds of that era can also be read and manipulated by the W-30. (I haven't made the conversion.).Parts, the drives, sound libraries, scsi conversion kit, and updated chip all appear to be available if you look around a bit.

I don't know of any hacks to the software, though. May be capable of being hacked, but even today's keyboards most likely have the built-in capability to do more than what we are fed, I think.

This site may have additional info: The W-30 Page

"You're either WITH me, or you're AGIN' Me!" (Yosemite Sam)