Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Recommend some movies.

I am often decades behind in movies, but we just watched Catch Me if you Can last weekend (Hanks, DiCaprio), and I really enjoyed it. Part true story/historical drama, part heist movie. The drama never dials up beyond a 5 or 6, but it's still exciting to watch the story unfold.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent ones, I really enjoyed The Vast of Night, on Amazon Prime. Know going in that this is a slow burn, very low budget movie that was shot in something like 20 days. There are a couple takes that are 5-10 minutes long, good acting and a very cool 50s UFO story vibe. There's one particular long shot in this movie that, in a big-budget one would have been cranes and CGI and high tech, in this case it was in part done with kids from town riding go-carts with cameras mounted on them :D

I'm getting pretty behind in movies so I'm not too much help on recent ones. More into shows when I watch at all. I have loved everything I've seen from Denis Villenueve (sp?) so far:

Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. I know not everyone loves that last one, it's long but it was a masterpiece to me. Really looking forward to eventually seen his Dune part 1.

Being both a sci-fi fan and someone who doesn't like unintentionally bad movies, this rules out a LOT of sci-fi...but one off the beaten path a bit that I really like is "Dark City". Kind of a crime noir tale and very well done IMO.

Huge Coen Brothers fan so just about all their movies. Recently watched Inside Llewen Davis, musicians can appreciate this even more than most people I think. Justin Timberlake doing a folk tune live in the studio was a bit surprising! :D I also had never seen A Serious Man until recently. O Brother Where Art Thou is a classic for the ages--also one to watch for music-lovers for the soundtrack.....as is the Big Lebowski (which I actually didn't like that much the first time, now it's my favorite comedy.) Their serious moves are excellent too, Fargo being one of the best.

People have some wide-ranging ideas of what falls under "light".

"Valerian" kinda flopped, for understandable reasons, but it's got some entertainment value. And, Herbie Hancock! (But, alas, no Willis or Jovovich; the actual main characters are kinda forgettable.)

Yeah, I found things to enjoy in Valerian, probably because I went in with low expectations. Some really awful plot holes and like you say, plastic forgettable characters, but some really cool scenarios and ideas too. At least it wasn't afraid to be a bit different from the norm (though apparently not nearly as out there as the comic it was based on.)

Walk Hard, The Dewey Cox Story

should be required viewing....

Another of my favorite comedies ever. We just showed it to my father-in-law for the first time a few months ago, and he said he liked it more than Spinal Tap.
Do you love to cook? Do you love to eat?

Big Night

Just watched this for the first time a couple of months ago! What a fun, interesting film. Tony Shalhoub, Stanley Tucci, Ian Holm... how can you go wrong?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Probably everyone's seen these by now, but I find Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok absolutely hilarious - the latter in particular with Cate Blanchett and Jeff Goldblum chewing up the scenery that sets new heights even for Marvel movies.

A few movies that might be funny at least:

Office Space

Employee of the Month

Napoleon Dynamite

I watch a lot of movies. I will add more as I think of them. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I always find it interesting to re-watch older movies that I have only seen on VHS (since the theater). Some hold up, some don't (IMO).

Alien looks amazing in HD; on VHS it's a dark blackish-green blur.

I played the Last Starfighter for my kid...and it's just too cheesy (not talking the fx, very early CGI) but rather the acting and sets. Gremlins on the other hand holds up very well. Wargames too, although my kids looked at the modem and were saying "WTF"....actually they barely even know what a "telephone" is let alone are able to grasp the idea of sending data over a "phone line"....and printing sheets out, and tape machines...

One of my favorite movies ever is Sideways with Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Late to this thread, but a few suggestions:

Margin Call

The Big Short

The American President

Wag the Dog

Dave

The Legend of 1900

Keep On Keepin' On

Aliens (Director's Cut)

Prometheus

Shine

John Wick

Pride and Prejudice (the BBC multi-part version)

Taking Chance

A Clockwork Orange

Dune

People have some wide-ranging ideas of what falls under "light".

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. That's why I suggested The Full Monty. Unconventional, light-hearted, funny, and a feel good ending.

Here's another:

Blazing Saddles

Difficult to make then. Impossible to make now or at any time in the foreseeable future. Still one of the funniest movies ever made and with a monster dose of satire in the mix.

"This is the hand I shoot with!"

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

More lighthearted movies

Talladega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

Porky's

Revenge of the Nerds

However, these movies are not underrated, they are generally rated up there with Citizen Kane, Vertigo and Apocalypse Now.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Silver Linings Playbook.

It's not light hearted, but there is some humor in it as you learn about the pain the characters are suffering.

The first 30 minutes are not fun, and there is a lot of the f-word. The male lead character has bipolar disorder.

Director David Russell's son in real life is bipolar, and his son gets a bit part in the movie, so this movie is a labor of love.

It's totally worth it if you stick it out.

On the light-hearted end, I'm a sucker for every one of the Anchorman, Talledega Nights, Step-Brothers, Walk Hard, 40-Year-Old Virgin etc. releases.

This Is the End is a favorite.

Two of my all-time favorite movies are Birdman and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

And the Obviously Best Movie Ever Made is Goodfellas.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I first heard about The Big Lebowski when I was watching one episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. The client for this episode had been advised by the matchmaker to not choose the 25-year-old girl for his date because of the age gap, but he picked her anyway. They're hanging out on his yacht and she goes "You've never seen The Big Lebowski??? Are you kidding me???". Date went south after that.

Big Lebowski is on my short list for top light-hearted films, though it gets violent at times.

Office Space is another.

For light and underrated movies that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, I'd recommend:

Sing Street

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3544112/

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2113681/

Better Off Dead

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088794

The following two movies may not be underrated, but they don't seem to get the love that "This Is Spinal Tap" does:

A Mighty Wind

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310281

Best in Show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218839

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

If by any chance you're a James Lee Burke fan, check out "In the Electric Mist" adapted from Burke's "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead" with Tommy Lee Jones killing it as Dave Robicheaux and (On topic musical tie-in) Levon Helm as a dead Confederate General.

I read the paperbook (plus every other book in the series) and that movie did it justice IMO.

I really liked the Sound of Metal. IMO it is deserving of the Oscar buzz.

Robert: If you liked the Pitch Perfect movies, you might enjoy binge watching GLEE. Aside from the teenage angst, there is some good music in there. And Jane Lynch is worth the price of admission.

In other suggestions that I haven't seen listed yet. Cheech & Chong's first 3 films, Super Troopers and the other movies by that same comedy troop - Broken Lizard (Club Dread & Beerfest)

The Princess Bride, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, some of Pauly Shore's movies (Biodome, In the Army Now, Encino Man, etc.). We also enjoyed some short-lived series: "Eureka", Warehouse 13,

and Adam Sandler has some funny stuff that's light and makes you laugh. Good luck with the winter blahs! If I were still in Knoxville I'd come see ya!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Aliens (the 2nd one) just popped up on my streaming and watched it, still a great movie. Remember when it came out and everyone was saying "Game Over Man, Game Over". Maybe about time to watch Ghostbusters again. I was living in a place with three roomates and put my VHS player in the living room for everyone to use. I had the VHS tape of Ghostbuster and my one roommates almost wore that thing out watching it almost daily after he'd get home from work.