Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential registering OB-X trademark

When they get the raw tone of the OBX and add more modulation sources/ destinations,-

all the features of the Xpander/ Matrix-12,- w/ the fat tone of OBX and SEM filter included as well

A.C.

I suggested this to Tom Oberheim a couple years ago

His answer was: "stay tuned" :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having owned an OBX, an OBXa and an Xpander I feel that it would be difficult to put those different characters in a single box, but conceptually it could be THE greatest synth so far. The Xpander/Matrix is basically a modular with amazing, refined analog sounds and OBX is the fattest synth I"ve used.

Having owned an OBX, an OBXa and an Xpander I feel that it would be difficult to put those different characters in a single box, but conceptually it could be THE greatest synth so far. The Xpander/Matrix is basically a modular with amazing, refined analog sounds and OBX is the fattest synth I"ve used.

I agree. I think Dave and Tom are smart enough to know that they can only tweak the OBX design so much before OBX fans will refuse to consider it a legit OBX, and more importantly, refuse to spend their money on the new OBX. I am not an expert in synth architecture from a design standpoint, but i'm guessing even just adding one more LFO would already impact the design enough to change it from OBX to something else.

Maybe after that, the two old buds can design a new uber-Obie for the moneyed nerds, but first they gotta ensure the cash flow keeps coming....

As a test ....link not working for me now but was fine other night

Tried the home page, that does not load.

Tried the link from this thread, it works... but do a refresh and it doesn't. It must had been loading it from cache.

Slashdot effect? DNS server down? Not sure. The URL isn't due for renewal but I had one other occasion that the DNS configuration got corrupted.

I think Dave and Tom are smart enough to know that they can only tweak the OBX design so much before OBX fans will refuse to consider it a legit OBX, and more importantly, refuse to spend their money on the new OBX.

I wonder if they (Dave and Tom) will throw a ine out to OB enthusiasts to determine how the OB-X should look, sound and must have features.

Otherwise, cashing in on nostalgia, *I* would just build the d8mn thing and let them follow with their wallets. :laugh:

When it comes to end user wants, wishes, gripes and complaints, today's technology makes revisions easier. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think Dave and Tom are smart enough to know that they can only tweak the OBX design so much before OBX fans will refuse to consider it a legit OBX, and more importantly, refuse to spend their money on the new OBX.

I wonder if they (Dave and Tom) will throw a ine out to OB enthusiasts to determine how the OB-X should look, sound and must have features.

Otherwise, cashing in on nostalgia, *I* would just build the d8mn thing and let them follow with their wallets. :laugh:

When it comes to end user wants, wishes, gripes and complaints, today's technology makes revisions easier. :D:cool:

When I think of the Prophet 5/10 Rev 4, it looks like Dave figured that what customers want in a new P5, is pretty much the same as the old P5. No extra LFO, no built FX, etc. I have no idea how much market research Dave and Co. did before going ahead with P5/P10 Rev. 4 production. I can only presume whatever market research was done on the Prophets will also be done for OB-X.

I'm guessing he and Tom will conclude the OB-X crowd will also want an OB-X, that is just like the old OB-X as much as possible. This is the safer bet, as far as getting a return on investment. Dave has clearly done well financially with his nice fancy car and all, but I doubt he's going to take unnecessary risks. I don't think they're going to listen to the one or two guys who want a mashup of OBX and Matrix 12 or whatever crammed into a keyboard with the OBX logo slapped on, unless one of those guys happens to be Jeff Bezos - then I'm sure Dave and Tom will be all ears.

ARP famously built the ARP Avatar and waited for the people to follow with their wallets... and waited... and waited... and waited....

I'm not saying that Dave and Tom should not innovate at some point while they're still around. I'm just thinking from the business perspective. Both gentlemen remember what it's like for business to go bad and lose control of their own brands. Both I'm sure remember what happened to ARP.

I played the OB6 at NAMM 2016 when it was released. To my ears it sounds closer to the OB8 and Xpander/Matrix-12. Has the vintage sound but doesn't have the organic girth of the OB-X. I'm sure they're aiming to fill a gap for a reissue OB-X that is faithful to the original and is not redundant to the OB6. I would love to see additions that the OB-X didn't have, like EG routed to VCO pitch or PW and all the modes of the SVF.

ARP Avatar? Apples and oranges. People didn't buy it because the guitar interface didn't work, and it certainly wasn't because of the Odyssey synth engine under the hood.

ARP Avatar? Apples and oranges. People didn't buy it because the guitar interface didn't work, and it certainly wasn't because of the Odyssey synth engine under the hood.

It's the product everybody says sunk ARP as a company. A big gamble of resources that they lost.

I don't mind the shootdown of the Avatar, but I just don't see what business incentive Sequential would have to make the OB-X anything other than a mostly faithful reissue with a Vintage knob.

It's the product everybody says sunk ARP as a company. A big gamble of resources that they lost.

I don't mind the shootdown of the Avatar, but I just don't see what business incentive Sequential would have to make the OB-X anything other than a mostly faithful reissue with a Vintage knob.

Still apples and oranges.

Avatar failed because at the time the technology did not exist to make a reliable guitar interface. ARP poured a huge investment into development and was unable to deliver.

Technology is not a problem with a DSI OB-X reissue.

Business incentive? Consider that unless they are properly restored, nearly every vintage OB-X is broken due to aging components and design errors. A reissue would be very appealing for customers who want the OB-X sound without the restoration expenses and maintenance headaches.

Business incentive? Consider that unless they are properly restored, nearly every vintage OB-X is broken due to aging components and design errors. A reissue would be very appealing for customers who want the OB-X sound without the restoration expenses and maintenance headaches.

On this forum, unless I misread something, people are asking for two different synths to have the OB-X logo stamped on it.

1. A reissue of the old OB-X, presumably with your proposed corrections to the circuit design errors, including choice of components

2. A super Oberheim of some sort, that has little in common with the old OB-X, other than the OB-X logo.

So the business incentive I am asking about is, which of the above 2 would Sequential have greater incentive to put into production, from a business perspective? 1 or 2?

I think a better analogy would be the Prophet T8 rather than ARP's Avatar. I can't find the exact quote now, but I remember Dave Smith saying something like this: "We thought we were building a synth that everyone wanted. As it turned out, no one wanted it after all."

After all these guys have been through, I'm sure they will do a good amount of market research to determine just how many updates and features they can add - and still have it accepted as an OBX to it's target customers. My guess is not many.

I'm amazed at how well the OB-6 has done. There's some mystique in the name that just sells. Even though the OB-6 is actually pretty limited it is still a very popular synth.

I imagine an upgraded version of it would do at least as well, although it might steal some of the OB-6s current market.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I'm amazed at how well the OB-6 has done. There's some mystique in the name that just sells. Even though the OB-6 is actually pretty limited it is still a very popular synth.

I imagine an upgraded version of it would do at least as well, although it might steal some of the OB-6s current market.

I think people bought OB-6 units because there's no other choice for a new polyphonic synth with the Oberheim name attached to it. My guess is the demand for new Oberheims will be in this order of popularity:

1. OB-X with Vintage Knob, velocity and aftertouch response - the equivalent of Prophet 5 Rev 4

2. Matrix 12/Xpander reissue with velocity and aftertouch response, maybe MPE - a fairly distant second

Looks good @The Real MC.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments