Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Recommend some movies.

Anyone got any good, underrated, light hearted movies to get through trying times and winter months? You know, fell good movies. I've been watching

Now you See Me 1 and 2. Fun movies. Good cast. Not too deep or meaningful.

Pitch Perfect - Okay, okay. Stop laughing at me. I enjoyed the movies. Granted you have to believe that college kids can spontaneously break into heavily arranged vocal mashups with perfect harmonies. But is that any different than believing that people can break out in spontaneous dance numbers like they do in Singing in the Rain?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interstellar. ;):hider:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The Pitch Perfect movies - one of my favorites! a beautiful picture, good actors and in fact you don't need to think about anything. just watch and enjoy. and, of course, who hasn't learned to play that "cup song"?)

So, okay, from the last films - this is definitely "Knives Out" - one of the best films in recent years, as for me. although there is a rather complex and convoluted plot, but it is definitely worth attention, and plus there is a wonderful cast!

Also one of the films that got me hooked is the platform. it is heavy, makes you think a lot, in some places even disgusting, not for the faint of heart, but I would still recommend it for viewing.

And from light and cheerful - "good guys" - a little trivial and dull, but you can laugh heartily!

Music-maker via Launchpad Pro

Life-lover

Marketing manager of work time company

If by any chance you're a James Lee Burke fan, check out "In the Electric Mist" adapted from Burke's "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead" with Tommy Lee Jones killing it as Dave Robicheaux and (On topic musical tie-in) Levon Helm as a dead Confederate General.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Big ups for Buckaroo Banzai, Interstellar, and especially Seven Samurai. Passengers is very pretty to look at and has a positively heartbreaking premise, but has plot holes a horse could jump through. The first five minutes of Gravity are worth the cost of a ticket in a real theater (remember those?) but everything after that is garbage.

Other faves of mine:

pretty much any Marvel movie, especially the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man films, the funnier the better (they're all funny, usually intentionally, but the ones deliberately played for comedy are wonderful and stand up well on their own)

Greyhound and Battleship (the sublime and the ridiculous in terms of naval war movies)

The 2014 Godzilla remake (the best kaiju film of all time since the original Godzilla -- even the Japanese loved it and said it respected the material beautifully)

The Russian films Tankers and T-34 (the latter with some of the most delightfully idiotic slow-mo CGI battle scenes ever)

Hacksaw Ridge (all the more amazing because while there's a lot of dramatization early in the film, the stuff that actually happens in the battle was all real)

Love, Actually (sappy and idiotic but also beautiful and funny and touching)

Arrival (beautiful, believable, and heart wrenching at the end)

Ad Astra (by far the most underrated sci fi movie of the past 5 to 10 years)

First Man (the first real character study of what a fundamentally broken man a test pilot has to be)

Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 (an iconic movie and wonder of wonders, a sequel that doesn't fuck it up)

And finally, my favorite movie of all time -- Tampopo by Juzo Itami. A glorious look at the wonders of man's relationship with food. It's wonderfully funny in many places, deeply thoughtful in others, hilariously filthy in a few spots, and beautifully shot and directed: it's the very first film to use the cinematographic technique of ending a scene and then panning the camera to pick up a character in the background, follow them, and start another scene without a break... and in the titanic combat between the hero and his rival in love for the leading lady, containing the single best fight scene in any movie ever.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Another thumbs up for Buckaroo Banzai, also Fifth Element, 12 Monkeys, Being John Malkovich, Starship Troopers and Atomic Blonde. For some teenage angst Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, and Ferris Bueller Day Off. A movie with some cool Jazz is Robert Altman's Kansas City and Mo Better Blues, Bird, Round Midnight. A film on the dark side of Jazz, Low Down based on life of pianist Joe Albany based on a book written by Albany's daughter. I'm a big Spike Lee fan so any of his big movies. I'm also a Denzil Washington fan and one of his early movies Devil In A Blue Dress. A detetive kind of movie takes place in L.A. post WW II. For a lot of laughs and funky soundtrack Undercover Brother.

Don't watch movies as much these days, except for the teenage angst movies the rest are movies I do still enjoy.

And finally, my favorite movie of all time -- Tampopo by Juzo Itami. A glorious look at the wonders of man's relationship with food. It's wonderfully funny in many places, deeply thoughtful in others, hilariously filthy in a few spots, and beautifully shot and directed: it's the very first film to use the cinematographic technique of ending a scene and then panning the camera to pick up a character in the background, follow them, and start another scene without a break... and in the titanic combat between the hero and his rival in love for the leading lady, containing the single best fight scene in any movie ever.

No wonder you and I seem to get along so well! My favorite comedy of all time as well. I never thought of the similarities between the Western gunslinger and Japanese samurai archetypes until I watched this film.

Not too many fight scenes that are hilarious, but that was one of the best for sure, just edging the ridiculous "Put... on... the... glasses...!" fight in They Live in greatness

I still need to order the Blu-Ray edition.

Hot Fuzz (a buddy cop pastiche from the same team that brought you Shaun of the Dead) is one of my absolute favorite comedies of all time. It's basically an American action flick set in a rustic English village. Not a wasted line in the script.

The third film in the loose trilogy, The World's End, is also excellent, but a little heavier in tone and subject matter (it deals a lot with alcoholism and not being able to outrun your past).

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Good, light hearted. Let"s see:

Burn after reading

Safety not guaranteed

Meet the feebles (NSFW)

(Any of the 'Cornetto' flicks)

RED

Kingsman

The Gentleman

Logan Lucky

Payback

Shoot em up

A league of their own

Kelly"s heroes

The castle

All of these are high-quality flicks that don"t take themselves too seriously. Some are a little on the violent side.

They may or may not be underrated - but certainly not by me.

Or just watch The Fifth Element like 20 times. There's something about that movie that just cracks me up.

You're looking for light faire here right?

I watched Guns Akimbo and found it surprisingly entertaining

Musicians should like Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. Some seriously funny, juvenile humor. Aubrey Plaza steals the movie.

Neighbors. Very funny, very juvenile. Neighbors 2 and 3 get progressively less funny.

Zombieland makes zombies fun! Cardio! The sequel was watchable.

Someone mentioned Burn After Reading, which I also found funny, but not many others did!

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Anyone got any good, underrated, light hearted movies to get through trying times and winter months?

Contact: GOOD? Yes UNDERRATED? Yes LIGHT HEARTED? At times, but mostly thrilling and emotional. The greatest movie of all time.

More recent:

Queens Gambit: GOOD? Yes UNDERRATED? Yes LIGHT HEARTED? At times, but mostly quirky and awesome

Shot Caller: GOOD? Yes UNDERRATED? Yes LIGHT HEARTED? No. Heavy, violent. Added here just because I watched the other night, really good with a guy from Game of Thrones

Not a movie:

The Office - binge watch: GOOD? Yes UNDERRATED? Not really LIGHT HEARTED? All the time - the best ever

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

...I watched the Eddie and The Cruisers movies a while back as well for fun :)

I was involved with an extra in that movie who I met as it was being filmed. The movie aged better than the relationship. Or the girl, for that matter.

Lots of great choices here. The Coen brothers got a nod already but don't neglect the one that put them on the map, "Blood Simple."

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Peter Sellers, 'The Party'

Michael Clayton

Tropic Thunder

Royal Tennenbaums

No Country for Old Men

Arrested Development

Cheers (Season 1)

UK and US Office (UK is genius)

Hot Fuzz

Knives Out

PARASITE

Lady Bird

Manchester by the Sea

Magnolia

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Coen brothers got a nod already but don't neglect the one that put them on the map, "Blood Simple."

GREAT film and often overlooked in discussions of the Coen brothers but definitely not a light choice (same for Miller"s Crossing and Barton Fink). Sort of 'Texas noir' with a super performance from the great character actor M. Emmett Walsh. Blood Simple also put Frances McDormand on the map.