Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FP-X Series

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the FP-90x, 60x and 30x now support Audio/MIDI over USB and Bluetooth. The FP-10 didn't receive any updates.

Other upgrades for the FP-30x

- L/R 1/4" audio outs

- 256 Polyphony (Piano: 12 tones, E.Piano: 20 tones, Other: 24 tones)

- Setting for optimising the sound when placed on a desktop

- Record Audio File (WAV: 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear format, requires USB flash drive)

For the FP-90x

Looks like the FP-90X now includes the older SuperNatural pianos. The specs list 20 pianos, but only the first 8 pianos have the limitless polyphony of the PureAcoustic pianos; the last 12 pianos have the 256 polyphony of the SuperNatural pianos. [Max. Polyphony Piano: Limitless (Solo playing using No.1 to No.8 tones in piano category) Other: 256]

Other notes:

I noticed there was mention of using Roland's Behavior Modeling Core chip (BMC) vs. the previous model, the SSC (Sound System on a Chip). Looks like their products are moving to the BMC hardware and probably explains all the new standardized features. On Roland's synths, Zen-Core runs on the BMC hardware, on their pianos PureAcoustic and Supernatural modeling runs on the BMC hardware.

There's some info on BMC in this article (further down the page).

https://www.roland.com/global/promos/jupiter-x_story/

That's seriously such a nice feature (audio and midi over usb). Provided they have a class-compliant interface of course for easy ipad integration. I've love to see manufacturers other than Yamaha and Roland do this

MainStage and Zen-Core compatibility (with 3000 sounds already included) and SuperNatural electric pianos (as well as acoustic). And it"s more of a a stage oriented piano, with cc controls and lots of effects. Plus several tidbits, like line (and mic) in. But the FP-60X will do nicely for home use, and adds Bluetooth.

Considering the new pricing, what do you like about the RD-88 vs. the FP-60x?
~ 30 lbs vs ~43 lbs. The FP will have the better speakers, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Still lovin' the FP 10...in my opinion still the lightweight champion in the under $ 500 and 25 lb. Weight class.

This new line could possibly be the reason why Roland has pulled back on FP 10 availability. I am really looking for ward to seeing what is being done with the FP 30x.. I am pretty much done with spending over $1000 for anything.

If they could give us has a decent Rhodes this time...is that a lot to ask?

Still lovin' the FP 10...in my opinion still the lightweight champion in the under $ 500 and 25 lb. Weight class.

This new line could possibly be the reason why Roland has pulled back on FP 10 availability. I am really looking for ward to seeing what is being done with the FP 30x.. I am pretty much done with spending over $1000 for anything.

If they could give us has a decent Rhodes this time...is that a lot to ask?

At the price point of <$1k....it depends.

My 1st question would be which Roland KB(s) has the best Rhodes to your ears?

Then, it becomes a matter of whether or not Roland can port that sound(s) over to a cheaper KB while maintaining the sonic integrity and playability of it.

I do not believe Roland does a new round of sampling sessions for each KB they produce. I think they place old samples on a newer microchip conforming to the processor in the "host" KB. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My 1st question would be which Roland KB(s) has the best Rhodes to your ears?

Yeah, that's a problem right there. The Integra-7 has the SuperNATURAL modeled EPs as well as the SRX-based EPs... and none of them knocked me over. I didn't like the VR-09's EPs either, but the one added in the VR-730 might be a contender.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My favorite Roland Rhodes that I have heard is in the RD300 GX.

I haven't heard all of them...havent spent much time with the RD 2000 or RD 88. The default RD88 was not much to my taste but there must be more...dont want to put it down.

I have a Yamaha mx49 and to me...the 300gx Rhodes is much more musical than anything in the motif sound set

the mx49 uses. The RD300 gx is over 10 years old now but I probably will never sell it.

I had an FP30 about 18 months ago and from what I can tell the FP10 is different in a good way. Hopefully a precursor to these new Rolands. I don't hear much not to like in the FP10 sample with good phones and a tiny bit of low end EQ.

My favorite Roland Rhodes that I have heard is in the RD300 GX.

The following EPs were offered in the RD300GX released back in 2008:

StageE.Piano

Stage Phazer

60'sE.Piano1

60'sE.Piano2

FM E.Piano

70's E.Piano

EP Belle

D-50 E.Piano

Vintage EP 1

Vintage EP 2

S.A.E.P.

These are fairly "common" sounds in Roland KBs. IOW, I would imagine the samples or very similar exist in their FP series DPs.

Again, if there is a difference in how they play and/or sound, it probably comes down to the KB itself. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"