Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pratt Read Practice Piano

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have something similar my dads silent piano (I think it was an odd 83 keys) that I don't know who made it. Now you have me curious to delve deeper as I let my P5 go but kept my P5 remote keyboard (prat read) which of coarse is silent as the P5 buyer said only have got the remote as a source of key spares for if the P5 needed any down the track (although I don't think there is that need). I happily agreed not to sell it to him as I felt a virtually unused and very rare P5 remote shouldn't be squirelled away for the off chance the P5 needed keys down track. He agreed that it would be a shame.

..but maybe this silent piano I've got is same keyed and is a worthy donor...it never occurred to me cheers for the thought,

I'll try add a pic here tomorrow of it when on my computer

Interesting...I remember reading that Jim Brickman's family was really poor and as a child he cut out felt strips and arranged them in a keyboard pattern so he could "play" since they had no piano.

I do find I can "hear" tones in my head without something being turned on. Just like how I can sort of practice without a keyboard in front of me by visualizing keys and using my hands/fingers like I would if actually playing. Looks kind of weird to others though. ;)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

In follow up to my previous post here are the photos of my "silent piano" 85 keys in a plywood case. I compared it to my Remote Prophet & it is different keys & feel with very heavy springs. So definately not same keybed. But I think important to show there were a few manufacturers. If anyone can point me in direction of a manufacturer of mine Id appreciate.

I had it for sale just before Covid hit but removed it when lockdowns commenced. Previous to listing mine I had never seen another advertised on the common selling websites here in Australia. But since we came out of lockdown I saw 2 silent pianos advertised but both different to each other but one showing similarities to mine. I was hoping a collector would buy it but now 2 emerge a reason not to put mine back up for a while. But may be a covid timing thing of people selling there stuff to keep surviving like I will be doing soon again.

edit: 85 keys from A to A

1743.jpg.5b19bd904b80853932314142195d1114.jpg

1744.jpg.56e14e2280ecd915b13cb1c8dc3200bc.jpg

PCxybwWk_o.jpg

How's the thousand piece puzzle coming along Michael? :laugh:

Cant wait to see him finish...Its part of the Pratt & Read keyboard/synth kit. You finish the puzzle with the Pratt & Read keybed & you have a fully functioning Prophet 5.

This was a kit put out pre those zany magazine subsciptions that you bought 3 years of magazine to build a synth piece by piece.

I think here in Aussie we could buy them in our Tandy stores [your Radio Shack I believe] in the high end kit section.

But when Dick Smith [famous Aussie electronics retailer] challenged Tandy's dominance on the Aussie electronics market Tandy [Radio Shack] let the hi price kits go hence why these Prophet 5 1000 piece puzzle kits are so rare here in Aussie. This is why many of the surviving Pratt & Read keybeds are silent is that the kit builder could never get the 1000 pieces of the puzzle right.

Always a piece out of place would have dire consequences on the circuitry. So silent Pratt Read synth/keybeds appear every now & then in an unfinished state...

"picking my nose" or maybe Im wrong about that.....