Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I don�t need coffee, I just need sleep and exercise

Those of you fortunate enough to still have a job (remote or in the 'office'), if you"re like me - these long days (and nights) on the computer are making me very sedentary. Ah heck, even if you"re out of work, inactivity is no good. I have more energy if I can squeeze a walk/jog in but it"s cold and the days are still short. What have you been doing to keep your health and attitude up?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't drink coffee. Too bitter to me. I'm sensitive to bitter. Since I retired I went from 6 Pepsi's a day to 1/2 of a Pepsi for breakfast. I keep running through hobbies. My latest is FPV drones. Starting with the 3" size that can fly indoors. Lots of changes in store for the drone camp. Government regulation running wild.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I work at home too and we are having a notably wet winter. It is predicted to rain on and off all this week and well into next week.

Every morning after a shower I stretch my hamstrings. I've done that all my life and highly recommend it. It's simple and no equipment is needed.

Sit on the floor and one at a time - bend your leg at the knee, grab your knee in your hands and pull it towards your chest - pull your right knee towards your left side and vice versa.

This stretches out your gluteous maximii or "ass muscles". Then put your legs flat on the floor, feet together and reach for your feet, keeping your head as close to your knees as you can.

I alternate which foot I am reaching for first, left, then right and then both. Stay with your head down towards your knees for a reasonable length of time, to allow your hamstrings to stretch.

Last but not least, stand up straight, relax your upper body and dangle your hands towards the floor. If you can touch the floor, so much the better.

I've been doing this nearly every day for decades, at 65 I can reach my toes fairly easily. When I don't do it, I don't feel nearly as good.

When weather allows I take a 35-40 minute "Sanity Walk" through a nearby neighborhood. This includes 10 minutes of brisk walking up a mild incline.

Gets the endorphins flowing and improves the mood immensely!!!!

Other days, I put a CD in the player, slap on some headphones and rip along on my Schwinn Aerodyne for 6 songs or so. That is good too, I like the walk better for the fresher air.

Coffee? 2 good sized cups of freshly ground - 12 grams of beans. Just in the morning and just 2 cups. I do that for 2 days and then one day of green 2 (3 cups), which is milder. Today is a tea day, just dropped the bag into the second cup.

It's been working pretty well for me so far. I avoid caffeine after about 9:30 am or I will have trouble sleeping.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I also work from home, and have been very fortunate in that the pandemic has barely changed my lifestyle at all. Here in too much detail are the elements of my life relevant to EJF's original question:

Health: I am too mean-spirited and snarly to let shitty weather stop me from walking. I get out and do 4 to 7 miles at least 4 to 5 times a week, rain snow or shine. Living in a smaller city with less sidewalk traffic helps a lot; I actually avoid the trails and greenways that are plentiful around here because they're MORE crowded. Also, at home I take frequent breaks from the computer to think about stuff while pacing around my office. And I do mean pacing... I can do over 2 miles in a day without even leaving the house.

I'd be a lot healthier if I could get my eating habits under control.

My wife joins me on shorter walks in good weather (which is thankfully common in Colorado at our local altitude) when she can; she is far more sedentary than I am and I do worry about her long-term health.

My daughter, who has (to put it mildly) a very nervous disposition that she almost certainly inherited from me, always worries when I go out in bad weather, and I respond to her that if she'd prefer to find me in bed with a sheet over my face, that's on her. She gives in most of the time.

Attitude: Between music (listening, recording, editing, composing, and radio show hosting) and my other hobbies (primarily Second Life when alone and scouring our streaming services for interesting things to watch with my wife -- currently binging on For All Mankind and loving it, since both of us have heavy background in knowing about NASA in the 1970s), I simply don't have time to be bored.

My main problem is getting enough good sleep because I have too much going on. Naps help.

Caffeine: I only drink herbal tea these days, and I very rarely treat myself to a caffeinated soda. I prefer seltzer for a variety of reasons, lack of caffeine being one of them. Living in Colorado also requires an enormous amount of water consumption; the altitude and low humidity literally suck the water right out of you. On a good day I consume 3 liters or more in addition to other beverages.

I do consume chocolate, and probably too much of it, but coffee is something I'm not allowed to get near, according to Colorado state law. The last time someone gave me chocolate-coated coffee beans as a joke, I destroyed roughly 50 miles of road surface on my subsequent run (it turns out that asphalt peels up like ice cream under a scoop if you dig in hard enough -- who knew?), and when I finally got tired, they found me dug in with both hands and feet on the ceiling of a grocery store and had to pry me loose with a crowbar.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Good health is all about habits, suppressing the bad ones, encouraging the good ones. Making changes is the product of a conversation between the person you are and the person you want to be. The first step is to give the "to be" person a voice, let them talk, give them a chance. The wonderful thing about all this is that feeling good and following good habits is addictive. You just need to get started and start to see some rewards (more energy, better sleep, a clearer mind), and you'll want more.

I have one ironclad rule, which is never let a day go by without some kind of exercise. Inertia vs momentum. Being sedentary for one day just makes it easier to be sedentary the following day. Being active every day just makes it easier to be active the next.

We have an exercise bike bought on Amazon for $130 (unfortunately it's more like $200 now due to pandemic demand). It's 35 lbs and folds up for closet storage. On days we can't get outside, we use that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I take regular breaks and go a walk around the block, usually just before lunch. I allow myself to be much more relaxed when working at home. Still manage to get everything done. It's trickier on the days when my wife is working too, as we have 2 young kids to look after. Sometimes I'll take an hour or two off and just take them to the park to let me wife get stuff done. Couldn't do that at the office, but work don't mind.

I'm scared of taking a break on the piano, because I know if I start doing that during work hours my productivity will collapse!

When I started allowing myself to do these things my whole attitude about working from home shifted and I'm much more relaxed now than I was early on in lockdown. As I said, the folks at work don't mind so long as everything gets done, which it does. If I'm honest there are days I wish I could go into the office to get away from the kids, but hey ho!

When evening comes, I try not to waste time watching Netflix or YouTube (which just kills my mind) and spend my time either practicing or reading. We also got a treadmill which we've set up in our garage, which lets us run no matter the weather. That's been handy.

For musicians, playing live is one of the things that gives us life, and having that taken away has been a big hit for many of us. These times sure are tough.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Unfortunately I love going to the gym and quitting that has been tough. Running hurts my knee but I've been doing a lot of fast walking and at least haven't gained weight...but neither have I gotten in shape like I wanted. Diet is the main issue, and being at home is not good since various family members feel the need to buy more junk food than I personally would like to see. They are not forcing me to eat it so the blame is on me, but I've always done better when its not in the house at all.

I drink a LOT of coffee, likely too much, but hey if I have to have a vice that's not the worst.

Those chocolate coffee beans are crazy powerful even to a person like me, they are to be avoided. I thought I was having a heart attack the last time I ate some.

Mentally, this year has been the worst and covid is like third on the list...just a terrible, terrible stretch and it's hard to muster the energy to do music. Walking on the other hand feels more like an escape (I am literally escaping the house) so I take at least two walks a day.

No gym, no basketball (with others), and no band gigs. Those aren't the worst things that are going on but by hell I'd probably feel a bit better if I could do them.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a national scenic area as well as less than a block from a track (all planned in my retirement) and echo others' suggestions to get out of the house to pick up your moods. Walk, run, hike, bike... whatever floats your boat.

Even in winter weather. It really helps.

Great shares, guys.

I also like to bike. Put a cheap hitch off Amazon on the car two years ago. Has been wonderful for getting to the park safely for a good long ride. My kid is old enough to ride, often the Mrs. comes too. Little interest in it during the winter though.

My dog turns 13 this year. She"s still good for a walk with me. In her youth, I built up a good 2-4 mile walk daily. Rain or shine. I was feeling most fit during that time period - and walking is very stress relieving, especially if you have some woods or a beach or some alternative to the concrete jungle nearby. I"ve recently started this again, and it comes back quickly. Good for doggy, good for me.

Unfortunately, hobbies wise - I like making things with computer. Tracking in the DAW, photo and video editing. But more computer time is not what I need right now. When the weather gets a little better I"m going to get into fixing some things up around the house. Painting, updating some electrical, yard work again. Winter is a bit of a doldrum even when there"s concerts, shows, malls or what have you to go to.

Coffee, I skipped it in my adulthood for starting mornings, I loved the kick start, but the crash is no good for me. Especially if I take two sugars. The headache is enough to ruin the rest of the day for me. On the other hand my dad started his day with one cup most of his life without issue.

I usually exercise first thing in the morning. Strength training 3x a week and some kind of active recovery (eg. joint mobility, stretching)) on the in-between days. I got the Isochain on Black Friday sale and am using that for my strength training. It's a high-tech version of the chain-and-bar isometric training device that was used by Bruce Lee, Olympic weightlifting teams, bodybuilders, etc. years ago. The high-tech bits allow the bar to sense how much force you're applying to the chain, beep when you reach a target load, and act as a timer. While the Isochain is a new design, isometric exercise itself is actually quite old, and well-reserached.

Other exercise includes walks in the neighborhood and standing more in general, like when I'm messing with patching the Matriarch.

I guess I could be a little stricter with my intake, but I cook veggies with turmeric, black pepper, and grapeseed oil. Coffee is a must on work days. Sometimes I get a small boost from dark chocolate too.

Winter is pretty mild here this year so I still go for a jog about every 3rd day. The rest of the year I prefer bicycle. I live in the country surrounded by forest, and everyday my wife and I go for walks in the woods with the dog.

Regarding coffee, one of the things I've done last spring and fall -and probably wouldn't have taken the time if there hadn't been the pandemic- is make my own dandelion root coffee. Local, organic, free, caffeine-free, packed with good nutrients, and tastes OK actually! It's a lot of work though. I've taken pictures, if ever there's interest I could make a blog post about it.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I brew my own coffee anymore and only drink it once a day. I can't drink strong coffee anymore so no more coffee from DD and restaurants. With the weak brew I can skip coffee without the withdrawal headaches.

Once the winter weather subsides I'm getting back into a walking routine. I love to walk and it keeps me fit, I have strong legs. I spent three weeks moving my house back in August/September. I burned off 15 lbs and look great, but I had to go easy for a couple of months as all that work had strained the tendons in my arms. The good news is I kept that weight off.

I refuse to work from my home so I've been going into the office every day. No traffic. Fresh air outside. Hardly anybody else is in the building.

Coffee is my opiate. I walk a lot which is my primary form of exercise. I have gym equipment in my basement but hardly ever use it. :laugh:

I'm not health conscience by any stretch of the imagination. I just keep myself busy. I've always felt that I'll get my best sleep when I'm dead. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I hated going to the gym, but at least it kind of forced me into a steady routine, which I needed after a heart attack (where my only real "risk factor" was a sedentary lifestyle). It's harder now without going to the gym. Heck, I no longer even have the exercise that came with doing gigs! I got a treadmill and exercise bike, but it takes discipline to force yourself to do things you dislike. I think going to the gym works because you ease yourself into it... the first part, getting into the car and driving there, isn't unpleasant and is, in its own way, putting off the exercise itself! Then once you arrive at the gym, you're committed.

I started taking the dogs to local hiking trails more often, but that's less appealing in bad weather. (I don't normally "have" to walk them because they go out by themselves into a fenced in yard.) I wish I were one of those people who actually feel better after exercising... the "runner's high" or as KuruPrionz said, "Gets the endorphins flowing and improves the mood immensely" -- not me. From what I've read, that's a genetic thing... it affects you that way, or it doesn't.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have always had some type of cardio machine in my house over the past 20 years. Usage was in sporadic bursts followed by periods of inactivity. Three things helped set my attitude over the past 5 years: 1) an Apple Watch, 2) reading the book, "Younger Next Year", and 3) getting a Bowflex Max Trainer for cardio. I do a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise 350+ days a year whether it's walking, interval training, using the home gym, or dumbbells.

The watch gives me daily, quantifiable goals, so I usually exercise first thing in the morning so I'm not looking empty circles all day. The main takeaway for me from the book was the necessity of daily cardio and regular strength training. The Max Trainer is an enjoyable, low-impact, compact machine that's easy-on-the-knees and can give you everything from a steady-state walk to an HIIT workout. I also have the Bowflex Extreme home gym (which I got for a crazy discount when I ordered the Max Trainer) and the Select Tech dumbbells. All the equipment fits in a 14'x7' area of my basement. The convenience and quality of the workout means that I can do it every day with virtually no excuses to not do it.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I've been a runner on and off throughout my life, picked the habit back up early in the pandemic, then lost it again after we moved into the new house. I did start going on early morning walks right after the new year (with my coffee in a thermos instead of taking my hour on the couch with a warm mug and the Times), and it's been a godsend -- I was unraveling a little bit with all the isolation that the holidays, cold weather, and increased virus activity brought on. Plus, it's giving me time to just listen to music in a way that I've been having trouble doing, say, sitting in the living room. The constant, meditative motion helps me listen more attentively.

I made it all through college without drinking coffee. Didn't want a habit/substance that I relied on at all back then. Then I graduated and got one of those soul-sucking 9-5 jobs they always tell you about. That's when I got hooked. Now I look forward to going into the office in the morning (er, I did, anyway) but I enjoy my snobby locally-roasted coffee far too much to give up the daily habit.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Pickleball. Seriously. It's fun, you can play indoors or outdoors, and it's a great sweaty workout that won't stress your joints. Even a complete klutz like me can have a blast. Because it's social and entertaining, I now look forward to playing several times a week.

Since retiring in Feb, I've dropped another 10 lbs, blood pressure is perfect, diet is clean, agility and memory have improved, etc. I used to power walk, bike and go to the gym. Now it's as much pickleball as my body can comfortably endure.

Oh yes, and coffee. Lots of coffee.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The biggest thing that I miss since the lockdown is going to the gym. I'm old and have my assortment of health issues, but going to the gym five days a week kept me upright and breathing. Without a gym only thing left is to start taking long walk around my apartment complex, but walking on asphalt and concrete caused knee problems so I could barely walk for awhile. I was really sedentary just walking around the apartment and that was not good mentally or physically. I tried to buy a exercise bike but seems they have become hard to get. Most the ones available are top of the line $$$ and even those are a month or more wait. At this point knee has healed enough that I'm back taking long walk with a cane just in case. But hoping the holiday increase in covid calms down by spring and can maybe get back to the gym. One of the gyms here moved all their cardio gear outside so less risky.

Coffee and sleep well I grew up drinking coffee since my dad was a coffee salesman. I don't drink it by the barrelful like I used to especially when I worked in computers, but still have a fair amount compared to the average person. Sleep going okay in my younger days 4-6 hours was all needed or got. Since I hit my late 60's I need 7-8 hours sleep. Most nights I sleep good, but some I just can't and just listen to music all night. I've made some playlists for my Alexa that are 8-9 hours long so have music all night awake or not.

Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon. Was riding my bike for about a half hour five days a week but recently it got too cold. When forced inside I use the elliptical machine for a half hour five days a week. I messed up my ankle many years ago playing basketball and didn't get the proper medical attention. As a result, it didn't heal properly and I can't walk or jog for long before it becomes painful and locks up. So no impact exercise for me, which sucks because I ran a lot when I was younger. I walk with my wife on the beach a few times a week but our walks are kind of short. I've been practicing a bit more during the pandemic; I'd say about 10 hours a week. It can get physical at times: I usually tire myself out in about an hour and need to take a break.

At 84 next week I can't get too violent with the exercise! However, I do at least 10 lengths of my gardem (60 yards) and quite often 20 every afternoon at quick march pace, otherwise it is a pretty sedentary lifestyle. Just make sure I get up and walk around the house every half hour. But at least on a large Greek island we are pretty free of Covid. Stay safe everyone.

At 84 next week I can't get too violent with the exercise! However, I do at least 10 lengths of my gardem (60 yards) and quite often 20 every afternoon at quick march pace, otherwise it is a pretty sedentary lifestyle. Just make sure I get up and walk around the house every half hour. But at least on a large Greek island we are pretty free of Covid. Stay safe everyone.

Congratulations to you! At 84 you have bested many. I suspect you stick with good Greek food and keep away from the commercial boxed and canned foods so easily available. Keep up the good work! :)

I've found the key for me is variety. I'm not the type that can just run, or just walk, or just play pickleball, every day, day after day. But I try to do *something* every day. So, for me, one day I'll run. Next day I'll lift weights. Next day I'll walk. Next day I'll do the NordicTrak (yes, I still have one and like using it). Next day I'll ride my bike. Next day I'll do an aerobics routine (there are a million of'em of YouTube). And, yes, once a week I'll play pickleball at the local park district (although that's shut down for me during the pandemic).

Since March 28th, my workload quadrupled. Quickly led to early carpal tunnel, all sorts of lower back, shoulder and joint aches and issues.

Got a standing desk, redid my work station, switched mice and am now sleeping with a carpal tunnel brace at night. It has helped some, but as for each of us, hand / thumb / finger stuff makes me very nervous.

Have just recently gotten back in the habit of walking, trying to keep the step count up weekly. have just switched daily eating habits as well. Hopefully this year will be the year of some long-needed physical improvement.

I can't understand why I've put on 12 pounds since the pandemic started. I walk from my bed to my desk at least once a day, sometimes even more. I even shake my leg when I am sitting for that extra hit of cardio. WTF?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Those of you fortunate enough to still have a job (remote or in the 'office'), if you"re like me - these long days (and nights) on the computer are making me very sedentary. Ah heck, even if you"re out of work, inactivity is no good. I have more energy if I can squeeze a walk/jog in but it"s cold and the days are still short. What have you been doing to keep your health and attitude up?

I'm in New England, and my walking routine pretty much stops in the dead of winter, so I got a treadmill as an alternative.

sunny-health-fitness-treadmills-treadmill-manual-incline-LCD-display-SF-T4400-01_1800x1800.jpg

I can't understand why I've put on 12 pounds since the pandemic started. I walk from my bed to my desk at least once a day, sometimes even more. I even shake my leg when I am sitting for that extra hit of cardio. WTF?

:roll:

Sarcasm? Truth? Both? :)

Since March 28th, my workload quadrupled. Quickly led to early carpal tunnel, all sorts of lower back, shoulder and joint aches and issues.

Got a standing desk, redid my work station, switched mice and am now sleeping with a carpal tunnel brace at night. It has helped some, but as for each of us, hand / thumb / finger stuff makes me very nervous.

Have just recently gotten back in the habit of walking, trying to keep the step count up weekly. have just switched daily eating habits as well. Hopefully this year will be the year of some long-needed physical improvement.

I understand this entirely - the switch to remote and maintaining, recreating, reimagining what we used to do face to face in digital format like magic is a pile of stress. Smart moves to take posture and repetitive motion injury seriously. But don"t underestimate stress. Have to be good to yourself, eat well, reduce stress and sleep well. All part of getting that wrist swelling and screwed up shoulders to heal up. Massage, physical therapy worth considering as well. Feel better, Tim.

I drink tea or coffee (no sugar) with most meals, sometimes iced or decaf depending on the weather and time of day. I'm not a beer drinker and usually go for Coke Zero (no sugar) or occasionally a glass of wine or scotch & Coke, otherwise just water. I love chocolate and pastry but avoid them (with difficulty!) except as occasional treats, and I aim to include some fruit and vegetables with most meals. I stick to a fairly regular routine and get plenty of sleep.

I've worked from home for 20 years and have a fairly sedentary lifestyle (I'm 62), but I'd been going to a gym two or three times a week, and when the COVID-19 pandemic struck, I bought a secondhand treadmill, a few pairs of dumbbells (up to 15 kg/30 lb), and a small bench for a few hundred dollars, and I work out at home now instead. I warm up with 10 minutes of walking/jogging, go through a couple of sets of basic weight exercises (with a couple of minutes' rest between sets), then cool down with couple of minutes of stretches.

It's a fairly moderate routine but helps me to maintain some flexibility, fitness, and pep.

I drink way too much coffee and also at times, more bourbon than I need to get by. Out of those 2 substances the caffeine is what I have to have every day. I don't sleep swell without exercise so I try to get at least some activity everyday. With rare foresight I bought a used treadmill and weight stack machine before C19 hit, and moved both into my grungy garage along with some free weights. Don't get out there alot, couple times a week goes a long way. The treadmill is just for backup on rainy days because I prefer jogging outside. Not that I do enough with either method.

Last September I did an overnight hike in the Smokies (as a backpacking rookie). A 12 mile loop in 2 days wouldn't be hard for a lot of people but with the inclines and my age (59), it was all I could handle. I had chosen a more secluded area of the park and took more pride in overcoming my fear of being in the woods alone, in bear country (didn't see any) than the physical part.

:roll:

Sarcasm? Truth? Both? :)

Nah, I was just kidding.

It's easily 15 pounds, and I rarely shake my leg.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com