Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential registering OB-X trademark

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff... but Gov, how do you find these things? I'm curious. Do people actually scan the USPTO regularly for synth names?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Do people actually scan the USPTO regularly for synth names?

More commonly, they search for new registrations by companies they're following closely. It's why many of the largest companies register trademarks under other entities and only transfer the mark when they plan to start actively using it. I fully expect this will be a faithful but updated OB-X revision like the recent Prophet 5 rev 4, which would find a sizable and receptive audience but holds limited interest for me personally.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Reads like Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim are going to beat the B man in producing a brand new OB-X. :laugh:

i wouldn't be totally surprised to see a new OB-X from DSI/Sequenital especially on the heels of the new Prophet 5/10.

Lady Gaia articulated the above before I hit send. Similarly, I've reached that point in life where these newer synths are of no real interest to me. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dave Smith cannot re-produce an OBX as cheaply as "B". Dave doesn't have his own mfg facilities as does "B". It should be an interesting battle.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't think it has to be a "battle". Sequential will have customers who want something built well, by a company with a good reputation, and "DNA" from the person who designed it (i.e. Tom Oberheim), while Behringer will have customers who want something cheap. I have no idea how many of each model Sequential produces, but I would bet that after all this time, Dave Smith has a very good idea of what the market is and how many he will sell. So, he'll probably be able to sell whatever he produces and not have to worry about the people who want the same sound but don't want to pay the higher price.

Interesting if DSI pursues this route. Although years ago, I've played an OB-X. These things are freaking huge! I can't imagine a faithful reissue size-wise.

I'm assuming if they are doing this, sales of the reissued Prophet 5/10 are going quite well. Here comes Round 2...

Unlike the Behringer UB-Xa, an OB-X reissue would have discreet VCOs and VCFs - a big selling point with collectors and connoisseurs. And wow are these things rare - 600-800 made. Tom Oberheim reissued his SEM a few years ago - maybe some of that can be ported over? Supposedly the VCOs and VCFs are similar - although missing the state-variable feature of the filter. But I'm no engineer - feel free to correct me.

Interesting if DSI pursues this route. Although years ago, I've played an OB-X. These things are freaking huge! I can't imagine a faithful reissue size-wise.

OB-X isn't big on the deep features but is arguably the creamiest most organic sounding synth Oberheim every built. Their biggest downside is a big restoration project as they don't age well, so a brand new OB-X would have a lot of appeal.

Unlike the Behringer UB-Xa, an OB-X reissue would have discreet VCOs and VCFs - a big selling point with collectors and connoisseurs. And wow are these things rare - 600-800 made. Tom Oberheim reissued his SEM a few years ago - maybe some of that can be ported over? Supposedly the VCOs and VCFs are similar - although missing the state-variable feature of the filter. But I'm no engineer - feel free to correct me.

My OB-X webpage has a LOT of info

CLONK

If they use the vintage knob concept you could have the different iterations. BTW vintage knob update on the P6 sounds so much better than the original Slop which was just a simple detune. Even with my cloth ears I can tell when it's not switched on!

My OB-X webpage has a LOT of info

CLONK

Yep I also enjoyed a re-read of your website too. Your story of on the Oby rebuild is fantastic

Man so many interesting stories on your gear that i still have presently or have let go. Particularly the Arp 16 voice piano (I had the seemingly now maligned 4 voice and can say I have loved it at the time), I've still got a Oberheim XK1 controller that my friend is getting off me for his Ob module. And I loved the story of your Kurzweil K1000 gear as I still have my K1000SE keyboard and the rare in Australia guitar module. So I found a lot of interesting stuff to re-read.

Everyone should check it out. He knows his stuff.

I'm guessing Dave Smith will do a combination OB-X/OB-Xa of some sort. At least in the filter section.

When they get the raw tone of the OBX and add more modulation sources/ destinations,- like the OB-8 with it´s expanded modulation path and "Page-2" features, combined w/ velocity sensitive keyboard and MIDI, that would be welcome.

In fact, I´d prefer all the features of the Xpander/ Matrix-12,- w/ the fat tone of OBX and SEM filter included as well.

Nothing less than the best Oberheim synth ever seen.

Dunno if this can be realized at all in a more compact and affordable manner.

A.C.

Presumably the reissued Prophet 5 and Prophet 10 are indeed doing quite well, based on Sequential's announcement of the module versions earlier this week.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In fact, I´d prefer all the features of the Xpander/ Matrix-12,- w/ the fat tone of OBX and SEM filter included as well.

A.C.

I forwarded your request to Dave. He quickly canceled the OBX re-issue and is working on this instead:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/oberheim_obmx.jpg

:popcorn:

A.C.

I forwarded your request to Dave. He quickly canceled the OBX re-issue and is working on this instead:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/oberheim_obmx.jpg

:popcorn:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Moe

---

Just when I was tempted to buy a Matriarch as my 'forever' synthesiser, Sequential teases with a new OB-X.

(puts wallet away for the time being)

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Just when I was tempted to buy a Matriarch as my 'forever' synthesiser, Sequential teases with a new OB-X.

(puts wallet away for the time being)

A trademark application to USPTO costs money. I don't offhand exactly how much money, but USPTO is a self-funding agency that keeps itself afloat almost entirely from application fees. So an application with USPTO isn't something you file just to be a tease.

It's kinda Mark's fault that I have a Matriarch. Keep in mind the Matriarch is not a true polysynth. It's a monosynth with paraphonic switch. It might not behave in the way you might expect when you play chordal stuff on it. Kinda hard to explain and understand though until you try playing one in person, beyond the obvious like not being able to toss in a lot of extensions with your favorite chords.

Between P6 and OB6 getting MPE and Vintage knob support, the P5/P10 desktops, and the possibility of a OB-X, it's going to be fun contemplating which true polyphonic analog flavor to add to my synth rig.