Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM "I Believe in Music" Opens to the Public on January 11

You can register here, and it's free!!

The only requirement is that you have to attend my session,Amp Sim Secrets: Tips and Techniques for Terrific Tone, which is scheduled to air 1/21/2021 at 1:45 pm PT.

Nah, you actually don't have to...but I hope some of you can attend. There's a chat feature so you can make fun of what I'm saying - in real time!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have a virtual beer together?

I hardly have any free time at the real NAMM show, or AES show either, but this year I think I spent about an hour and a half with AES. The "trade show" part was pretty useless - nothing new that hadn't already been announced and that I already had my look-see at.

There's some implication that the NAMM show "marketplace" will have some interactive product demos. Maybe that'll work.

It's all still coming together. I'm editing four videos for sessions that are about cool MIDI stuff. I gotta say some of the MIDI Association members stepped up with some great videos. All I really need to do is an introductory voiceover, include my sonic logo for the tops and tails, and make sure the audio levels are matched.

As to the interactive part of the show, I'm not really up to speed on that. This is a huge undertaking for an organization that hasn't done this kind of thing before. If nothing else, they have brass cojones to go along with some smart people.

• 2 weeks later...

Today was pre-opening day for CES, with a lot of press conferences, and a few keynote addresses. The real show starts tomorrow. I thought I'd try to get organized and build my "shopping list" of exhibitors to see. It was a very short list because I didn't recognize most of the names - OK, I know the biggies, but those aren't the booths I stop at when browsing at CES. At the real show, I just wander. They didn't do the best job of presenting the list of exhibitors on line. You could click on one and add it to your "to see" list, but if you didn't know what that company with an interesting name did, there wasn't a clickable link to find out. I have a feeling this show is going to support my anxieties about virtual trade shows. Today was also the first day of press conferences, and, dammit, I want to know what's new, and what I want to come to their booth to see in more detail. I don't want to watch a $&*@# music video with a narrator in a suit.

NAMM did better. The show doesn't start until January 18, but they opened up the planning parts to media registrants (I'm one) starting today. The setup was similar to what CES had, with the big difference being that, for the audio exhibitors and most electronic music companies, including electric guitars, amps, and speakers, I knew nearly all the names and started clicking them off, wondering "when will this stop?" Whew!

I usually go to the NAMM show with maybe a dozen exhibitors that I want to be sure to see, but, while there's always something I've missed, I usually see just about every exhibitor in my area of interest, and that's a lot. I wish they'd apply their artificial intelligence to building me a walking tour from my "want to see" list. That would make sense, but only for those exhibitors who were were just "there" and didn't have scheduled presentations (some of which I might want to catch) at specific times. Hey! If your're listening! Plan my tour for me, but let me include not just the company names, but special events and their times so I won't be three exhibit halls away when the time comes.

Oh? I'll never be more than a few steps from my computer during this show? OK, then.

While they don't have event schedules for every booth listed (and I suspect they won't - that'll be between you and the exhibitor) they do have the full schedule of panels, workshops, and lectures posted now. There are some good ones, I think.

There's still time to register, and check out the schedule.

Register Here

Schedule of Events

Exhibitors

As much as I would love to be able to be a part of this. Sadly i can not, as i do not have a job title, which is required.

Well then, make one up. Everyone's invited to this one. You could even be "musician" or "songwriter" or "recording engineer." Sometimes I put "Janitor" for my job. I've never been questioned or turned down.

As much as I would love to be able to be a part of this. Sadly i can not, as i do not have a job title, which is required.

No problem! Here's your title:

Contributing Editor

Musicplayer.com

Done!

Well then, make one up. Everyone's invited to this one. You could even be "musician" or "songwriter" or "recording engineer." Sometimes I put "Janitor" for my job. I've never been questioned or turned down.

Thank You Mike!

Editor? Sounds mighty important, but then we're all important here. I should try "MPN Advisory Board" next time if I think it'll get me better swag or a product for review.

I hereby dub thee Senior Technology Editor, Musicplayer.com. If that doesn't get you swag, nothing will.

For any shows in Mexico, you can be Señor Technology Editor. :)