Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg buy Aguilar Amplifier company

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I brought this up in the Gibson-buys-Mesa thread.

I'm not concerned though, as Korg have been good stewards of Vox and Blackstar (who they took on after very publicly throwing Marshall out of the family for poor QC).

I used an Aguilar DB112 cabinet for many years, as well as one of their integrated amps for a while, before moving on to Mesa amps (how ironic).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So seems the boutique guitar/bass amp world is getting bought up. First Gibson buys Mesa Boogie and now Korg buy Aguilar Bass amps. Aguilar is great gear, maybe they will come out with a compact stereo amp for keyboards. I didn't know that Korg own Vox and Blackstar amps also.

Link to article below:

Korg Buys Aguilar

to be more clear, Korg USA bought the co.

Korg USA is the disti for Korg instruments in the US

Korg USA also owns other amp co's, etc etc. They also distribute a variety of well known brands.

But Korg Inc in Tokyo is the HQ for all Korg instruments and has various

disti's all over the world. They, Korg Inc, calls the shots on new Korg products.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Yep, I brought this up in the Gibson-buys-Mesa thread.

I'm not concerned though, as Korg have been good stewards of Vox and Blackstar (who they took on after very publicly throwing Marshall out of the family for poor QC).

I used an Aguilar DB112 cabinet for many years, as well as one of their integrated amps for a while, before moving on to Mesa amps (how ironic).

Not sure where you got your info from, but Korg USA did not throw Marshall out for poor QC. Marshall chose to set up their own operation in the US, and then arranged distribution logistics through a partner. I know this, as I was there.

Jerry

I actually got the info from Korg's own website at the time; I would have had no way of knowing otherwise. But I didn't take a snapshot of it. I did report it here at the time, as I recall, but I can't take the time to hunt the Internet Archives for old versions of websites as I just got laid off this morning.

At any rate, business relationships of all sorts have a tendency to have many sides to the story as well as later revisionism. I certainly did not intend to harm a reputation in anyway. I don't think it was the Korg USA website though; maybe Korg UK. But now that I think about it, I most likely saw the initial link and discussion over on GS, which I have never joined so that I am not tempted to participate (too many rabbit holes).

It's possible that there was an early press release or website statement whose purpose was to reassure people that Blackstar was an "even better brand" and that the Korg family was not diminished in any way, and they might have brought focus to their great QA etc. Those things can be open to interpretation and someone on GS might have read between the lines.

Anyway, the person who was there usually knows the story the best, so I defer to Jerry on this matter.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

All good, I just don't like to see statements that are questionable not answered, as they are later pointed to, and re-quoted as fact.

But more importantly, sorry to hear about your lay-off. Never an easy thing - I hope you bounce back even better.

Regards,

Jerry

I actually got the info from Korg's own website at the time; I would have had no way of knowing otherwise. But I didn't take a snapshot of it. I did report it here at the time, as I recall, but I can't take the time to hunt the Internet Archives for old versions of websites as I just got laid off this morning.

At any rate, business relationships of all sorts have a tendency to have many sides to the story as well as later revisionism. I certainly did not intend to harm a reputation in anyway. I don't think it was the Korg USA website though; maybe Korg UK. But now that I think about it, I most likely saw the initial link and discussion over on GS, which I have never joined so that I am not tempted to participate (too many rabbit holes).

It's possible that there was an early press release or website statement whose purpose was to reassure people that Blackstar was an "even better brand" and that the Korg family was not diminished in any way, and they might have brought focus to their great QA etc. Those things can be open to interpretation and someone on GS might have read between the lines.

Anyway, the person who was there usually knows the story the best, so I defer to Jerry on this matter.