Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer and Sweetwater partnership

I stumbled on this while idly clicking on stuff tonight:

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/music-tribe-sweetwater/?amp

Uli being Uli, it can't be a mere partnership. It's a SUPER partnership! :laugh:

Prepare yourselves for a heck of a lot of Behringer gear on Sweetwater, and it *might* be a little cheaper.

They're also bailing on brick and mortar. Although not mentioned, that may have been accelerated by Covid.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh:

'We are now focusing on a select choice of the most influential e-commerce partners who have the largest customer reach and depth of services,' he wrote. 'Only large e-commerce partners are capable of delivering this service.'

'As a consequence, this unfortunately disqualifies all small brick-and-mortar stores and traditional distributors, as serving them adds little value and increases cost,' Behringer added.

As another consequence, it means it's going to become impossible to check out a Behringer product prior to purchasing it.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Ugh:
'We are now focusing on a select choice of the most influential e-commerce partners who have the largest customer reach and depth of services,' he wrote. 'Only large e-commerce partners are capable of delivering this service.'

'As a consequence, this unfortunately disqualifies all small brick-and-mortar stores and traditional distributors, as serving them adds little value and increases cost,' Behringer added.

As another consequence, it means it's going to become impossible to check out a Behringer product prior to purchasing it.

Yep. Which means I'm not buying anything they make.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You could fly to Ft Wayne.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Guitar Center is not a small brick and mortar store. Folks will try out Behringer gear at GC like they do with other manufacturer products and order it from Sweetwater especially if it's cheaper. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Am I wrong or does this look like selective retailer distribution at the exclusion of the small music store?

I for one would rather buy from a small local store than a big outfit.

Support the Behringer / Sweetwater partnership or not, the choice is yours.

Col

One unintended consequence that I'm sure Sweetwater has had to consider is that their return ratio is likely to increase, since noone except locals will be able to check out their gear before purchasing. Good for us, since they'll likely always have open box / b stock items available, but if SW ends up losing their butt because of it, then the relationship may not last.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Guitar Center is not a small brick and mortar store. Folks will try out Behringer gear at GC like they do with other manufacturer products and order it from Sweetwater especially if it's cheaper. :cool:

GC is price competitive with SW. SW used to have an advantage because of sales tax, but that's gone. And if you have a GC within driving distance, returns don't cost the arm and a leg that UPS charges for keyboard-sized stuff these days.

Back on topic, though, from the article, it seems like you may not find Behringer at GC anyway. It sounds like Sweetwater and Amazon may be the only U.S. sources. Maybe it was about assuring Sweetwater maximum market share as part of the deal, maybe it's because GC's future is more uncertain with their being in chapter 11...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've never found Sweetwater to be "cheaper" than what I can get what I am looking for somewhere else. Sweetwater Posts MAP on their website, and if you call them, that's the price. Sweetwater is a "Value add' full service dealer." They give you an extended warranty, and they service what they sell. :Looking for a lower price? You will have to go elsewhere. However, if you've been working with a Sales Engineer at Sweetwater, AND have been a customer that bought from them previously, you most certainly can ask for a lower price. Their sales people work straight commission, so its up to them what they want to sell their products for, MAP or not.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah.... I call my dedicated Sales Engineer and we discuss various products. He will then call me back with an offer that's a little below MAP.

As far as Behringer at GC.... None of the local GC near me have had a Behringer keyboard on the floor or in stock in at least a year. They do have a couple Model D table top, but that's it.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

... it seems like you may not find Behringer at GC anyway. It sounds like Sweetwater and Amazon may be the only U.S. sources.

And Alibaba. Mustn't forget Alibaba!

This will not affect my personal decision to not patronize Behringer. My reasons go well beyond the fact that their $19 pedals have an obscenely high failure rate and some of their other products are similarly badly made -- if that were the only thing, I'd definitely take note because now all of Behringer's crap will be covered by Sweetwater and the turnaround MAY be quicker.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

... it seems like you may not find Behringer at GC anyway. It sounds like Sweetwater and Amazon may be the only U.S. sources.

And Alibaba. Mustn't forget Alibaba!

Not a U.S. retail source, though. Also, Thomann, for that matter.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

An efficient distribution chain means lower prices for all. We all might have a fondness for Ye Local Musick Shoppe, but it's a very inefficient way to move product to market.

I go to my local music shop for accessories and adapters mostly. I browse Sweetwater and others to see what's out there, rarely buying anything. And, when it's time to actually buy something substantial, I start dialing for dollars: b-stock, open box, returns, used, etc.

So far, so good.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I've never found Sweetwater to be "cheaper" than what I can get what I am looking for somewhere else.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of GC carrying Behringer products and having them available on the floor while Sweetwater may have the better price due to this partnership. Maybe GC will stop selling Behringer gear and become unavailable as a test drive facility. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

And Gibson just bought Aguilar.

And Mesa/Boogie. Two good amps now going to pot.

I actually wouldn't assume that would necessarily be the case with the new folks that are now running Gibson. With the Henry regime, for sure. But based on my conversations with some of the employees there, I think they're really trying to do things right.

I actually wouldn't assume that would necessarily be the case with the new folks that are now running Gibson. With the Henry regime, for sure. But based on my conversations with some of the employees there, I think they're really trying to do things right.

My best guitar nerd friend feels the same way. Says the quality of the new guitars is some of the best they've ever been, and he also said Randall Smith was staying on as lead designer. There's reason to hope.

been dealing with sweetwater for years. to me, the best. a few times in the past I wasted my time and priced an item from other stores. not once did anyone beat or match the price I received from sweetwater. I do buy quite a bit from them and now if I don't like the price they gave me I just tell them come on you got to do better. I also like their technical support and the extra year warranty. I'm not a fan of the return policy if you don't like the item, they will take it back. there is enough information and demos of the items on the web for anyone to view and review. I do a lot of homework before I buy an item.

I'm a snob about Behringer. I'm also a snob about Casio.

You can write an entire dissertation that I'm wrong, but the offering still feels like cheap quality and second rate to me. You can tell me that their old products might have been cheap knockoff junk, but now they have evolved. Either way, I'm not buying it.

You can throw eggs at me if you want, but I don't buy Behringer products because I don't have to anymore. I am at a place in life where I can just skip over the Behringer products and not miss a beat.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I'm a snob about Behringer. I'm also a snob about Casio.

I also am a snob about Casio: The CZ1 and VZ1's were affordable and expressive. And I didn't buy my PS-5X out of poverty or desperation -- I bought it because it was/is a darned good piano, and I have kept it because it's also a darned good (and easy to program) ROMpler.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• 3 weeks later...

I was not aware of the management change. That does give me hope.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The Odyssey has been selling like crazy, especially with the latest price drop. I bought one a little less than a year ago, played it for 6 months, and then sold it for what I paid for it. Buyer was a happy camper, and so was I.
:nopity:

The Odyssey has been selling like crazy, especially with the latest price drop. I bought one a little less than a year ago, played it for 6 months, and then sold it for what I paid for it. Buyer was a happy camper, and so was I.

Well that is a way to get it out of your system without loosing any money. That's what I would like to do.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Am I wrong or does this look like selective retailer distribution at the exclusion of the small music store?

I for one would rather buy from a small local store than a big outfit.

Support the Behringer / Sweetwater partnership or not, the choice is yours.

This is a sentiment I hear from time to time. There's one problem. Local stores don't carry anything I want. Once you get past entry level gear, there's literally nothing in the store. Even drum heads - it is almost guaranteed they won't have what I need, but Amazon will get any esoteric Evans head here in a couple days. And once you get into professional audio gear, its Sweetwater, Vintage King, Sound Pure, and a few others or dealing direct with smaller manufacturers. Of course, in LA, one can go to Vintage King. Here in the Bay Area, we have Gryphon Strings which is one of the best guitar shops in the country. But drive into San Francisco to go to a Guitar Center? Nope. When I wanted to buy a bunch of assorted hand percussion, I went to the GC in San Jose after work. What a wasteland. Even willing to spend a bit of $$, I got a few things and left. They did have all the current top synths, but I don't need to play them anymore - the extensive online reviews tell me what I need to know. I don't like any keybeds except the top of the line models, so there's nothing to try. I already know that if I wanted a MODX, I would never want to play its keys, but control it from something else. When I wanted a weighted action for the studio, I bought a Nord Grand and a Yamaha P515. I like the Nord, and sold the P515 after toying with keeping one or the other for live rig. I had both for long enough to truly use them and develop a preference. I lost a little $$ on the P515, but I'm going to have this keyboard for years and years. Once you get into pro-level gear, I just don't think most local markets can find enough business to keep the stuff in stock. SanFran does have a modular synth shop with most of the latest if one is into that.... They do events and such. But I don't really know what support my local music store means when they are oriented around starter instruments for kids and after school lessons.