Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Teaser ???

M_G

I'd bet mono synth was a conscious choice, and it has far more performance controls than a Nord Stage synth.

Hmmm... I'm not seeing that. True, its two envelopes have 4 full controls vs. 3-ish. But Nord seems to have more filter controls, more oscillator controls, more LFO controls. And, of course, it has both mono and poly modes.

I'm looking at 13 knobs on the Nord versus 10 sliders and 5 knobs on the Hammond. But you can slice it as you wish. I'll take back 'far more' (memory failure probably due to the fact that I'm simply not interested in the Nord) and call it a draw. But then of course as you highlight the Nord will do poly.

The SK (assuming it works like the SK1/2/X) will do internal and external layers and splits with key ranges and transposition as you wish. The Nord works quite differently.

I'm not sure on what grounds you're expecting the Nord's pianos to be better as we have no idea about the Hammond piano and other sounds until Jim can post his videos.

While the comparison is interesting and an obvious one to make on paper, I have no interest in the Nords because no matter how much I like their pianos (the 'Black' Petrof is just fabulous), the keys on the Compact are too tightly sprung, the limitations on split points won't work for me, and their basic tonewheel sound doesn't do it for me either, so it's just not in my headlights. YMMV.

It's the total lack of fx controls on the SKpro panel that has me worried, but of course I have no idea what the screen offers.

Hopefully now the brochure is out of the bag, H-S will just get on and announce it and we can stop speculating.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

So it"s sounding good on the mono synth and organ front (assuming that we are hearing the sound of the internal Leslie sim in these teaser videos rather than the 'through a Leslie' thing the early XK5 videos all seemed to do).

If the piano and other voices are equally impressive, my SK2 and Electro 6 might be looking for new homes.

Anybody taking a guess on price?

My guess is somewhere between £2,000 and £2,500 for the 61 key. Like with Apple, I think there"s going to be a premium for the 'Pro' tag.

Cheers

John

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

I'm looking at 13 knobs on the Nord versus 10 sliders and 5 knobs on the Hammond. But you can slice it as you wish. I'll take back 'far more' (memory failure probably due to the fact that I'm simply not interested in the Nord) and call it a draw. But then of course as you highlight the Nord will do poly.

Even limiting the comparison just to the front panel controls, I think there are big things you miss by comparing knobs and sliders count, like how many things a knob can do, and the additional options available via buttons. So sure, they both have waveform select knobs, but how many waveforms can you choose from? Or, they both have LFO Rate knobs, but Nord has a button to select from 5 different LFO waveforms (we'll have to see if maybe there's some on-screen function to alter the SK's LFO waveshape). They both have filter cutoff knobs, but Nord has a button that lets you select from 6 different kinds of filters (ditto). Also, some Nord knobs have multiple functions... sometimes depending on whether you turn them left or right from center, sometimes depending on the context of some other setting. Then beyond the control surface but still related to performance functions, there are things like the Nord having its morph and aftertouch. But we have more to learn about the SK. One thing I'm wondering is whether it is single or double oscillator.

The SK (assuming it works like the SK1/2/X) will do internal and external layers and splits with key ranges and transposition as you wish.

When I said the Hammond had "probably less split/layer flexibility" than the Nord, I was talking about just internal sounds (I separately listed the external zoning as a Hammond advantage). What I was thinking of was that Nord lets you split/layer four non-organ internal sounds total... two sounds that are both in the piano category two sounds in the synth/sample category. Hammond appears to let you split/layer three non-organ sounds total... one sound in the piano category, one sound in the ensemble category, and one mono synth. So relatively speaking, you lose the ability to split/layer two sounds from the piano category, and more importantly, you lose the ability to split/layer any other two sounds as well unless one of them is a mono synth sound (and in my experience, a relatively small percentage of song setups require a mono synth sound). You're just a lot more limited in creating a 2-sound split/layer where one sound is not either a piano or organ. As for the organ split/layer, both support dual manual split (and Hammond even adds bass pedal), but I think it may be that only Nord lets you split/layer any organ sound combination (a tonewheel and transistor organ sound, for example), though I wouldn't count that as a frequent real-world need. Either way, my bottom line here is that Hammond appears to to split/layer fewer total internal sounds simultaneously, with more restrictions on the combinations available. Also Nord lets you split those sounds via multiple split points, whereas Hammond appears to support only a single split point, though yes, as you point out, you do have more flexibility about where that split point can be.

I'm not sure on what grounds you're expecting the Nord's pianos to be better as we have no idea about the Hammond piano and other sounds until Jim can post his videos.

It's an expectation, not a certainty, but based largely on the grounds of where they are coming from, comparing a board whose piano sounds have been among the weakest to one whose piano sounds have been among the best. If Hyundai advertises that their new car has their most powerful engine and fastest acceleration ever, I would say it may be great but it's still not likely to be as powerful/fast as a Corvette. Nord will also have an edge as a piano by virtue of having so many quite different strong piano sounds, I'd be surprised if Hammond had more than one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As someone who was (and maybe is still) going after the Stage Compact, I agree that one thing I don't like about that keyboard is the tight action. If it's similar to my Electro 6, I got used to it but piano-playing was never easy on it.

But a mono synth is an show-stopper, since I'd be getting the Stage to be able to do certain gigs with one keyboard, and for some songs I need a poly synth. Very unfortunate but I won't be considering this unless--I haven't checked--it had any easy way to bring an ipad in like the Modx does with one cable. I have a couple really nice synths on the ipad. I hope there comes a day when all keyboards have a built-in audio/midi interface...but even with this feature, if I'm paying big bucks for a do-everything keyboard, it has to, well, do everything. Poly synth is not some obscure need, it's central to a ton of songs. For those always bringing multiple keyboards no biggie I guess.

I have the Stage 2 EX with the HP action and even though most folks pan it I really like it. I get weighted action and the keyboard is still quite light weight to carry. I also really like 76 keys. I recommend that you try that before you decide. Not as good for organ but depending on the type of music you're playing it might be worth considering.

I'm liking this board. I don't need it, but I'm liking it.

The concept of a knobby monosynth is great, but the omissions of an effects knob or two is unfortunate. I'd want to put some delay on the synth for leads and be able tweak it. At least with this you can route it into a dedicated effects box. But then you need to position it nearby, which might require a separate small stand.

Bring on the pianos!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

But a mono synth is an show-stopper, since I'd be getting the Stage to be able to do certain gigs with one keyboard, and for some songs I need a poly synth.

The Ensemble section preumably has some poly synth sounds (as the current SK synth Extra Voices section does), and as Nicain posted earlier, "All Piano/Ensemble voices can be FULLY EDITED. Sample choice, EG, Filter, LFO and other parameters are now in your control and can be saved as a Patch". So while it may not have the front panel flexibility in particular oscillator selections, immediacy of programming, in-performance tweakability, whatever, you may well be able to program in facsimiles of whatever poly synth sounds you need.

I have a couple really nice synths on the ipad.
route it into a dedicated effects box. But then you need to position it nearby, which might require a separate small stand.

Another benefit of the 73 over the 61... free panel space for an effects unit, iPad, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Ensemble section preumably has some poly synth sounds (as the current SK synth Extra Voices section does), and as Nicain posted earlier, "All Piano/Ensemble voices can be FULLY EDITED. Sample choice, EG, Filter, LFO and other parameters are now in your control and can be saved as a Patch".

Yeah, that aspect is promising. As with the piano voices, the make-or-break factor will be how much they've been improved over the SK. I'll never forget the time I was on a cover band gig with nothing but the SK1, and the bandleader called "Jump." When I started playing the lick on that wheezy, reedy, anemic-sounding patch (the closest one the SK had), it was the only time in my life I've ever had every one of my bandmates laugh at me like I was Rudolf the first time his nose glowed. But the quality of the lead sound in the latest video gives me hope that the company is serious about upping its game in terms of quality synth tones, be they modeled or sampled.

There is an Aux In on mini jack like the Electro6 and it has a level control do you can run your iPad plus it has 3 external zones so should be easy. Though like the CP73 the level control is on the back. Agree that poly synths sounds from the editable ensemble section should be good enough.

I think it"s a 2 Oscillator synth as the vid shows 2 saw waves in that patch. I wasn"t that impressed with the sound but early days. I think one of settings is Duo possibly duophonic?

The Ensemble section preumably has some poly synth sounds (as the current SK synth Extra Voices section does), and as Nicain posted earlier, "All Piano/Ensemble voices can be FULLY EDITED. Sample choice, EG, Filter, LFO and other parameters are now in your control and can be saved as a Patch".

Yeah, that aspect is promising. As with the piano voices, the make-or-break factor will be how much they've been improved over the SK. I'll never forget the time I was on a cover band gig with nothing but the SK1, and the bandleader called "Jump." When I started playing the lick on that wheezy, reedy, cheap-sounding patch (the closest one the SK had), it was the only time in my life I've ever had every one of my bandmates laugh at me like I was Rudolf the first time his nose glowed. But the quality of the lead sound in the latest video gives me hope that the company is serious about upping its game in terms of quality synth tones, be they modeled or sampled.

The 'extra' sounds for the SK,

https://hammondorganco.com/support/downloads/voice-libraries/

were definitely a necessity for Hammond to compete in this category of instrument.

'300' timbres in the Ensemble section sounds like a much stronger effort on this front.

However, the mono synth is still confounding - not that a VA taking the place of a Moog D or something on board isn"t a great idea. Just that Roland offers a poly synth on the VR-730 (heck even on the sub $1k VR-09) and Nord includes most of a Lead 2 in their Stage 3 Compact. And it"s software - so why the mono limitation? My only thought on that is the DSP isn"t sufficient to do the engine in poly.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

However, the mono synth is still confounding - not that a VA taking the place of a Moog D or something on board isn"t a great idea. Just that Roland offers a poly synth on the VR-730 (heck even on the sub $1k VR-09) and Nord includes most of a Lead 2 in their Stage 3 Compact.

Actually, I think it's a version of the Lead A1. But as for the Rolands, they have always had great value on their side... Hammonds charges more for their (older!) organ engine alone (in the XK-1C) than Roland charges for a VR09. But also, okay, the SK Pro doesn't have poly VA synth, but there are just so many other ways this board far exceeds the Roland. Better organ sound/action, effects on more than one sound at a time, front panel synth controls (instead of needing an iPad), multi-zone MIDI controller support, assignable outs, 4 sounds at a time instead of 2, internal power supply, big color screen, better patch selection functions... There's always going to be some balance in terms of what features go in or out and still meet a price point. And the price is the other big unknown here. On one hand, it's easy to see that it must command a premium over the SK1, but that does not necessarily provide a baseline. What if they simultaneously lower the price (or discontinue) the SK1? Then this could conceivably end up further below the NS3 than people have been assuming.

Re mono synth - effects processing will use a lot of DSP assuming it"s high quality. Maybe the reverb has a lots of different spaces. But just having 2 multi FX and separate EQ on each section is quite CPU intensive. Does the Nord Stage give you separate FX and EQ or are they shared like on the Electro?

However, the mono synth is still confounding - not that a VA taking the place of a Moog D or something on board isn"t a great idea. Just that Roland offers a poly synth on the VR-730 (heck even on the sub $1k VR-09) and Nord includes most of a Lead 2 in their Stage 3 Compact.

Actually, I think it's a version of the Lead A1.

Looks like Duo mode is 2 oscillators, hopefully with a range of waves.

Are you suggesting it"s the same spec as the Lead A1? I"m not familiar with it.

Onboard effects are handy, but aren"t they nearly always kind of meh, generic, and somewhat limited for immediate adjustability? Behringer put a monster effects engine in the Deepmind, but even that takes a menu dive to access. I suppose dedicating an iPad for quick access to those settings is an option, but personally I"m really striving back to the tactile feel of hardware effects...dedicated knobs that do what they do makes for quick and easy access for adjustments in the heat of the moment.

I"ve just begun my journey back into effects pedals simply because I"m bored with the limited, ho-hum effects on the VR09 and Numa Compact 2X. MODX has a great effects engine, but again takes so long to deep dive for just a slight tweak.

I"m not suggesting mfg"ers stop putting effects on board, rather just acknowledging how satisfying it is to create your own individual sound by choosing your own set of external effects. Actually I find the onboard effects sound even better in partnership with the few pedals that I have so far. Loving my unique sound right now.

Hopefully there will be some better demo videos released....

Sound and playing im those teasers are..... puh... how to say...... terrible....

I guess Jims Vids will be good !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Does the Nord Stage give you separate FX and EQ or are they shared like on the Electro?

Separate per panel, where each of the two panels can include a combination of a piano, organ, and samples/synth sound. Plus some other variables, like the organ rotary/drive is dedicated to organ, regardless of panel(s), and there's global reverb and compression which is common to both panels.

Are you suggesting it"s the same spec as the Lead A1? I"m not familiar with it.

I was saying that the Nord Stage 3 includes a Lead A1-type of synth, rather than a Lead 2.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, should the thread be renamed? (I know the OP probably can't do it anymore, but a mod or admin could.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't know, I somehow missed a few days of updates to this thread, and then felt totally overwhelmed as I vainly tried to cherry-pick for pertinent info last night. Is it safe to ignore the thread and just wait until official product announcements are made? Or is there important info that we may still only find here? I'm in no rush to find out the details of this instrument, but as someone who was considering upgrading to the XK5 later this year, it's definitely now on my radar as a choice, now that we appear to know that it uses the XK5 engine.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Re leslie sim - , from what I"m led to believe , the first video was recorded using the new 142 , hence the ' room ' sound. So there"s the new 142 close by too. Food for thought.

I"m really hoping they release a dual manual version of this , then I"m onboard. I miss the sk2 I sold for its all in one quick setup board.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I am also hoping, that Hammond will produce a dual manual board.

This is a must. It makes no sense to buy a SKX now. The better solution is

to buy a SK Pro and to build a second manual on your own. Or Hammond offers this.

I hope, they do one of this: SK Pro dual or SKL, the lower manual.

This would be a good instrument for all users, who want it lightweight with the sound of the XK5.

Hammond B3, Leslie 122RV, Viscount Legend JDF, Viscount Legend Live, Viscount Legend Solo, Prophet 6, Moog Little Phatty, Moog Minitaur, Kurzweil SP6, Grand Piano, Hohner Accordeon, etc.

I don't know, I somehow missed a few days of updates to this thread, and then felt totally overwhelmed as I vainly tried to cherry-pick for pertinent info last night. Is it safe to ignore the thread and just wait until official product announcements are made? Or is there important info that we may still only find here? I'm in no rush to find out the details of this instrument, but as someone who was considering upgrading to the XK5 later this year, it's definitely now on my radar as a choice, now that we appear to know that it uses the XK5 engine.

There's the last video back up this page and a pdf, the rest is tease or speculation.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

A post from the Facebook Clonewheel Organ Group page:

"From the NAMM Believe in Music page....Information

SK PRO: Hammond Stage Keyboard - 61 key Single Keyboard SK PRO-73: Hammond Stage Keyboard - 73 key Single Keyboard

Category:KeyboardsOrgans

MSRP

SK PRO $2,795.00 SK PRO-73 $3,055 "

I haven't been able to find it on the 'NAMM Believe in Music' pages myself, so it might just be a made up post?..... Anyone else able to confirm those prices - or not ?

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2