Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nektar Expression pedal; anyone tried these?

My oldest Roland EV-5 has died after long and useful service, but I now find myself short 2 Expression pedals, and short on $$$, so . . .

I keep seeing these - Nektar Universal Exp. Pedal - for $20, they even have them at my FLMS, just up the road, so no waiting for shipping. At $20 each, I could get two of them for less than one EV-5 would cost me, but I have to wonder if it's false economy? If they turn out to be junk, I'm out $40, and I'll still need at least one more Expression pedal.

Has anyone used them, seen them in use, any ideas? There are a few other cheap Exp. pedals out there, but this was the cheapest I'd seen. Usually, I'd hold out for another EV-5, rather than some unknown, but times are lean.

Any other suggestions are welcome, of course. Thanks, all.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be watching this thread, an expression pedal is on my list too.

My Katana can use it as a wah or a variety of other things. It just plugs into the 6 button foot switch with a short cable.

I just looked, it even comes with a 6' TRS cable. I understand your apprehension, that is hella cheap!!!

I wonder if any of our friends in Keyboard Corner have tried it? Maybe I'll post something over there.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yep, as stated on the keys forum, I ordered one after checking the whole field, and it arrived early this week, but so did a dozen packages that were SUPPOSED to arrive a MONTH ago! So I'm kind of overwhelmed at the moment with new instruments, accessories, cables, etc., and have prioritized first checking out acoustic hand-made stuff that might potentially (but didn't) suffer damage during shipping.

Please let me know what you'd specifically like feedback on, as this is one of those rare pedals that seems designed for multiple purposes -- even including guitar use? Now that I have more gear here in NC due to buying the Prophet XL keyboard and an Orange amp head and cabinet for guitar, I have more means to check gear out than when I arrived with just clothes and a semi-acoustic hollow body bass guitar and kitchen stuff.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Please let me know what you'd specifically like feedback on, as this is one of those rare pedals that seems designed for multiple purposes -- even including guitar use?

Thanks, Mark, that would be helpful.

Mostly, I'm concerned about build quality? I intend to use them as Expression pedals for various Synths & FX, where they won't get a lot of hard use, and will likely live out their lives in my Music Room. One very good thing, they have them at my FLMS, where I might even get a slightly better price buying 2 or 3. I'm going to call up there this morning, make sure they have them in stock.

Looking at reviews on Sweetwater's site, these things got very high marks all around, except for one reviewer who couldn't get it to work with anything?

@KuruPrionz - At least one reviewer said it worked just fine with a Boss Katana Amp, and another was using it with a Boss GT-1 MFX, so it should work for you?

I'm convinced that there's one, maybe two factories making ALL o the Volume/Expression pedals we see, and just slapping different names on them, so I'm not sure how much difference there is among them? The EV-5 is $70US, pretty much everywhere, so I could buy 3 Nektars, and still have $10 left over, but that's only a good deal if the Nektars last. Like I said in my OP, if I buy 2 or 3 Nektars, but they break down, I'm still out an Expression pedal, and the money I'll have sent on the Nektars, which I really can't afford right now.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Cool; hopefully I'll have a chance to check it out soon, but I just got laid off this morning and don't know yet whether I'll try to find a new job here in NC or send a few boxes back home and pack the car for the drive west.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

. . . but I just got laid off this morning and don't know yet whether I'll try to find a new job here in NC or send a few boxes back home and pack the car for the drive west.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out.

Thanks; I bought the house in Concord CA in SEP/OCT 2019 thinking I had the most secure job on the planet due to my expertise and reputation, and said at the time that the only thing that could throw a monkey wrench into the works is if there was a worldwide pandemic. This is because that was the only thing that could throw my company (and the entire industry of which it is a part) into a spiral so bad that they'd lay off their best people.

This one is different; a tiny startup company that hired me to do a desktop app, but business needs and budgeting considerations forced them to temporarily pull back to focusing exclusively on the mobile platforms. It was a cordial departure and they are very thankful for what I brought to the table. I'll be calling the recruiter shortly as she also works with the bigger players in RTP such as IBM, Cisco, Fidelity, SAS.