Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, the Corona Virus Isn't Going Away. Now What?

In the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area)/Augusta you've got one sort of Blue county and very concentrated Red counties. You see masks on about half the people in the Blue county, but go 10 miles out to the affluent Red county and it's like nothing special is going on.

"Remember that when the rain fall, it don't fall on one man's housetop" - Bob Marley

I'm for personal freedom as much as anyone else, but people have got to realize we are all in this together, and the coronavirus is not partisan. I think at this point, there is no doubt that universal mask wearing helps tamp down the spread. You'd think 10,000 people dead in the past four days would be a pretty air-tight argument that people need to do everything they can.

The irony is that by placing emphasis on their personal freedom, they've made matters worse, which has placed more constraints on their freedom as well as everyone else's.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony is that by placing emphasis on their personal freedom, they've made matters worse, which has placed more constraints on their freedom as well as everyone else's.

"Americans love irony. They can't get enough of it." - Randy Newman

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It seems that wearing a mask is as responsible as not driving drunk.

When your freedom restricts the life, health, and/or liberty of others, you've gone too far IMO.

You don't have the freedom to drive drunk, because it endangers the lives of others.

You don't have the freedom to smoke cigarettes in an enclosed public space because it endangers the health of others.

You don't have the freedom to practice your instrument at a volume of 110db on your neighbor's lot line at 2 AM because it steps on your neighbor's right to a good night's sleep,

You don't have the freedom to discharge firearms in public places because it can endanger the life/health of others.

And you SHOULDN'T have the freedom to go around without a mask because you may be asymptomatic and endangering the life/health of others.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Coronovirus has now become the leading cause of death in US, overtaking heart disease.

That's pretty damn serious.

We're losing over 2100 Americans per day. That's not worldwide, just this country. It's getting close to losing a 9/11's worth of people per day.

I sometimes fear that by the time this is over here, there won't be anyone left. It will be like the scene in Avengers: Endgame where it's Five Years Later and Steve Rogers is leading a counseling group with people dealing with the loss over nearly everything and everyone they loved.

9350040-6664005-After_the_snap_There_is_also_a_shot_of_a_flier_that_reads_Where_-a-4_1549240198742.jpg

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

The Netherlands are locking down until January 15th. There will be more and more nations realizing that the NZ and Australia model has nothing to do with being islands, but citizen behavior and that the sooner they take it seriously the sooner they can get past it.

The U.S. will be last. People will be moaning about the economy, when it's a direct result of not being able to have a mature attitude towards "freedom".

I see people are already starting this bizarro-world idea that since the vaccine won't immediately eliminate the need for masks "see! SEE! The vaccines are FAKE!!!". The fall of the United States empire is going to accelerate drastically; Europe might be the big winners in the end, supplanting the U.S. economy because of bozos and their "freedumbs".

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I'd almost like to address this sociologically & historically, but it could turn into Religion N' Politics far too easily. I'm dismayed at the high number of lemmings. There's very little "How can we avoid this next time" and far too much "When can I get my hair done again?" I'm choking on the ambient sense of science-denying entitlement. This crap is going to drag on much longer than necessary, just because of the great god >I Want<. We the People need a really hot high colonic. Thanos was right. :mad::crazy:

"A redneck nerd in a bowlin' shirt was drinkin' Lone Star Beer, spoutin' religion and politics for all the world to hear." ~ Frank Zappa, "Lonesome Cowboy Burt" :thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

"A redneck nerd in a bowlin' shirt was drinkin' Lone Star Beer, spoutin' religion and politics for all the world to hear." ~ Frank Zappa, "Lonesome Cowboy Burt" :thu:

My introduction to the South was during my touring years, as a long-haired rock and roll guy. We never, ever got hassled in the south, but got hassled plenty in the north. Granted, the Southerners often looked at us like we were from another planet, but the imperative of Southern hospitality meant we were to be welcomed unless we gave a reason not to be. I was sure that after we left, the people talking amongst themselves said "Well they sure are funny lookin' and they play that awful music, but they seemed like nice boys."

Plenty of those with the superficial veneer of "redneck" are wearing masks because regardless of their political or religious persuasion, they regard being respectful of others as something you just do. Unfortunately plenty of them aren't wearing masks, because they're arrogant, self-centered, or deluded (or all three). Par for the course with humanoid bipeds, I guess.

When I went to see to the Dale Chihuli glass exhibit (and the only reason I went was because it was outside), I was SHOCKED at the well-to-do, and very well-dressed folks who could afford the stiff entrance fee, going around without masks and believing social distancing meant 6 inches, not 6 feet.

I don't know which is worse - blowing off the rules because you're willfully ignorant, or blowing off the rules because you think you're more entitled than everyone else. I have little patience for either one.

• 2 weeks later...

When did personal anger supersede the ethics of acting towards the greater good of the society?

Perhaps instead of herd immunity we need some hive mentality.

Bob "Notes" Norton

I read in the newspaper that local hospitals are getting quantities COVID-19 vaccines. Leilani called around, two hospitals were out already, but a third still has some. We have an appointment for next week to get immunized.

I'll be looking for gigs as soon as I'm protected.

If any of you are interested in getting the shots, it might be worth your time to call the hospitals rather than wait for someone to call you.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I got my first of two Moderna Vaccines at 6:30 AM EST today (1/6).

So far the most uncomfortable thing was ripping the band-aid off my arm.

I'm halfway there.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I'm halfway there.

Notes

You don't look that old in your profile pic, are you a frontline worker? How did you get it?

The local VA has been giving shots to staff and convalescent vets, but I can't get my father in. This is a cluster, zero planning from the government. At this rate it will be 10 years before everyone is vaccinated, the virus will mutate beyond the vaccines long before then. Frakking frak.

I g

The local VA has been giving shots to staff and convalescent vets, but I can't get my father in.

This is a cluster, zero planning from the government. At this rate it will be 10 years before everyone is vaccinated, the virus will mutate beyond the vaccines long before then. Frakking frak.

yeah, difficult to be positive with the break down

As we know, '' government ' is a big word.

I know the states have been starved for c-19 funding for several months.

The problem is money. That states need federal funding to plan and help distribute to the various tiers.

The last stimulus package had some c-19 funds for states

- the stim package got all screwed

up between Congress and the WH. So now the funds are trickling to the states, its too

little and too late.

We can't simply load the vaccine on a drone and have Amazon drop it on the roofs of drug stores.

It doesn't work that way, says captain obvious.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm halfway there.

Notes

You don't look that old in your profile pic, are you a frontline worker? How did you get it?

The local VA has been giving shots to staff and convalescent vets, but I can't get my father in. This is a cluster, zero planning from the government. At this rate it will be 10 years before everyone is vaccinated, the virus will mutate beyond the vaccines long before then. Frakking frak.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm 74 and a half. Our governor has given priority to everyone over 65.

People often tell me that I look young for my age.

I guess I feel young for my age. I'm not sure though, I've never been this age before. Anyway I'm 74 1/2 and on zero prescription medications.

I think it is because (1) good genes (2) making a living doing what I would do for free - [that would be playing music] (3) I have a wife who is a musician and also is my very best friend.

That picture is less than 2 years old. I know because the sax is brass colored. Before this one I was playing a silver colored nickel plated sax (it's now my backup horn). I bought the brass Yamaha as a backup horn but decided I like it better than the custom Taiwanese MacSax I had built for me.

Day two: Upper arm is still a tiny bit achy if I raise it above my shoulder. Not enough to be considered pain, just barely enough to let me know something happened there. I felt a little nauseous for about an hour this morning. I don't know if it was because of the vaccine, or because I was mowing the grass on an empty stomach.

By the time I need the second shot, the changing of our administration should be over, so the government should be focused on distributing the vaccine.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Man, this winter surge of the virus is getting quite apparent. I'm hearing about someone I know who's just been diagnosed with it 3-4 times a week now for the last few weeks. Before this surge, the virus seemed way more distant and random. Now it feels more like an insidious invasion creeping closer and closer, which of course it's always been....but you know how we humans are - if it's not in your face it attains only some modicum of reality.

My wife got the shot - she works with kids, screening for vision and hearing at the schools. I'm still waiting for my chance - won't be long now I don't think.

nat

Besides for the dry, cold weather, and the fact the people are just tired of this, way too many ignored the stay at home requirements for Christmas, New Years and other winter solstice holidays.

That's 3 strikes.

And even after you get the shots, it might take two months after the first one to be immune.

It's not time to let down our guard.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Besides for the dry, cold weather, and the fact the people are just tired of this, way too many ignored the stay at home requirements for Christmas, New Years and other winter solstice holidays.

That's 3 strikes.

I heard there might have been a super spreader event in D.C. this week as wellâ¦

That's 3 strikes.

I heard there might have been a super spreader event in D.C. this week as wellâ¦

And as they spread out over the country, unfortunately innocent people will get the plague and some will die because of that.

I am sad for my country. A large portion of our citizens seem to have gone over the deep end. IMO We need to take a step back and become civilized.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I'm hoping the University of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine does well in the UK and gets approved over here in the US. If I lived in the UK I wouldn't even be allowed to get the Pfizer (not sure on the Moderna one) vaccine due to some allergies I have, so I'm not rushing out to get the same exact thing here.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm hoping the University of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine does well in the UK and gets approved over here in the US. If I lived in the UK I wouldn't even be allowed to get the Pfizer (not sure on the Moderna one) vaccine due to some allergies I have, so I'm not rushing out to get the same exact thing here.

I'm not sure what those allergies are, but there are a number of vaccines in various stages of development. The two mRNA ones are the first two with EUA, but several other types are getting close. I hear that the adenovirus-based ones (Ad26) are coming up quickly, such as the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

The allergies are a concern with any vaccine. I read it's usually 1 in a million where the Pfizer has 3 in a million. Still not good if you get an extreme reaction.Statistically that could just be a coincidence but it's best to err on the side of caution. Since you have allergies, you should heed the advice of your primary health care provider.

I haven't read anything about Moderna, and it does have different carrying agents.

You can google the list of ingredients and find out if you know you are allergic to any in both the Pfizer and the Moderna.

When I got my shot, a hospital worker gave me a form, and one of the yes/no questions asked if I was allergic to an unpronounceable ingredient that I don't recall. I put a question mark beside it, and when she asked, I said I don't know if I've ever been exposed to it or not.

I sat the required 15 minutes and nothing happened. Actually Leilani and I were recognized by people who have seen us perform who were also in the waiting area, and we chatted for almost a half hour until the available seats started to get sparse, and we decided it would be best if we left.

Oxford/AZ should be approved soon, and a couple of other big pharma companies are still doing phase 3 testing and look hopeful.

I'm really intrigued by the science behind the mRNA vaccines. From what I've read about them, if this works like it is expected to, it may be a game changer for many future diseases. I admit I don't understand all the science, but what I do get, looks very interesting to me.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Thanks for the compliment. I'm 74 and a half. Our governor has given priority to everyone over 65.

People often tell me that I look young for my age.

That makes two of us, Notes.

Me? July '46. They say it was a good year, if very cold in the UK.

I should get my first shot in Feb. A strict rollout here with the real oldies and vulnerables first, then key workers, etc.

So far about 2.5 million people vaccinated.

You do understand that even when you've had your two shots you can still catch the virus but you have a 90% chance of not being very ill.

You can still, having caught it, pass it on, as with flu.

Take care.

JohnG.

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

FDA says they're not approving the Astra-Zeneca Oxford vaccine until APRIL.

Which is rubbish, given they're already giving it in the U.K. and elsewhere, it should only have been weeks behind the same approval process given to Pfizer and Moderna. Astra-Zeneca obviously didn't grease the right hands in the U.S. government. The massive publicity Pfizer and Moderna got before the roll out, and the distortion "reporting" of the Oxford vaccine (when there was any...) is quite telling.

The Oxford vaccine doesn't have the same logistical distribution problems Pfizer/Moderna has, it's a travesty it's not being doled out here in the States! My 86 year old father is on the Georgia Department of Health list - nothing, VA - nothing, and the local clinics that apparently were authorized to give it to elderly ran out fast. Meanwhile we're a big medical school town here in Augusta Georgia - and they're slowwwwwwly vaccinating employees here, but slowwwwwwly, and some don't want it. We have the resources here to have had EVERYBODY in the health care industry vaccinated in 2 days, it's ...

..it's a lack of leadership from the top. You know who I'm talking about. From January on, things could have been different, and the lack of preparation for this - when they had *months* - the lack of the use of FEMA, pushing the responsibility onto the States - is another indictment. 3 million doses a month IS NOT GOING TO WORK. It will MUTATE. We should all have access to the vaccine by the end of next month, logistically it could and should have happened. This is a frakking NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

. I'm hearing about someone I know who's just been diagnosed with it 3-4 times a week now for the last few weeks. Before this surge, the virus seemed way more distant and random. t

I went from knowing a handful of people with it, a few deaths from friends of friends, to suddenly last week a lot, maybe 1-2 a day on Facebook.

Which would be in keeping with Christmas and New Year's. And the natural unchecked curve, which should go exponential any day now with the hospitals full.

The people I know that have had it feel they're out of danger. They think they've got immunity equivalent to the vaccine, and because they feel fine "no harm done". Which isn't necessarily the case, and they're making things worse as examples. Meanwhile I know a guy in his 30's who got it back in May whose sense of taste hasn't come back, says he has to make himself eat "cardboard". Another (also in his 30s) that says he "gets winded a bit" walking around, who "got over it" a month ago.

No big deal.

The heart, kidney and liver problems will show up a few years from now and be another reason we need to make M4A happen - hospital owners are salivating at the future profits...