Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's fear it!!! Post your favorite current pop music here!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might also dig Pierre Kwenders.

[video:youtube]

Yes, this up my alley. I really ought to know more about African and African diaspora music, but alas I am not up on it. I imagine there are some killer bands, obscure or otherwise, who see the Bruno Mars thing and are like "and this is what happens when you turn it up to 11..."

My music http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Pk12

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

I like this tune an awful lot.

No Prince influence at all. I swear. :D

Warning - a bit NSFW.

dB

He did co-write it, after all.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I could come up with some current music I find easily passable, probably even a thing or two I like. It's clear to a dreadfully unhip child with learning problems already without a doubt that the music ain't doing so good, and that all that new "sound" stuff just ain't cutting it. Yet ? Maybe you guys don't know, but even for easy going, simple people with no background in the wonderful music a lot here (including me) had on the hot 100 while growing up, let alone for upstanding new intellectuals it is perfectly clear there's a difference between a group of people trying out a program for scoring record sales, and serious artists with a capital A.

So without "fearing" It, I got to say somehow, those guys and girls trying to prove to the world Idols and Glee and God knows what is the right way to the top aren't attracting me. As an experiment, "can the computer compose the perfect hit" it would still have a lacking presentation and what's the humanness in there? But grown man of preferably some life's experience running behind people hopping the hip or putting their ass forward in some rapperdeesh*t is disgusting, IMO. Sound mostly like "commies for treason" than most other associations, I cannot take that very seriously unless I feel coerced.

T>

Possibly relevant to the conversation. I'm sure we could site some Beato vids too.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread since we're in the midst of a new "the only good music was the music I liked when I was the age that young people are now" conversation.

I am greatly enjoying Black Pumas right now. This particular track has a bit of a throwback vibe, so it might sneak in the back door for some of the "all new music sucks" contingent. I love the ragged-ass guitar solo that rages starting just after 2:15. Check out their song "Colors" too for some nice vintage-keyboard spotlights.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I started a minor flame war on my social media account by saying nice things about Taylor Swift. But she's the real deal IMO, and songs like this show she has grown WAY past her Disney princess days. Her lyrics stand above most of her peers, and this song has a gritty vibe that I see as a shot across the bow that she's not going to be dismissed as easily as the old-dude crowd might like.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I've got both feet planted squarely in mid-life, and I've only yelled at kids on my lawn once ('cause they were dropping the hard "R" n-word and cussing up a storm for some reason... does that make me old?)

So that said, for pure pop, Dua Lipa's "Don't Start Now" is just groovy as hell.

But I often like my pop with moodiness whisked in, so The Japanese House has been worthwhile.

I make software noises.

I've got both feet planted squarely in mid-life, and I've only yelled at kids on my lawn once ('cause they were dropping the hard "R" n-word and cussing up a storm for some reason... does that make me old?)

So that said, for pure pop, Dua Lipa's "Don't Start Now" is just groovy as hell.

But I often like my pop with moodiness whisked in, so The Japanese House has been worthwhile.

Don't Start Now is good, but this version is the best one IMO.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I can't STAND any modern song that has the I-V-vi-IV progression or a trap beat (even worse if it had both), but some songs released within the past couple of years I consider good:

- Recent Taylor Swift: I haven't heard "Evermore" yet, but I dig a lot of the songs from the "Folklore" and "Lover" albums. The title track from "Lover" is a sweet haunting ballad in 6/8:

I have a teenage niece who's an aspiring singer-songwriter (this uncle even gave her some support a few years back by buying her a microphone and a USB audio interface to improve the quality of her recordings) and Taylor Swift is to her what Stevie Wonder is to me. She did a livestream Facebook acoustic performance a few weeks ago and I asked her to do a cover of "Lover." She did a wonderful rendition of it that made me proud.

- The Weeknd's synthwavey "Blinding Lights" is an amalgam of 1980s Giorgio Moroder, Rod Stewart's "Young Turks" and a-Ha's "Take On Me":

- Also second the motion of Dua Lipa. "Levitating" is another funky track that I enjoy playing bass to:

- I'm no huge K-Pop fan, but I can't resist the catchiness of BTS' "Dynamite" (Look ma, it modulates towards the end!):

- Speaking of catchy, Doja Cat's "Say So" became an earworm for me this past Summer:

Guess it bears mentioning that the last three all have some very obvious disco/funk influences, rather than depend on 21st-century compositional cliches.

Here are a few recent pop songs I've taken a liking to.

Dua Lipa - Break My Heart. This one is the real star of the Future Nostalgia album in my opinion. Don't Start Now (particularly the Live in LA version) is good, but this one is better yet IMO. It hasn't been as heavily promoted in the US for whatever reason. A good modern Disco/funk song.

Emily Bear - I'm Not Alone. This one hasn't taken off it seems but for a kind of modern mellow song with electronic rhythms I think it's pretty good. Emily Bear of course is a very skilled young jazz pianist and artist, but this is in a different genre, sort of a mellow hip-hop thing.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

This is so NSFW, even posting the title makes me feel like the group's "filth elder." :laugh: Men Of A Certain Age will get the joke(s) readily. I enjoy Posehn a lot, including his "Big Bang Theory" appearances and bit roles in trashy-fun movies here & there.

I'm with him more than not. In the 70s and 80s, the bands sounded wildly *different* from one another. Remember that? So yep, been there, smelled that.

watch?v=NS3WyhVyIoY&feature=emb_logo

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I have listened to more pop music in the last year than I have in the last decade combined, because my kids are getting to the age where they want to choose the music in the car.

I find most of it generic and unimpressive but I Panic! At The Disco is a big standout, like MOI posted above. Brendon Urie is incredibly talented.

Then, there"s this one. You all probably know it unless you hid under a rock or were in quarantine last year or something...

Edit: Sorry, only after I posted did I see elsongs had posted it above...

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• 2 weeks later...