Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - How do you take your movies?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a really great 4-theater independent cinema in town, in pre-Covid times my wife and I would go at least a couple times a month. We've been renting movies through them since the shutdown just to try to generate some income for them, they are one of the businesses I would really, really miss if they don't re-open.

We'd go the local multiplex for the Marvel movies as they came out, but I think, since Endgame, my interest in the series has waned. I have most of them on 4k disc now as well.

We got a ridiculous 65" TV as a gift last year, and one of the first projects I did in the shutdown was to patch it into a relatively nice 2.1 sound system, and pick up a 4k/BluRay player. Just recently got the 4k of Bladerunner and watched it, just stunning video and sound. Would love to put in a surround system, but convincing my wife to have 3 more speakers in the living room might be a challenge. I like having physical copies of movies (and music, just got a new turntable as well).

For streaming we do Netflix,and I got HBOMax as an add-on to my phone plan. We've been considering adding BritBox and/or Criterion Channel, may do so this winter if we are still stuck at home.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Amazon Prime is my only source for movies, but that's ok because I only watch TV sporadically, on a 10 year old 32" flat screen that is easily a football field larger than the black and white I grew up watching. I find myself drawn to sci-fi now. I enjoyed the series "Electric Dreams", based on short stories by Philip K. Dick. Some of the episodes were very thought provoking and timely, others just entertaining in a good old cheesy, Star Trek kind of way (original version, of course). Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Wanted to add, my Motion Sound keyboard amp makes a great auxiliary sound system.

how Black Widow could have possibly survived Endgame

She didn't. The movie takes place right after Civil War.

Very underrated movie. I think it contains the best work from Downey in the entire series.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Never go to the theatre. A few months prior to Covid we upgraded to a 70' TV, then when Covid hit we started watching Netflix, 1 episode/night without binging. Saw The Crown, Mad Men, just finished Breaking Bad this week, currently watching the El Camino movie. Next? Likely Better Call Saul.

I prefer a good bluray source over a "real" cinema at times. I used to watch blurays and HD sat recordings on a big (106" IIRC) cinema grade screen, but the ( good though ) projector only is 720HD, so it's a quality computer screen usually. With full sound system, possibly my sound is better than in the cinema, and honestly I like those big analog frames being projected larger than life a lot better than the digital movies 've seen (not many) in the big hall.

I've looked at more than a few netflix films ans series, I can't say it makes it to the quality level I prefer often, but then again there's no pretense of high q.The big Amsterdam library has a sizable bluray collection I at time borrow some from to watch, like the latest Suits, cult films some newer movies with hip elements. Even the latest 007 whenever it comes out on bluray.

T

Question about American made movies!

How d the bad guys empty magazine after magazine towards the good guys and the bullets never hit anyone?

Col, Col, Col! You need to watch more movies my friend!

This is a digression, but you did remind me of "The A-Team" TV series starring George Peppard, which I used to love as a kid. During any given episode, our band of heroes and a small army of bad guys would be lined up firing various automatic weapons at each other. If memory serves, total gunshot fatality count was always zero. I guess that had more to do with timeslots and classification ratings than poor marksmanship on behalf of the characters.

• 4 months later...

Over the last ten years or so, my movie-watching has shrunk a LOT. Maybe one or two theater visits a year (none this year of course). I browse on Netflix, Prime etc and very little appeals to me. Occasionally a gem (IMO) hits me, like The Vast of Night (which was extremely low-budget and was shot in 21 days). I only go the theaters for big spectacle movies, but I also hate dumb movies, so that rules most of those out :) My next visit was going to be Dune, and it'll be a real shame if that doesn't make it to a theater.

I watch more shows that movies, I tend to like long interweaving story arcs. Whichever, I am pickier about wanting good writing, acting and plot than I used to be.

My favorite method of watching films is attending the cinema. Unfortunately, it's not allowed these days, and I am not sure when I would be able to visit the cinema next time. So, the last option for me is watching films at home. Sometimes, it becomes really boring, you know. The atmosphere in the cinema is a unique one. I have been browsing tons of different sites recently. The most impressive one is xmovies8.pw very comfortable to use and has many variants. I am sure you have visited at least one of the sources displayed there in your life.

Bots really out here stealing washed-up NHL players' identities?

How d the bad guys empty magazine after magazine towards the good guys and the bullets never hit anyone?

The same way that a vehicle can take damage in one scene, then be dent free in the next scene.

Yep. You've been watching movies for way too long when asking youself how that standard 9mm clip held more than 18 shots. :laugh:

Now, I see dirty cameras, shadows from the camera crew and other production issues that haven't been cleaned up in post.

But, I guess that will be par for the course especially with some of these Netflix originals. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The same way that a vehicle can take damage in one scene, then be dent free in the next scene.

Yep. You've been watching movies for way too long when asking youself how that standard 9mm clip held more than 18 shots. :laugh:

Now, I see dirty cameras, shadows from the camera crew and other production issues that haven't been cleaned up in post.

But, I guess that will be par for the course especially with some of these Netflix originals. :laugh::cool:

I think there"s an episode of 'Fawlty Towers" (Gourmet Night maybe?) where you can see crew members and boom mics in a couple of shots.

Love it in the theatre. It's the best. Saw Ford VS Ferrari - the first time it was on a 70 foot screen. No way I could duplicate that at home. It was awesome. Plus there's the focus factor, nothing around to distract me like stuff in the neighborhood (Cat, loud cars, helicopters etc..)

3-4, sometimes 2.

I like the big theater when my wife and I are the only ones there. Happened the last couple of times.

I like classic films, but also a lot of obscure foreign films, animation, concert and music videos, box sets of old tv series, famous directors, comedies...

Ceased watching cable or broadcast TV since 2000. Waste of money and time. Not interested in streaming services.

Haven't been to a movie theater in over ten years. Concession stand got too expensive, hate the ads before the movie, I hate the theater sound.

My movie watching is DVD through the home stereo. Not seeking the theater experience (I hate the theater sound). My library is ~700 DVDs. These days I'll watch 3 or 4 a month, very infrequent (that's why I won't pay for streaming or cable). Most of my library are the older movies or concerts, very few new movies are any good.

My emphasis for sound reproduction is clarity of dialogue. Too many movies are way too dynamic (I hate the theater sound) so I inserted a stereo compressor between the DVD player and the stereo. Now I can hear the dialogue without the loud dynamics straining my ears and my stereo speakers.

My emphasis for sound reproduction is clarity of dialogue. Too many movies are way too dynamic (I hate the theater sound) so I inserted a stereo compressor between the DVD player and the stereo. Now I can hear the dialogue without the loud dynamics straining my ears and my stereo speakers.

We watch movies at home with the audio through a pair of speakers and I've always been annoyed that the music/action noise drowns out the dialogue. I never thought of using a compressor, but was considering a center speaker hoping that most of the dialogue went through it allowing adjustment.

We did a renovation on our home in 2006. At the time I took the liberty of designing in a home theater system for the family room. It's a "5.2" system, with a unique L/C/R arrangement up front, Boston Acoustics surrounds built into the ceiling above the view and a pair of high quality Martin Logan subwoofers. The front speakers are made by a company called Artison; two speakers flank the television and each contains center channel drivers (pointed slightly inward) and their respective left and right drivers (pointed slightly outward). At the time, the company custom cut the decorative grille case to match the television's dimension, giving a nice clean look and is perfectly integrated visually.

And the subs kick some serious butt!

The television is currently a Samsung 52" 4K LED - the space will not support anything larger. Sound is driven by a Marantz multi-zone receiver, which also drives a whole-house audio system. Zone 2 of the receiver connects to a Niles 12-channel amps that drives installed speakers throughout the house and my outdoor patio. There are individual volume controls in the rooms where the installed speakers are mounted.

Verizon FiOS is our service provider - we have 100Mb service which is perfectly fine for us.

With this setup, we've really been digging the quality of services like Disney+, Netflix and Apple TV offerings. We've gone through the entire MCU movie series, most of the Pixar stuff, The Mandalorian, etc. Moving away from broadcast TV a lot lately.

All this to say we plan to put our house up on the market in the spring and leave all of this. Our next step is probably a townhouse rental for a year or two while we wait for some family things to settle and for the real estate market to calm down in the Northeast. The next place will probably not have the installed setup I do today. I'm ok with that, and look forward to creating the next system. My hope is the next move will cut the cable and be only streaming services.