Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current Fender Rumble series: just found out it's Genz Benz

I thought I had already posted about my purchase of my first all solid state bass guitar combo amp in 30 years, driven by my need for gear at my new home in North Carolina after my 3100 mile drive from California for the new job and leaving all my gear behind.

As I absolutely despised the previous generation beyond compare, I hadn't even bothered trying the latest series (now a few years old) when it came out, falsely presuming them to be mere facelifts on the same amp designs in order to better meet the now-popular Fender Silverplate era look-and-feel. I couldn't have been more wrong!

I tried every size in the series, and though I thought at the time of purchase a month ago that I wouldn't have a 5-string bass while in this state, I have no regrets over having chosen the 1x15" model (Rumble 200) after initially considering the 1x12 model (Rumble 100; the smaller ones didn't have enough body to the sound but did have nice timbre and balance overall). The same-sized 2x10" model (Rumble 500) seemed a bit hard to tame.

The 200 is really a nice sound overall, very articulate and balanced and probably the easiest to tame as well as go aggressive; whereas the 100 starts to lack a bit when you push it and the 500 is on steroids at all times.

Anyway, this amp worked great when I only had the Hofner Verythin Hollowbody Semi-Acoustic Bass with me, but it works even better on the just-arrived used G&L 5-string Kiloton bass.

I expect this amp to come in useful for club gigs back in California as well; I have been using the Fender '57 Bassman (4x10) LTD reissue and it's nice and all-tubes and less hassle than my Mesa setup (separates) but I think the Rumble 200 will be the one I use for jazz gigs and small rock gigs once back home. Of course the all-tube amps will likely still be preferred in the pro studio recording settings.

The big surprise for me was that I discovered accidentally just moments ago on GearSlutz that the current Rumble series is indeed a complete re-do and represents the culmination of a merger or purchase of intellectual property of the Genz Benz company by Fender a few years ago. I always greatly respected the Genz Benz product line and almost bought one of their amps at one point. It does not surprise me that this explains the Rumble quality.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have confirmed that Genz Benz were already part of the Kamen subsidiary of Fender at the time they were fully absorbed into Fender via the re-do of the Rumble solid state bass combo and bass amp head line.

One of the chief technologists involved, went to work for Mesa at that time. I wonder if he was responsible for my phenomenal sounds-like-an-Ampeg-SVT all-tube Prodigy, or the Walkabout that I had before that?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The new Rumbles are great amps. Our bassist had the 100 and it always sounded great on 4 string. We are not a real loud rock band so it was enough for stage volume.

He flipped it and kept his Hartke 1-12" which is also nice but much heavier. Nice form factor though, monitor cab so it aims at your head without a stand.

I went with another friend to our local Guitar Center and they had the Rumble 200. He bought it but then sold it to the bassist in his band before I could get a shot at it.

I concur, it is the best in the line. Not too big or too heavy and it delivers the lows much better than the 100. I still want one and I don't gig bass enough to merit owning it.

My bassist will loan me something if I have a gig (about 3-4 times a year on bass).

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a great Genz Benz head that I bought back in 2000. Served me for several years. If I had been smart enough to buy the next level up, with more wattage, I probably would have kept it. Their customer service was great, too. I do still have a GB 2x10 cabinet that sounds wonderful.

I was really ticked when Fender bought them, then ultimately shut them down. What a horrible way to do business, just buying up the competition and closing them down (yeah that happens in all manor of businesses). Glad that Genzler is up & about; and I guess ultimately a good thing that the purchase panned out in using some of that great technology for Fender.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band