Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Vintage knob" now for P6/OB6 as well

So...

For everyone who complained (as myself) about the "dead stiff" VCO´s of the P6/OB6 which makes them sound like DCO´s...

Finally, DSI has listened and have implemented the Vintage Knob feature from the new Prophet 5/10 Rev 4 in the latest Firmware

1.64 which is still only in Beta and only be downloaded from the DSI forum.

Haven´t found a decent demo yet where the obvious test would be just a chord and turning the vintage knob up and down.

It´s not selectable per patch (yet)...you have to choose the current "detune" character or the new vintage knob character in global settings.

I will personally wait until it´s out of Beta as people reported wonkiness with pan spread etc after updating to the new firmware.

I have no illusion it will make the OB6 behave like an OB-X, but hopefully useful enough to put a little "fake liveliness" into the DCO´s....sorry "VCO´s"...

Oh, and the new firmware now supports MPE as well :)

Main OS 1.6.4

Feature: MPE support

Feature: Slop now supports normal slop or Vintage operation

Here is one demo

watch?v=eDMdKbTyI60

Beta firmware: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,1190.0.html

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the P6/OB6 at NAMM 2016 when they were released. One of the development engineers at the show was someone I knew for a long time. As a happy OBX owner who appreciated the value of its imperfections, I suggested something like the "vintage knob" to the engineer. Not just the VCOs but also the VCF cutoff and EG transients. This engineer had also worked for Oberheim back in those days. Happy to see it was included in the reissue P5/P10, and very happy they are now implementing it for the P6/OB6. DSI does listen to its customers.

I played the P6/OB6 at NAMM 2016 when they were released. One of the development engineers at the show was someone I knew for a long time. As a happy OBX owner who appreciated the value of its imperfections, I suggested something like the "vintage knob" to the engineer. Not just the VCOs but also the VCF cutoff and EG transients. This engineer had also worked for Oberheim back in those days. Happy to see it was included in the reissue P5/P10, and very happy they are now implementing it for the P6/OB6.

Previous OBX owner here, agree 100% on this, the EG transients are super important for the 'liveliness' of the sound. Thanks for mentioning this to them.

IIRC, the slop knob controls "random" pitch drift and the new vintage feature dials up the shortcomings, er, model revisions. :D

I cannot help but to think this is synth equivalent of buying a brand new TV and having the option to add "snow". :laugh:

Needless to type, when I owned a P6, I checked out the Slop knob feature but never used it. Of course, YMMV. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I played the P6/OB6 at NAMM 2016 when they were released. One of the development engineers at the show was someone I knew for a long time. As a happy OBX owner who appreciated the value of its imperfections, I suggested something like the "vintage knob" to the engineer. Not just the VCOs but also the VCF cutoff and EG transients. This engineer had also worked for Oberheim back in those days. Happy to see it was included in the reissue P5/P10, and very happy they are now implementing it for the P6/OB6. DSI does listen to its customers.

As an owner of OB-X, OB-Xa and other vintage analogs, these super precise VCO´s of the OB-6 bothered me as I cannot recreate the behaviour of drifting oscillators that even my Nord Lead 1 has managed to simulate

I contacted DSI and asked if there was any chance doing something about this like turning this background tuning or whatever it is, off, (like on the Andromeda) to make the oscillators move...and the answer from one of the main engineers was that "people like this precise sound" :crazy: and told me to look for another synth if I don't like the OB-6 ;)....Talk about missing the point completely especially when I described all the things I liked with it....

I just bowed out understanding I won't get anywhere with him....

So I'm pretty sure we didn't talk to the same engineer...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I cannot help but to think this is synth equivalent of buying a brand new TV and having the option to add "snow". :laugh:

Yeah...this is more or less what it is...

The slop or detune on the OB-6 sounds so fake and wrong it´s not even funny....it doesn't mimic drifting oscillators but adds some weird unmusical "detuning"....

So I hope this new Vintage knob will do a little bit of a better job...

Arthur Schopenhauer

I contacted DSI and asked if there was any chance doing something about this like turning this background tuning or whatever it is, off, (like on the Andromeda) to make the oscillators move...and the answer from one of the main engineers was that "ProfD likes this precise sound" :crazy:

Corrected. ;)

I contacted DSI and asked if there was any chance doing something about this like turning this background tuning or whatever it is, off, (like on the Andromeda) to make the oscillators move...and the answer from one of the main engineers was that "ProfD likes this precise sound" :crazy:

Corrected. ;)

:laugh:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Corrected. ;)

:laugh:

Wait a minute...I resemble that remark. :D

I really do not have aversion to drifitng oscillators, sloppy or vintage sounds. I just don't need them. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've owned four of Dave's synths, so I'm an acolyte there, but yeesh, the weird lust for "vintage".... I'm certainly not opposed to some good slop, but I prefer DCO cleanliness over vintage fuzz. I'm as happy as hell to have so many filter options. That decides the final color more than anything else. The range in Pigments has brought me my first major filter-boner since my MiniMoog. (This is a family site, you can't say filter-boner to decent people! :o ) I simply don't hear it as such a huge thing once you have 15+ options. If you like riding a MoogerFooger because it adds the perfect beef to an ancient Roland or the like, great, that's what its for. For me, its more about "Finally, I can just grab what I need for making the right brick for the wall at hand."

I'm not a dolphin and can't hear a 60 Khz wave anyway, so I'm good to go. :thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese