Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq 7: Big Leap Forward with Layers

Impressive what you can do with layers in Pianoteq 7. The Steinway B layered with a touch of Rhodes plays like butter. I never thought of layering the Steinway B with Rhodes this way. 7notemode made the presets he is using in this video available for free download. I am having a blast with this sound. Check it out Pianoteq owners or just use the demo version if you don't own it.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting! But ... somewhat strange? To me, the layering sounds exactly like what it is - a Rhodes and a piano played at the same time. Which is not a sound I would ever attempt.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Interesting! But ... somewhat strange? To me, the layering sounds exactly like what it is - a Rhodes and a piano played at the same time. Which is not a sound I would ever attempt.

I also would never have attempted this and I didn't like the trem/vibrato too much in this video. But if you just switch off the tremolo and/or vibrato and put the Rhodes layer to max. 18 percent it adds a lovely warmth and a wooden body to the Steinway B or D without any recognizable Rhodes sound. The unlayered Pteq pianos alone lack a little bit of warmth compared with good sample libraries.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I also would never have attempted this and I didn't like the trem/vibrato too much in this video. But if you just switch off the tremolo and/or vibrato and put the Rhodes layer to max. 18 percent it adds a lovely warmth and a wooden body to the Steinway B or D without any recognizable Rhodes sound. The unlayered Pteq pianos alone lack a little bit of warmth compared with good sample libraries.

Yes, I could the benefit with the vibrato off for sure. I use Pianoteq's earlier versions so I'm definitely a fan.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Is this fundamentally different than just, you know, layering two patches? Like, what was keeping anyone from triggering a PianoTeq piano and a Rhodes before?

Not trying to shit on the parade, just wondering if this is just an in-the-box workflow change, or if there's something more exciting here.

Lovely demo, no question, but layering is Synth 102. I've layered two instances of a semi-weak AC piano, yielding a stronger one with only occasional phasing artifacts. It may feel a bit impure to do that when piano is mostly a singular force, but whatever serves the song is pure enough.

My first physical modeling experience was with Logic's Sculpture. I love the sound, but that GUI is like an alien's busy box. AAS's Chromaphone served my interest better with its great sound & accessibility, followed by Strum. I like PM a great deal, even if it can sound a bit too clean, so Pianoteq is my next buy. Aside from some hammer-hardening means for those fun tack piano moments, I'll find the nearest model that hits my Baldwin/Yamaha tonal sweet spot and be happy. I'm pretty sure I'll find a spot between my first wretched cat-coffin of an upright and the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand I got to tickle. I felt downright simian when confronted with the B, but what a pleasure to have that as a touchstone! If you've played a B or Fazoli, you know exactly what I mean. :keys:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Is this fundamentally different than just, you know, layering two patches? Like, what was keeping anyone from triggering a PianoTeq piano and a Rhodes before?

Not trying to shit on the parade, just wondering if this is just an in-the-box workflow change, or if there's something more exciting here.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he got it confused with the 'Morphing' feature? I mean layering has been around for ages, it"s not some big leap forward for musician kind.

The morphing feature where you merge the underlying models into a brand new model could possibly be moworthy of the title.'a big leap forward'. In fairness, 7notemode is a good player, I enjoy his playing on his other videos.

My guess, based on my knowledge of the folks at Modartt and how they approach new ideas, is that this isn't just a layering of individual models, but actually a composite model that adds (even very limited) physical interaction between the two, like tine resonance from being in physical contact with a piano soundboard.

However, that's just a guess, and if folks would like me to ask my contacts at Modartt, I'd be happy to try. OTOH if they put me under NDA like they usually do, it won't do anyone any good, so my attitude is, if it sounds good, enjoy it :D

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music