Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Teaser ???

M_G

And is this the first time they've revealed the "SK Pro" name?

Cheers, Mike.

No - it was in the title of the earlier videos.

The Nord Stage has a modelled synth up to 34 voices. For a mono synth to be a selling point it has to be special - as I said earlier it could be analogue. That would work for me as I use a Sub 37 for live as my Electro 6d is great for pads and strings but struggles at convincing lead sounds I could leave the Sub at home and put the Electro over my CP73 instead: I draw the line at 2 keyboards for live. If the SK Pro doesn"t have a user sample section I would have to stick with the Nord. But the screen on the SK Pro is large so hopefully the piano / sample section will be powerful.

I draw the line at 2 keyboards for live
Me too - and I suspect for a lot of forumites, two keyboards maximum. And also: two keyboards minimum, one weighted/hammer action, one unweighted, extra real estate etc. Which is why we need boards that can pull double duty (piano, organ, synth, ROMpler etc). So a organ+monosynth+ from Hammond is very interesting.

Cheers, Mike.

You can see a keys section next to organ section with piano, epiano, clav etc.

Yes, 2 sets of 6 buttons. Here's what we can see of their labels so far:

SKPro-Categories.jpg

Also, it appears to be a 61-key board (with pitch and mod to the left).

The Nord Stage has a modelled synth up to 34 voices. For a mono synth to be a selling point it has to be special - as I said earlier it could be analogue.

Another interesting possibility would be if you could process polyphonic sampled sounds (i.e. some of the ones called up by the buttons above) through the synth section (i.e. paraphonically), which would be another way to address an editable/programmable "poly synth" function.

However, if the SK Pro doesn"t have a user sample section I would have to stick with the Nord.

Yes, support for user samples is a big variable. In a way, it was surprising that the SK1 didn't have that, since it did have rewritable sample space (they had alternate sounds you could download and load into that section). Maybe the complication was in supplying an editor for their file format. The screen on this one could mean that they could support wav import/assignment internally, without having to deal with the issues of Mac/PC software development/maintenance. (The alternate "easy" solution would be to support an existing format, i.e. soundfont, which is the route Dexibell took.)

Other questions about how this would compare with a Nord Stage 3 would be whether it has aftertouch, and what the total number of splittable/layerable sounds would be (in what possible combinations), and whether it will be available with more than 61-keys (I'd like to see a 73-C-to-C). It presumably has at least as much MIDI zoning capability as the SK1, which already gives it more MIDI zoning than the 2 EXT sections of the Stage, and it's a safe bet it won't have Nord's fixed split points. Between the large screen and the buttons directly below it, I would assume there is almost certainly good patch selection facility.

The Leslie Sim seems improved. Sound good!

The recording appears to be taken from "in the room" rather than direct out (note you can hear his fingers hitting the keys, etc.), so we may be hearing it through a Leslie. Though unlike the recent conversation about the YC61 demo not using its built-in sim, this would be less surprising, in that Hammond happens to also be in the business of selling Leslies.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good detective work!

61 Keys - showcasing that configuration is a surprise given the potential. Splitting 3 sections across 61 keys isn't that useful. But they are bound to release 73 key version. The category section reminds me of Roland. The XK1 had a very well thought out key zone system for splits (not just limited to range but lots of other parameters too).

Soundfonts would be a good option as there are editors out there like Polyphone. That would be a step up from Nord. I like the idea of sending samples through the filter of the Mono Synth.

Leslie was on fast all the time I think, and as AnotherScott suggests it could be an external unit.

Bring on the next teaser!

Leslie was on fast all the time I think, and as AnotherScott suggests it could be an external unit.

At 43 seconds, you can see and hear him switch the rotary from fast to slow (and later back again). And yes, the rotary speed buttons on an SK can control the speed of either the internal sim or an externally attached Leslie.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If that's not the internal sim, it's a sneaky, sleazy, snake oily way to sell product. If it is the internal sim, WOW!!!
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Maybe it has the B3x leslie sim. I wonder if the 10 sliders for the mono synth could be converted to be used as a 2nd set of drawbars???? If the pianos are upgraded from the SK1, and if it has the XK5 engine and they deliver it in 73 keys this is probably what I'm looking for (if they don't F up the pricing as they usually do).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I was pretty sure this was what I was seeing, but I did a screen grab and messed with the exposure to be sure. This is a welcome addition.

At the :54 mark in the recent video on the top right of the keyboard it has "SK Pro Hammond" stamped on the keyboard.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Anyone else think that it"s quite cute the way that the vibrato/chorus options are arranged in a circle so that if you squint it looks like the knob on a B3?

Just me? I"ll get me coat.

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

I never would have thought of previous Hammond keyboards as anything other than "pro," so it's an odd choice of labels. But it's easy to criticize names, much harder to come up with them, especially when you need corporate approval.

Providing a physical switch for the full range of chorus/vibrato options always strikes me as an endearing allegiance to tradition. Most organists just have a favorite and stick with it, suggesting they would be fine with it being a menu option. Does anybody even use "vibrato" settings? I suppose it doesn't cost much to provide, and you don't want to upset the Hammond purists. But I thought it was a little ridiculous that the biggest control on the Crumar Mojo expander is a giant knob for switching C/V settings, as if that's what players would be reaching for most often.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If you gigged with an SK series you got an organ, acoustic piano, electric piano, clav, but no real synth capabilities; so you'd have to drag another keyboard around in order to provide that aspect of sound. This appears to solve that problem. Until we learn more about the innerworkings of this keyboard we're going to need alot more information; everything at this point is speculation, i.e. is it VASE III or the XK5 engine based? What leslie sim? Was the acoustic piano improved (maybe it was but they haven't released the video yet to show it); does it import samples? what samples are included? It's all speculation and conjecture. As for me, the real question is ALWAYS price especially given the gigging environment we're in; paying alot of money for a keyboard that will sit in a basement because COVID doesn't allow us to play out. I have a grand piano and two hammonds already and that's what I use to noodle around with at the house; a keyboard like this is for me is for playing out; not noodling around in the house. I see alot of establishments moving to 2 or 3 piece bands, alot more acoustic acts; people seem to like it for a variety of reasons: 1) they just want to get out and hear live music having been cooped up in the house for almost a year 2) not as loud, acoustic acts seem to be more personable than a 5 piece loud rock band 3) owners like it because the act costs them less and the volume levels are a lot quieter.

If this is the direction we're headed toward for the next few years then price point is really a key for me. As this is a single manual keyboard (not dual manual like the SKX) it could possibly land just north of $2K, with a 73 key being under $2500? I guess we'll see, Hammond always commands a premium price and I assume this is no different.

My two cents.....

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If that's not the internal sim, it's a sneaky, sleazy, snake oily way to sell product. If it is the internal sim, WOW!!!

To my ears, it sounds like they recorded the room with a mic, and we hear the sim through a monitor alongside the key noise. It really sounds great. Can't wait to see what else it offers, maybe I could finally get rid of my Nord Stage 3!

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

So a Dutch fellow (who lives in the same city as Hammond EU headquarters and claims to have experience/knowledge with the product) has been commenting on the clonewheel Facebook page saying that it is the internal sim, that we might be surprised at the price and that it"s not VASE III (this last one was a bit vague). He said to wait for the new trailer in a couple of days...

...Random guy off the internet speculation, but hey, it"s early January. This is the time of year where everyone likes to speculate wildly about gear!

EDIT: Dude from Hammond Sweden also claims that"s the internal sim. We shall see.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Where is Jim (Alfredson) when we need him ???

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Dude from Hammond Sweden also claims that"s the internal sim. We shall see.

If that's the internal sim, it is odd that we're hearing the physical sounds of the player hitting the keys, etc. That means either the internal sim is being sent through some amp in the room (and we don't know what amp it might be... the only amps Hammond makes are Leslies), or they had a microphone connected into the feed as well (perhaps thinking the player might speak as part of the demo)...

It could be the B3x leslie sim which does sound great; but given we hear him playing (i.e. not a direct out of the keyboard) kind of makes me a little suspicious. If they know he's not going to speak why would they also setup a mic to pick up keyboard noises? I have to say if this is the B3x leslie, and it is a variation of the XK5 engine AND it is appropriately priced at a 61/73 key level, they have a winner.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Just make a dual 73 key version with aftertouch, the xk5 Engine (or an improvement) and extra sounds updated to the year of 2021 and they have told the competition Goodbye.

...if you don't care what it costs or what it weighs. ;-)

Just make a dual 73 key version with aftertouch, the xk5 Engine (or an improvement) and extra sounds updated to the year of 2021 and they have told the competition Goodbye.

...if you don't care what it costs or what it weighs. ;-)

Occasionally, just occasionally, I miss Sven.

So Suzuki clones a Nord? How ironic.
Nord: anything else is just a clone.

Cheers, Mike.

So Suzuki clones a Nord? How ironic.

They don't need to.

It's the wrong colour to be a Nord clone ;) But seriously this looks more like a Roland VR09/730 clone. It even has buttons for the separate categories. I think it has 2 category banks - 1 for Piano, Harpsichord, Mallet etc and a 2nd bank for Strings, Brass etc. Even the lettering on the Mono Synth section reminds me of the VR-09B. Or have HS joined teamed up with Roland/Studio Electronics? They could pop an SE-02 in there - probably not as it's 3 oscillators.

I've still got a feeling the SX Pro is a collaboration. Maybe IK Multimedia using the B-3X engine and the Uno Synth.

It has potentially 4 sections:

1. 3-part organ

2. Keyboards and tuned percussion

3. Non keyboard section

4. Mono synth (Analogue?????)

Possible 3/4 way key split with layers? Mind boggling. I'm sure I won't be able to afford it :(

Colour me skeptical, but I see no reason to believe it's anything other than an SK1 with wheels, a mono synth and a larger LCD to put the stuff that's disappeared from the front panel, and I'm a little worried as to where they've put the effects controls that are on the right hand end of the panel on the SK1/2/X, but if the mono synth is the business I'm probably in regardless.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Colour me skeptical, but I see no reason to believe it's anything other than an SK1 with wheels, a mono synth and a larger LCD...but if the mono synth is the business I'm probably in regardless.

Yeah, that--especially with the enhancements of the SKX which I think would be likely--would be a perfectly respectable board right there. Presumably the touchscreen would also be used to enhance patch selection. Welcome bonuses would be the things I mentioned earlier... ability to load soundfonts into the sample memory, ability to paraphonically process the "other voices" through the synth controls, aftertouch... I think that's what would make it more solidly a Nord Stage 3 competitor, if they want to approach that price point.