Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vicount Legends '70 - Nord Grand killer ?

Saw a picture of this one at FB.

Interesting.

Wood keys, triple sensor, graded hammer technique, but nothing about the actual keyboard mechanichs. Fatar ?

I liked the larger flat top for something above, but strange thing to change a complete soundmodule if you want to switch between different sounds ( others than what"s on the module itself).

They are listed at Thomann, a bit cheaper than Nord piano 4 or Grand.

https://www.viscountinstruments.com/instrument/legend-70s/

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Looks really nice. 35 lbs seems very reasonable for that package. I have not yet owned any gear from this company, and only a tangential demo of some of the organ products at NAMM a few years ago. I'm interested to learn more.

but strange thing to change a complete soundmodule if you want to switch between different sounds ( others than what"s on the module itself).

You can have multiple modules installed simultaneously.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looks really nice. 35 lbs seems very reasonable for that package. I have not yet owned any gear from this company, and only a tangential demo of some of the organ products at NAMM a few years ago. I'm interested to learn more.
IIRC that board contains a Fatar TP/100 action that has a love/hate relationship with this forum. (I'm in the latter camp). OTOH Crumar felt it was so similar to a Rhodes action that they selected it for the Seven on those grounds.

Cheers, Mike.

IIRC that board contains a Fatar TP/100 action that has a love/hate relationship with this forum. (I'm in the latter camp). OTOH Crumar felt it was so similar to a Rhodes action that they selected it for the Seven on those grounds.

i beleive they have 3 versions... 73 and 88 TP100, and an 88 higher end Fatar action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I like the sounds I hear here in this video ( english subtitles available ). Great Rhodes sound, I love when it got that barking (around the 9 min in), but didn"t hear much of the Wurlitzer sound here or in the other videos, and what I heard was not jaw dropping.

But if it have the TP100, I think I have changed my mind, and will keep dreaming of a Nord Grand as I want something closer to an acoustic piano feel ( I am looking for a eletric piano for my living room, and perhaps for a few gigs).

[video:youtube]

I have a Viscount Legend Live and have owned several Nords. I think Viscount offers really good sounding products for the money, but I would give the edge to Nord in better build quality, just from that perspective. Not saying Viscount build quality is bad, but I think Nords is higher, if that makes sense.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

i beleive they have 3 versions... 73 and 88 TP100, and an 88 higher end Fatar action.

That's right (rule 3 of this forum: Scott is always right :smile:). The expensive 88 obviously weighs much more than the 35lb mentioned above.

Cheers, Mike.

That's right (rule 3 of this forum: Scott is always right :smile:). The expensive 88 obviously weighs much more than the 35lb mentioned above.

Cheers, Mike.

According to Thomann, the fully fledged model "70s Artist W EX" w/ 88 graded hammer wooden keys weights 19,5 kilos which is 42.99lbs.

Thomann_Viscount 70´s Artist W EX

I don´t consider that being heavy for a weighted, graded hammer, triple sensor, 88 wooden keys action.

The Rhodes and AP modules sound excellent IMO.

I appreciate the PM approach !

A Thomann user who bought the 70´s Artist "compact" and " W EX" version reported:

Only a good organ module is missing evn the action wouldnt be ideal to play organ,- just only because the organs in PCM "Soundcollection" module aren´t on par w/ a good clone.

The APs in that PCM module are good already, while the dedicated AP module improves dynamics and sonic quality even more.

IMO it´s a intersting instrument, last but not least because of it´s "flat top" design and modularity.

And,- according to the manual,- when kbd-split mode is disabled, it seems to be possible to assign EACH sound module to it´s individual freely programmable key zone across the entire keyboard range.

That´s a max. of 4 modules,- EP, AP, CL, SC,- plus EXT (externally connected MIDI sound module),- OR,- when kbd.- split is enabled, assignment of each of the modules is limited to lower or upper sections offering variable split point.

Even better,-"Sound Collection" and "External" modules each comprise 2 parts,- each part freely assignable to individaul zones or lower/upper as well.

To me, that means, the machine plays 5 internal and polyphonic sounds simultaneously and as part of a "program",- AND because MIDI transmit/receive parameters are identical (I looked into the MIDI specs in latest available manual), that might work via MIDI RX (USB and/or Din-MIDI) too.

The 2 parts of "External" come in addition,- think 2 MIDI channels trigger a MIDI multimode module or 2 single-timbral modules/synths, each on it´s individual MIDI channel.

A program´s controller assigments across modules seem to be feely programmable and independend,- except CC#11 and CC#4 usually being assigned to the MIDI expression pedals connected.

MIDI CC numbers implementation seems to be complete.

There´s a list of by Legand 70´s received and transmitted MIDI parameters on page 141 of the english manual.

Not bad,- and I hope it´s all correct !

:)

A.C.

Would love to see a Viscount Legend 70's versus Crumar Seven comparison/shootout. And what the hell, throw the Korg SV2 too.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

There is one at Youtube, I believe it is from Kraft Music.

I have calmed down, and also found out that it was present at winter Namm 2020, so old news. I like the form, the color and the flat top, but basically their most expensive version are a Nord Piano 4 with a Nord Grand shape.

Wood keys and Fatar TP40 mechanic.

Add some better midi-capabilities, pitch and mod wheel, subtract some pedal options (sustenuto and halfpedal) and at a price point between the Nord Piano 4 and the Nord Grand ( at least here in Denmark for the top-model).

Again, I applaud any company willing to take the plunge in manufacturing and providing us with an alternative KB instrument.

Obviously, sound, FTEC build quality are important factors but marketing, promotion and availability go a long way too.

IMO, companies like Viscount, Crumar and Valente will always be boutique brands. None of them will ever be a threat to Nord's market penetration and appeal.

Along similar lines, IMO, Nord will never overtake Yamaha, Korg and Roland. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent presentation. It"s always nice to see a company willing to take risks and go with a concept no one else is doing. These instruments look great. The acoustic piano section is just as important as the electric imho if this is going to be the one board you carry with you. Last year the demos for that AP module that they shared were bizarre. They sound better in this presentation. The idea of picking what you want, adding to the instrument over time is nice. But I think the Legend 70s would have to be very successful for that commitment to expansion to continue.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Couldn't agree more, it's is a very exciting concept. Everything sounds really good in these demos, you'd think Viscount had been making instruments like these for years. The stage keyboard market is getting really crowded (I'm currently gassing on the Ham Sk Pro as well...).

Sounds great, and is a great looking instrument. If I was gigging regularly and cared about having a put-together, minimalist polished aesthetic (and wanted to drop this kind of money on my piano, and wanted to carry something this heavy and large around to gigs), this ticks a lot of boxes.

• 2 months later...

Chuck, thank you for the thorough walk-thru of the Legend! Between your review and James Shawcross"s, there not much else you would want to know about sounds and operation. So valuable :thu:

After contacting Viscount directly, I"ve found a reseller on the West Coast; I plan to order a Compact to compare playability with the SV2 â one of those two will be my new 'Rhodes' :)

Forum FYI: There"s a dedicated website for the line: legend70s.com

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 2 weeks later...

Have had the SV-2 for a week, and the Legend '70s arrived yesterday...

CA5QYgJ.jpg

mC362dh.jpg

ipvG68g.jpg

• The (new? customized?) 3-sensor TP100 keybed is much more playable than any other implementation I've played in a Nord, et.al. I like it better than the RH3 which is not radically different, but the Legend feels more comfortable and pliable in my hands than the SV-2.
  • Pitch/mod wheels, while oriented vertically instead of horizontally, are welcome on the Legend; SV-2 does not include them.
  • The speakers on the SV-2 are actually quite good, and I miss that feature on the Legend.
  • The gamut of pre- and post-effects on both boards is similarly thorough, but the Legend wins on clarity, and on flexible routing (selectable in series, or in parallel)
  • SV-2, at 40lbs., is only 5 lbs. heavier than the Legend, but it feels like way more.
  • SV-2 legs are fiddly to attach, and also heavy; the Legend's legs are light, and form a sturdy free-standing "table" that the board sits on (and can be attached to; see pic, above). Pretty nice design that allows the legs to easily be left behind without having to disassemble them.
  • Rhodes on the Legend is modelled, not sampled, as on the SV-2. Factory Rhodes presets on the SV-2 are pretty awesome; better "showroom demo" sounds out-of-the-box, but you get what you get. Legend is very tweakable, and you can dial in effects and Rhodes models to get exactly the tone that makes you smile.
  • SV-2 wins the acoustic piano competition, at least on the "Basic" Legend, like mine. There are just two AP samples in the "Sounds" module; they're fine, and still somewhat customizable, but not as good as the SV-2s in-built samples. If you pop for the optional "A.Piano" module, the Legend pulls ahead.
  • Legend has a FLAT TOP. 'Nuff said.
  • I/O jacks on the SV-2 are thorough, but Legend's go even further.
  • Both boards have pretty deep companion software apps that are required for some of the config features. SV-2 requires the app for more situations than the Legend, since it doesn't have a screen of its own for the user to interact with.
  • Legend has a Song List feature, similar to Nord's; not nearly as comprehensive as, say, what Kronos provides, but still handy. SV-2 has just standard "Favorites" presets.
  • SV-2's amp modelling seems a bit more extensive and specific, and it has a "tube". Legend has some amp modelling too, but I haven't ventured into the config app, yet.
  • Legend can layer up to as many simultaneous sounds as the installed modules provide -- which could add up to a lot; SV-2 allows just three layers.
  • Build quality is top-drawer on both boards -- they're both Italian, for goodness sake.

Although feature-for-feature it's about $300 more expensive, for my particular needs and preferences, it's kind of a landslide for the Legend -- that's the one I'm going to keep. I prefer the playability, the form-factor, the modular idea seems well-executed, and the customer-service so far, even from Italy, has been very good.

The (new? customized?) 3-sensor TP100 keybed is much more playable than any other implementation I've played in a Nord, et.al.

The boards I've played with the 3-sensor TP-100 have definitely felt better to me than the original... but oddly, I have not been able to get 3-sensor behavior out of them. Have you tried that on the Legend, and does it work? That is, can you play a note, lift the key up part way (not enough to actually silence the note) and then restrike the note without having silenced it first (without using the sustain pedal)?

One SV2 advantage over the Legend (to me at least) is that you can recall your saved patches without scrolling, via the 8 banks of 8 favorites. On the Legend, it seems to me that you always have to turn a knob to scroll/locate/select your next sound. Unless maybe you're using something else (like an app, or another board) to select your patches.

Unji has done a good demo of the legend. I brought the seven about a month or two before the legend got announced. I still think the Rhodes sounds fantastic in the seven , but those bright rotary encoded knobs drive me crazy. Also the AP sounds are not great . In hindsight I would have brought the legend if I was to choose between the two. Just a lot more to offer while still maintaining the retro feel.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Great review, Brad. Very useful comparison. I don't think I'll ever be a fan of the Fatar TP100 action. But in my opinion there is no really good action until you get above 40 lbs (41 for the Yamaha CP88). 38 lbs if you count the CP4 which is out of producdtion.

It's not insignificant that Viscount has implemented such a good stand design. From what I've seen: super quick to set up, totally stable, and even comes with a custom carry bag.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The (new? customized?) 3-sensor TP100 keybed is much more playable than any other implementation I've played in a Nord, et.al.

The boards I've played with the 3-sensor TP-100 have definitely felt better to me than the original... but oddly, I have not been able to get 3-sensor behavior out of them. Have you tried that on the Legend, and does it work? That is, can you play a note, lift the key up part way (not enough to actually silence the note) and then restrike the note without having silenced it first (without using the sustain pedal)?

I tried it last night from both the E.Piano and Sounds modules and, no, I could not trigger a restrike until I fully released the key; so, same behavior as standard 2-sensor. I presume that behavior is a software issue, rather than a hardware one (?).

One SV2 advantage over the Legend (to me at least) is that you can recall your saved patches without scrolling, via the 8 banks of 8 favorites. On the Legend, it seems to me that you always have to turn a knob to scroll/locate/select your next sound. Unless maybe you're using something else (like an app, or another board) to select your patches.

According to the manual you can use, in addition to the knob on the panel: 1) the Legend70s editor app; 2) an MIDI patch change command from a connected device/board; 3) foot pedals - there are jacks that can be used for "forward/backward" operations.