Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2020-2021 Thread

No one is more surprised than I am that the Steelers were able to come back from a 24-7 deficit. It was more about the Colts mistakes than the Steelers playing better on offense. For some reason, the Colts got pass happy in the second half and went away from what was working for them. I believe they only ran the ball 4 times in the second half. They were running all over the Steelers in the first half, I don't understand why they didn't keep running, burning the clock, and win the game. The Steelers Defense stepped up, got turn overs, and were able to give the Offense field position on the Colts side of the field. The Colts gave that game away.

I am NOT optimist about up-coming games. I know the Steelers are going to rest the starters next week. Who the Steelers draw and how they will play? Drop back 10 and punt.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is more surprised than I am that the Steelers were able to come back from a 24-7 deficit.

I am NOT optimist about up-coming games. I know the Steelers are going to rest the starters next week. Who the Steelers draw and how they will play? Drop back 10 and punt.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers, I told my Steelers fans to RELAX yesterday. I knew they would comeback and win in the 2nd half. Sure enough, they did it.

Again, the pass happy NFL is a double-edged sword. Teams with above average QBs stand a bettet chance of winning without a running game. An average or worst QB definitely needs a running game. Otherwise, a good defense will pin its ears back and force mistakes and turnovers.

The Colts have a solid running game but they chose to hedge their bets on Rivers arm. Running the ball would have eaten up clock and worn down the defense. Oh well,, that terrible decision certainly cost Colts the game.

MY WFT lost for similar reason. Trusting a below average QB instead of running the ball cost them a win and a lock on the NFC East title. Ridiculous. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

MY WFT lost for similar reason. Trusting a below average QB instead of running the ball cost them a win and a lock on the NFC East title. Ridiculous. :cool:

Dwayne Haskins won't be wearing burgandy and gold next season. Busted TWICE for Covid violations then stripped of his captaincy, fined of course.

The silver lining in this dark cloud was the play of Taylor Heinicke at QB once Haskins got benched. Like many others, I would think, I went "Who?"

His is a feel good story. Not too many of those in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/taylor-heinicke-postpone-college-exams-odu-washington-dwayne-haskins

:nopity:

Buffalo looks scary to me . . . that QB I feel could be a star in the making.

Thank you for not saying his name and jinxing things. Bills fans have been burned so many times since Wide Right that we can"t really trust the accumulating evidence in front of our eyes that maybe, just maybe He Who Shall Not Be Named might be the guy to take us deep into the playoffs for the first time since the Korg CX-3 was state of the art.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Buffalo looks scary to me . . . that QB I feel could be a star in the making.

Thank you for not saying his name and jinxing things. Bills fans have been burned so many times since Wide Right that we can"t really trust the accumulating evidence in front of our eyes that maybe, just maybe He Who Shall Not Be Named might be the guy to take us deep into the playoffs for the first time since the Korg CX-3 was state of the art.

I just couldn't remember his name lol

Dwayne Haskins won't be wearing burgandy and gold next season.

Heck, he isn't even wearing it this afternoon. WFT released him. From captain to released in one week. One needs to f up pretty badly for that to happen.

I didn't think he was a good draft pick especially considering his limited body of work at Ohio State.

WFT didn't cut ties with Haskins soon enough as far as I was concerned but I'll take it today. Great move by coach Rivera.

Granted, WFT still has a QB deficiency. Josh Allen is on IR. Starting QB Smith is hobbling around and the backup QB Heinecke just put his backpack down. :laugh:

It will interesting to see who becomes the starting QB in 2021. I do not believe that person is currently on the roster nor will he be a rookie. They will draft a QB in the 3rd or 5th round.

In the meantime, I think WFT will try to deal for another veteran QB. My short list is Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Carson Wentz, Cam Newton or Nick Foles.

If you've got missteps on the field, or off it, but you're still taking care of one of the two, there's some leeway. If you're letting both slip, well...

That is a fact. A jerk who balls out of control on the field gets enough latitude to wrap the Earth twice.:laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

And Dwayne Haskins had, as an example, a teammate in Alex Smith who went through hell just to get back to the NFL. Smith may not have had Patrick Mahomes's talent (how many do?); but he was one of the better quarterbacks in the league before his injury, and he clearly has heart.

I really don't know what type of person Haskins is. Maybe he deserved this; maybe not. I hope he finds his way though.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

If you've got missteps on the field, or off it, but you're still taking care of one of the two, there's some leeway. If you're letting both slip, well...

That is a fact. A jerk who balls out of control on the field gets enough latitude to wrap the Earth twice.:laugh::cool:

QFT. See Rothlesberger, Ben

ProfD

Cross Carson Wentz, and Cam Newton off your list. Wentz CAP $$$ is way too high and Newton is not good enough,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

ProfD

Cross Carson Wentz, and Cam Newton off your list. Wentz CAP $$$ is way too high and Newton is not good enough,

Mike T.

Of course, you're right on both accounts. But, anything is possible when it comes to restructuring contracts. Really depends on if and how badly Philly wants to unload Wentz. :D

Newton is not good enough,

5 years ago he was all the rage. He's done as a starter, he the new RG III.

Cam Newton appears to be done especially based on his Pats play. But, I'm beginning to wonder if he's "tanking" for an opportunity to reunite with his old head coach. :laugh:

IMO, WFT has solid RBs and better WRs than NE. The o-line needs work. If Cam has anything left in his arm and he's healthy enough, I believe his physicality could work for the WFT. He's already familiar with our offensive scheme. His price wouldn't be too high to take a flyer. :cool:

PD

You might be better off looking for a high draft pick or a QB that did not get drafted in the up coming draft. Tom Brady was at the tail end of that year's draft and he's still playing. Getting recycled players is a crap shoot that costs a lot more money, Lets face it, getting a great franchise QB doesn't come along too often,

Mike T.

You might be better off looking for a high draft pick or a QB that did not get drafted in the up coming draft. Tom Brady was at the tail end of that year's draft and he's still playing. Getting recycled players is a crap shoot that costs a lot more money, Lets face it, getting a great franchise QB doesn't come along too often,

Mike T.

Therein is why I don't place too much weight in high draft picks or the NFL farm system.

A countless number of the best players have been lower draft picks or undrafted. It's really about the team scouting department finding those diamonds in the rough. Then, the coaching staff has to be capable of putting the team in the best position to win.

Before their impending decline, the New England Patriots only behind your Steelers were notoriously cheap. Both teams brought in players who fit their mold.

WFT is a young team rebuilding. It would be awesome if our scouting department was capable of finding the next Tom Brady in the draft. Considering they cannot seem to find offensive lineman capable of blocking and pass protection, I have zero confidence in them.

Instead, I think WFT will end up with another higher priced veteran QB with two (2) years of tread left on the tires. :laugh::cool:

PD

The Steelers paid select players a lot of money, and in some cases, lived to regret it. Example: Antonio Brown. The Steelers front office were warmed about Brown by other players that were in the locker room with him, they saw trouble. Brown resented the fact that Big Ben was the most important player on the team and started into temper tantrums on the side like and later, not showing up for practice. Mike Tomlin got tired of his big mouth on Social Media and when he didn't show up for practice, Tomlin told him not to dress, he was not going to play. That was the end of Brown. Then there was RB Belle, who wanted a LONG TERM Contract. The Steelers don't give RB long term deals, so Belle Walked. He took a year off playing and lost all that money. So the Jets sign him and ended up cutting him. Now Belle is with KC to spell their starting RB, on a one year deal. You probably know the deal that Brown got from NE, but ended up getting cut after ONE GAME because HOODY would not put up with his antics. Both of those players LOST MONEY when the did not take what the Steelers offered. Good Riddance.

This off season is going to be a challenge because the Steelers can't pay everyone what they want to be paid, and many key players are on their contract last year. In addition, we need young offensive linemen to replace our aging players. Drop back 10 and punt.

I hope you have a nice New Years D and I trust that you will spend some time with your folks.

I hope the Giants beat the Cowboys today, and that Washington loses.

This would result in the Giants winning the NL "Least" Division with a 6-10 record.

Even if Washington wins today, and thus wins the NL "Least" Division with a 7-9 record, this would still be an absurd result.

But the truly unfair part is that this would result in the 6-10 Giants hosting a home playoff game against a team with a MUCH better record.

This might cause the NFL to finally modify the absurd seeding rules which allow the "champion" of a really weak division to be seeded higher than a wild card team having a much better record. As if the disparity in records is not bad enough, that weak 6-10 record would have benefited by the Giants having played twice against the weak teams in their division. The champion of a weak division did not earn anything, in my opinion. There should be some minimum W-L record that a division champion should need to have, in order for them to derive a seeding advantage. Maybe that should be something like "over .500" - where 8-7-1 would be "over .500" and allow that team to derive a seeding advantage, but 8-8 (or worse) would not.

To make this truly "special", the Giants would win the division with a 6-10 record, and beat the Tom Brady-led Tampa Bay team next week, in what could be the final playoff game of Tom Brady's career.

But the truly unfair part is that this would result in the 6-10 Giants hosting a home playoff game against a team with a MUCH better record.

this also comes up in the baseball thread. In a typical year, there are wild card teams that have better records than other division winners.

Does anyone else here follow sports YouTuber FlemLo Raps? I think he's more thorough than a lot of sports journalists. Here's his take on Dwayne Haskins...

He definitely nailed it. :thu:

NL "Least" Division... There should be some minimum W-L record that a division champion should need to have, in order for them to derive a seeding advantage. Maybe that should be something like "over .500" - where 8-7-1 would be "over .500" and allow that team to derive a seeding advantage, but 8-8 (or worse) would not.

Agreed. I hope the NFL comes up with a better seeding system.

The NFC L(East) is a sorry collection of teams at this point. None of them deserves to be in a playoff game. I'm a WFT fan. :laugh::cool:

PD

Jalen Hurts looked pretty good for parts of the first 3 quarters, but not perfect. If you are the Eagles coaching staff, do you want him to be your starting QB next year? I think the answer is "maybe". I think the Eagles could have learned much more valuable information for their quarterback plans for the 2021 season if they had kept Jalen Hurts in the game, to see if he could have led them to victory in the 4th quarter against a mediocre but highly motivated opponent, than what they could learn by playing Sudfeld in the 4th quarter.

Let's forget about what the Giants wanted - that was not the Eagles' concern. I think the Eagles made a bad choice to play Sudfeld in the 4th quarter, from an Eagles perspective.

While I have sympathy for Giants fans, I can't get too worked up about which team with a losing record gets to go to the playoffs.

The bigger picture for me is that the NFC is sending two teams which are .500 or worse to the postseason, while the AFC has no team below 11-5 going forward. This disparity between the two conferences is a little disturbing. I hope it's a blip on the radar rather than a sign of the future.

Best,

Geoff

Now, it makes more sense:

Eagles End Up With the No. 6 Pick in the 2021 Draft

If they had won last night's game, they would have wound up with the ninth pick.

That's kind of a double-whammy for New York fans. First, the Jets refused to tank and lost the number one pick; and then, the Eagles (presumably) went after the number six pick, thereby insuring that the Giants wouldn't reach the playoffs.

Best,

Geoff

Regardless of whether it was to spoil another team's playoff hopes or an effort to move up in the draft, the last quarter of the WFT/Eagles game was bad for football fans.

In decades of watching football, I cannot recall a more weird game where a team purposefully did everything possible to lose. It would not have looked so obvious if QB Hurts stayed in the game and was given "bad plays" to run.

In addition to fixing playoff seeding for teams with losing records, the NFL needs to punish teams for making bad decisions that smell like tanking.:laugh::cool:

PD

It does occur to me, though, that if there's a coach in the NFL who might legitimately want to give a backup quarterback a chance, it would be Doug Pedersonâa former backup quarterback himself, who won the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback at the helm.

Nonetheless, I agree, ProfD, that the NFL should do more to prevent teams from tanking.

Best,

Geoff