Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig Performer 3 for $69

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty amazing program. I've just started using it as I've gone with a two computer Mac + Windows PC setup in my studio.

I've recently started using Logic on the Mac as my main DAW. The Windows PC runs GigPerfomer with all my old legacy plug-ins like my TC Powercore (Virus) and other older freeware and Windows only instruments that I hate to give up. I have 8 channels of ADAT I/O between the PC and Mac sync'd up. Works perfectly.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Good deal! Does that include use of both the Mac and PC versions?

Yes both PC and MAC up to 3 devices.

Just loaded it on my MAC.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Too good for the price, so I grabbed it.

Am I missing something with the rackspace design UI?

- No undo? I want to believe it's there, just mapped to something other than Ctrl+Z. But it looks like all widget moves are permanent.

- Can't group widgets, other than by selecting all of them each time.

- Can't lock widgets in place so they don't move. If I just want to click a widget and adjust its MIDI or VST parameter mapping, I shouldn't have to worry about accidentally moving it after I click it.

Again, I hope I've missed something, but this is one area where I wish GP could crib from Mainstage a bit more.

-John

I make software noises.

Too good for the price, so I grabbed it.

Am I missing something with the rackspace design UI?

- No undo? I want to believe it's there, just mapped to something other than Ctrl+Z. But it looks like all widget moves are permanent.

- Can't group widgets, other than by selecting all of them each time.

- Can't lock widgets in place so they don't move. If I just want to click a widget and adjust its MIDI or VST parameter mapping, I shouldn't have to worry about accidentally moving it after I click it.

Again, I hope I've missed something, but this is one area where I wish GP could crib from Mainstage a bit more.

-John

You need to spend some time going thru all the menu items. Also, get onto the Gig Performer site and go to the User Community. There's tons of good info and ideas

As far as your widgets, you need to menu dive for the group functions. You also want to make use of the alignment tools. I've never accidentally moved a widget when assigning parameters. Just as with Mainstage Layout mode, it takes a bit to get the finesse of adjusting the widgets.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Thanks EscapeRocks!

Yes, the alignment tools are well implemented and helpful.

Missed the line in the documentation with regard to widget groups allowing widgets to "move together". Got it :thu:

Re: widgets not locking into place, I'll revisit the behavior. If it's click to select, then click+drag to move, cool. If it's click to select and allow movement right away, then if I move my mouse at all before lifting the mouse button, the widget shifts. I can at least right-click to keep that from happening. I'm just twitchy.

As for no undo: "**** IT! WE'LL DO IT LIVE!" :laugh:

None of these things are hugely problematic. I just bumped into them on first use.

For what it needs to do, it does it well.

-John

I make software noises.

Any reason to get this if I already own MainStage? Any advantages?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I don't know if this comparison is fully up to date, but...

https://gigperformer.com/gig-performer-vs-mainstage-vs-cantabile.html

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That chart shows MainStage 3.3 with 60% CPU usage compared to 20% for Gig Performer (4 Instances of Omnisphere® on Comparable Systems). I wonder how that stat would look with the current version of MainStage running on Apple Silicon? At only $30 and with all the included instruments, for Mac-only users it's pretty compelling. And I still feel confident that an iPad version will be coming out this year...

In my real world MainStage consumes 4% of system resources. The rest is gobbled up by individual AU's. MainStages main value for me is the on screen grapbics available in perform mode. Gig Peformer does not come near MainStage in this respect. Graphic support requires resources. So no on screen info equals lower resource use. Doh. Gig Performers value proposition is we give you less for more $$. Only on KC could this be considered a good thing.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

In my real world MainStage consumes 4% of system resources. The rest is gobbled up by individual AU's. MainStages main value for me is the on screen grapbics available in perform mode. Gig Peformer does not come near MainStage in this respect. Graphic support requires resources. So no on screen info equals lower resource use. Doh. Gig Performers value proposition is we give you less for more $$. Only on KC could this be considered a good thing.

Gig Performer is a solid and very capable choice for those running Windows. I think if you're a Windows only person then no it is a no-brainer.

If you do have a Mac, I don't think there is any question MainStage offers incredible value for $29 especially with all of the included content. On the Mac side it may appear they have an uphill battle to justify the price in comparison strictly because of the content, but Gig Performer is very resource friendly and outrageously flexible - and its not just graphics because this can be heavily customized in Gig Perfomer too.

One thing that should NOT be overlooked in my opinion is the responsiveness of the developer. The Gig Performer developers are reading this thread and is engaged with their customers. They are very interested in user feedback and implementing things to make their platform better.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I wonder how that stat would look with the current version of MainStage running on Apple Silicon?

Well, since we've had an ARM Mac since July so we could port GP to Apple Silicon, I know the answer to that one. But if I told you now, I'd have to shoot you :-)

At only $30 and with all the included instruments, for Mac-only users it's pretty compelling

Rather than my presenting what others will consider to be biased arguments, may I encourage you to visit the gig performer community forums and ask our Mac users (of which there are many) why they're willing to spend $149 for Gig Performer with no included instruments when they can have MainStage for $30

Gig Performers value proposition is we give you less for more $$

Really? We really don't think our customers are stupid enough to be willing to spend more for less. I repeat my comment above -- ask our Mac users why they are willing to spend their money on Gig Performer.

Dr. David Jameson

Co-founder, Deskew Technologies,

Own The Stage®

https://gigperformer.com

. Gig Performers value proposition is we give you less for more $$. Only on KC could this be considered a good thing.

Wow, talk about a shitty attitude.

As someone who actively uses both platforms, I can tell you that GP does NOT give you less for more $$ I've had GP since it first arrived. Like anything it did go thru some basic teething issues. However, David and the other developers were/are always on top of it.

I've also been a very longtime user of Mainstage. They are both excellent platforms. It just depends what you need. One thing I really like about GP, is I can run VST2 and VST3 instruments right next to AU instruments on my Mac Mini. I have several one-off's that weren't offered in AU (even tho they're 64bit.)

Does Mainstage come with good sounds? Of course. It is a good solid workhorse. I don't want to get into al the minute details of why I like GP, because they are many, and get into some really deep diving.

Mainstage is easier, IMHO to quickly throw a basic concert together for a last minute gig.

GP takes a bit more to setup, but the graphical interface is fantastic. I actually enjoy not having "Layout Mode" I make use of Rig Manager in GP as my default.

When you take into account all the work the GP people do and have done, $149 is peanuts. Apple has the advantage of economy of scale.where costs can be shifted around.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Apple has the advantage of economy of scale.where costs can be shifted around.
I suspect Mainstage is $30 because it actually prompts people to buy Macs. Apple is still primarily in the hardware business, and I think their software exists largely to sell more hardware.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Gig Performers value proposition is we give you less for more $$.

A perspective on GP's advantages at the 6:15 point in the video here... [video:youtube]

[align:left][/align]

Well, since we've had an ARM Mac since July so we could port GP to Apple Silicon, I know the answer to that one. But if I told you now, I'd have to shoot you :-)

Well, since you won"t tell us, we"ll have to make logical inferences...

I have nothing against Gig Performer; having options is a sign of a healthy market and I"m glad it and Camelot Pro exist. If its price and features work for you, buy it. The primary advantage I see is cross-platform compatibility (which I have no use for), but the developer responsiveness may actually be more important.

I would give Gig Performer a try on iPad OS. On a Mac, Mainstage is a killer deal.

I was a MainStage user for many years but switched to Gig Performer a few years ago. With MainStage I never felt that I had a complete understanding of what was going on. This was unsettling for me. If I devoted more time I probably could have gained a complete understanding of MainStage but I had already devoted a lot of time with no end in sight; I much prefer spending my time playing music rather then fiddling with software. With GigPerformer, after a reasonable learning curve, I have a complete 100% understanding of what"s going on which is exactly what I need for piece of mind when performing live music. In the Connections View I can see graphically how everything is connected. It"s simple and intuitive.

Wow, Mac VI hosting "warz", who woulda thunk.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade here, just dropping in to note that Plogue Bidule is now ARM-native, in addition to Intel (both MacOS & Windows).

Bidule is not really in the same category of Mainstage or Gig Performer - it's more general-purpose and open-ended, not designed only for a keyboard player's live rig. I might happily be using Gig Performer or Mainstage if I hadn't gotten started with using a laptop on gigs a little over 14 years ago - there was no Gig Performer then, and iirc Mainstage was only available as part of the Logic package (I just tried without success to look up when it became a standalone product). At one point Logic was $999, then $499, so, not for me. Bidule was $75 (now I think it's $95). It's now in one of their demo periods â the standalone version will run fully unrestricted until the end of March. No quitting every ten minutes, inserting noise blips, etc.

I don't mean to evangelize for them, but when I see these threads I am often moved to note that there are more than the "big two" in VI hosting apps for folks' laptop gigging (well, two for Macs - there are more for Windows, I think). I'm pretty sure most musicians could configure any of these apps to do whatever they wanted, and I know GP has some much more advanced features like scripting that may make it easier than Bidule to do complex things. I've definitely spent more than a few hours writing "code" in Bidule to do some whacky moves involving automating parameters and switching patches. Perhaps this would have been easier in GP, but I'm too much of an old dog after 15 years with Bidule. Anyway, carry on - and I'm looking forward to the future with M1 versions of these apps letting us run our VIs at a 16-sample buffer (OK, I'll take 32)!

Actually, I have been a longtime user of MaxMSP (pretty much since Opcode Systems released it, remember that?) and at one point, before we decided to develop our own plugin host, but after struggling with, uh, other applications, I developed an entire "host" with Max 5. It supported 6 VST synths, two VST effects, arbitrary routing and by simply loading an abstraction that represented a song, the system would load the appropriate plugins, send initialization MIDI events to external hardware and so forth. I would have stayed with that environment (and Gig Performer would never have been developed) except that newer releases of Max were less stable than 5 and the platform became less reliable. However, to make it easier to "move" to the initial version of Gig Performer for real use, we included a deep OSC implementation so that GP could communicate with Max and vice versa. This allowed me to keep all the MIDI processing abstractions I had created in Max but enabled me to drive Gig Performer via OSC, thereby leveraging the best of both applications. While this became less necessary once we incorporated our own programming language into Gig Performer, it turns out that Ableton users still find it extremely convenient to run Ableton in conjunction with Gig Performer for similar benefits using Ableton Link for tempo sync.

not designed only for a keyboard player's live rig.

Just to clarify, the two main developers of GP, both touring musicians are a guitarist and keyboard player respectively, both also using various alternate controllers. Consequently, from the beginning, GP was designed to address the needs of many musician types, not just keyboard players.

GP is used by guitarists, bassists, vocalists, drummers as well as by FOH engineers. And with its OSC support along with GPScript, there's quite a bit of openendedness to it :-)

Dr. David Jameson

Own The Stage®

Quick Comment to the Deskew Tech:

Due to the positive comments here, and online videos, I decided to buy Gig Performer during the sale.

However, I was unable to complete the purchase (i.e., pay the moneys).

Why not? I could not get past the final "enter the Paypal/Visa info here".

I think the problem was due to a Facebook Container app on my Firefox Web Browser, which is designed to "contain" any tracking links to the Facebook Borg. (Side note - I don't use Facebook, and thus use things like this to block their evil Tracking - why should Facebook be allowed to track me if I don't use them or even have an account?).

Anyway, I do understand Facebook has become somewhat indispensable for smaller businesses. Just wanted to suggest that Web site developers should consider including alternate paths for payment, for those people that don't use Facebook.

Other disclaimers:

1. This might be a Plugin Alliance issue, and not Gig Performer at all.

2. It is my fault this was done at the last minute, not Plugin Alliance/Gig Performer. In typical me style, I didn't decide to pull the trigger until there was only about 15 min left in the sale window (in my defenses, I was out of town and only flew back that evening.

3. Irony - I only figured out that Facebook container was probably the culprit (I have many such blocking apps for Google, etc), because had to disable it in order to send in a problem/support ticket pointing out I was unable to complete the transaction.

not designed only for a keyboard player's live rig.

Just to clarify, the two main developers of GP, both touring musicians are a guitarist and keyboard player respectively, both also using various alternate controllers. Consequently, from the beginning, GP was designed to address the needs of many musician types, not just keyboard players.

GP is used by guitarists, bassists, vocalists, drummers as well as by FOH engineers. And with its OSC support along with GPScript, there's quite a bit of openendedness to it :-)

You're absolutely right. I had a feeling I might have oversimplified or even misstated things when I typed "only for a keyboard player's live rig." Obviously both GP and Bidule are appropriate for any use case that involves VIs and effects hosted in a computer, which includes everybody you mention. The fact that the GP devs are working musicians is a major plus to me. I wish GP was around when I first started down this road, it sounds like the kind of app I would really enjoy!

Apple has the advantage of economy of scale.where costs can be shifted around.
I suspect Mainstage is $30 because it actually prompts people to buy Macs. Apple is still primarily in the hardware business, and I think their software exists largely to sell more hardware.

I've been running Gig Performer on my Windows machines for a few years. I had used other VI hosts before. No comparison. GP was so intuitive that I was able to do things the way I wanted without reading the manual at all. When a Macbook Pro was given to me, the first thing that I did was buy another GP license for it. Yes, I shelled out $29 for MainStage just to have the sounds, but I didn't buy Logic as I didn't want to update my Macbook Pro once it dies on me. I agree that MS is a way of Apple to have people keep buying their hardware. As for me, I couldn't care less as I don't use MS but GP and all my plugins that I had been using in my Windows machines anyway.

Actually, I have been a longtime user of MaxMSP (pretty much since Opcode Systems released it, remember that?) and at one point, before we decided to develop our own plugin host, but after struggling with, uh, other applications, I developed an entire "host" with Max 5. It supported 6 VST synths, two VST effects, arbitrary routing and by simply loading an abstraction that represented a song, the system would load the appropriate plugins, send initialization MIDI events to external hardware and so forth. I would have stayed with that environment (and Gig Performer would never have been developed) except that newer releases of Max were less stable than 5 and the platform became less reliable. However, to make it easier to "move" to the initial version of Gig Performer for real use, we included a deep OSC implementation so that GP could communicate with Max and vice versa. This allowed me to keep all the MIDI processing abstractions I had created in Max but enabled me to drive Gig Performer via OSC, thereby leveraging the best of both applications. While this became less necessary once we incorporated our own programming language into Gig Performer, it turns out that Ableton users still find it extremely convenient to run Ableton in conjunction with Gig Performer for similar benefits using Ableton Link for tempo sync.

That reminds me...

While you're here (and seriously, thanks for being here) could you mention if or what impact MIDI 2.0 might have on Gig Performer? I'm curious to see what might start happening with MIDI 2.0; I expect some controllers to start coming out this year that actually implement the standard and see some interesting possibilities.

Tom

While you're here (and seriously, thanks for being here) could you mention if or what impact MIDI 2.0 might have on Gig Performer? I'm curious to see what might start happening with MIDI 2.0; I expect some controllers to start coming out this year that actually implement the standard and see some interesting possibilities.Tom

There's a good overview at [sound On Sound](https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/introducing-midi-20) that is probably worth checking out. The ability to interrogate hardware to find its capabilities is kinda interesting --- hosts will be able to discover how to adjust the filter cutoff frequency (say) of a synth without your first having to read the synth's MIDI implementation. For me, the more interesting improvement is MIDI messages carrying more information, i.e. more bits (therefore more fine resolution) for velocity, controllers and so on. That will make for much more expressiveness which, until now, have needed to use OSC to get similar resolutions and speeds.

Dr. David Jameson

Own The Stage®

Yes, I've seen that and I've been following MIDI 2.0 for a while. I was wondering if, as a software developer that has embraced OSC, you had any plans or ideas regarding implementing 2.0 in Gig Performer. Is it more limited compared to OSC? Does it have pros and cons vs. other protocols? Does it figure in your product development plans or is fairly irrelevant?

As I mainly use my own samples in Sforzando and some simple synth sound that could be replicated with cheap/free synths, the move from Mainstage to DP was always tempting. I could work with Mainstage, but the working was sometimes unclear and I had some strange issues with the Leslie speed that sometimes swapped. never found that problem.

Because I used 2 midiboards and wanted seperate control of the two boards (One mainly piano's + some layers, other for the rest) I used instruments at concert level in mainstage that I could enable and disable for the piano board. normal programs for the other boards.

This worked and this what I had 2 almost seperate boards with sounds from Mainstage.

With DP I cannot do this and needed to start DP twice and select different settings for each.

As is tend to save with increasing version numbers, this could be tricky.

Mainstage always starts with the latest concert.

Bidule is also great. I had almost evrything the way I wanted, including backingtracks. The issue is the spread over multiple cores (had clicks) was not good and I only could use one core and got restrictions on the CPU load.

Love Bidule as everything is fully under control.

Now moved again to a full hardware rig (Nord Stage 3 + Nord Wave 2) but I keep changing every few years....

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/