Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Goals 2021

For me there's definitely a shift from "What piece of gear will check all the boxes for the requirements of gig" to "What piece of gear will give me the most enjoyment / inspire me / expand my musical universe." (I'll admit it -- watching those much-discussed Neon Vines videos has me GASsing for a Seaboard and a groovebox or two.)

- Jimbo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I had a lot of downtime last year, I did a lot of work at the studio to improve sonics and workflow. I feel incredibly lucky to have this space, and was able to maintain it through last year.

We finished the restoration of our 1900"s Knabe grand, new bushings and hammers, fixing a lot of small issues, it plays and sounds wonderful now. Next step is to finally finish restoring the Hammond BV and Leslie 44 combo, it"s actually very close, but Covid concerns have kept my Hammond tech away since March. Also, I"ll be ordering a 2-speed conversion for the Leslie 740 I posted about recently.

As far as new gear, I"ve got $$ budgeted for the Behringer 2600 when it finally becomes available. I played a 2600 at the electronic music studio at my college, and it"s really the only synth I"ve wanted that I haven"t actually owned. If I find a great deal on an analog poly synth, I might go for it also.

Also, I have a few hp of Eurorack space open in my rack, might as well fill that, :-)

I"d like to get a better signal path for getting my synths modular s into the recording system, thinking a couple of Ashley line mixers to replace my old and noisy Roland.

If a reasonably-priced Clavinet or Yamaha YC 45 combo organ were to appear on my radar, I would probably be tempted, but otherwise, I"m pretty happy with my keyboard world right now. Just need to write and record more music!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

blablabla

I got a rack mount Furman power conditioner last year, I forget the model but it was a return so I paid just a bit over half price for it. 8 plugs in back and one in front (handy). More watts than everything in my home could use.

Once I hooked it up I wondered why I hadn't gotten one sooner. "Mystery noise" virtually vanished and has not come back. Others on MPN have mentioned that their Furmans are going strong after 15-20 years of use. It is a "buy nice or by twice" sort of device, I'll never be without one again.

What do you want your large diaphragm condenser mic to do for you? And, what is your price range? Yes, there are LOTS of choices. Some of the cheap ones stink and some are pretty OK. Many of the best ones are stupid money, I'd have to win the lottery and then you might as well get a matched pair and gold plated to boot.

Yup, it's the basic Furman on order. I've already got a few of their power bars which do nice work, but this will be a step up. And all the rack space underneath will be calling for companionship! :laugh:

For mics, I've definitely got my eye on the Warm Audio offerings, perhaps the 87 or the new 67. Perhaps an Avantone CV12. Maybe something from Mojave. There are some other mics I would consider, like the Aston Spirit or a 414 which I can borrow fairly easily from good friends, so they're not being considered like they would be. I like to bargain shop but I also like making sure that I'm not skimping where it counts, and this will be my workhorse mic likely for a while. Vocals, perc, AP, amps, all of it. Since a bunch of these purchases will be spread out over a while, I don't really have a strict budget, but the more I spend on one thing, the less I'll have to spend on all the other things. Likely won't go over $1,200-1,300 CDN.

The Roswell mics are worthy of consideration and the Mic-Parts mics as well if you are handy with a soldering iron. I haven't tried any of them but the reviews and demos are encouraging.

If your room is quiet a Shure KSM44 is an excellent mic - it will pick up EVERYTHING so I couldn't get best results in my condo with it.

The new Austrian Audio mic that allows you to record both diaphragms independently and create your own pickup pattern or use a single mic for stereo looks pretty awesome too. The company was founded by AKG employees who lost their jobs with the move to manufacture in China.

I suspect in the $750 and up price range it's hard to go wrong.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yeah, band gigs may not be happening, at least until summer or even fall. Got an audio interface, learning to use it and record over backing tracks. Maybe do videos as I get better at the tech part of it. When enough checks come in, might get a Roland Aerophone Pro AE-30 digital wind synth. Price is still too high though at $1500.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've been jonesing for the new Kawai ES920. One heck of a piano-oriented board. But at $1,500- 2000 (once I've gotten the case, 3-pedal pedal, etc), that might be a good long while.

Have been considering selling my Korg Pa1000, which goes for $2,200 new, to pay for the ES920. These days I mostly play piano on my Kawai ES-110, and sometimes it really feels like a big distraction having SOOO much technology to tame/learn/play with on the Pa1000. It makes some sense to sell it, but everything about the board (except the action) is fantastic, and it was a big deal to save up for it, so a bit reluctant. It adds a considerable sound pallette and many fun practice opportunities, playing along with / learning from the auto-accompaniment.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I'm going to spring for a license for the macprovideo.com library. They have a special that's $72 until 1/7 that's hard to pass up. I'm also going to pickup 1, possibly 2 Kenton MIDI to CV converters for my Moogs. After that, I'm about 95% sure I'm going to have to have the Behringer 2600. I think I can foresee a lot of "Stranger Things" inspired tracks coming out of my studio in 2021, LOL.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Just did a rash of software purchases (Kontakt 6, V Collection 7, small handful of plugins), upgraded my music iMac, new Presonus Eris 5 monitors and a Keylab mkII 61. I'm going to focus on making music for now.

Going to upgrade my studio chair, as I've been using a Gibralter motorcycle style throne, but need something more ergonomic.

We plan to sell the house in a few months and move to something lower maintenance. I'll see what the new studio space needs at that time.

....and a 45 degree back extension.

Not to be a nanny-stater, but I have to comment on this. Do your spine a favor and substitute an exercise ball in place of the back extension.

A less acute pressure point, and a more uniform extension and expansion of the spine in multiple directions.

Plus there are many more things it can be used for. Research it a bit before you dismiss the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/exercise-ball-stability-ball/b?ie=UTF8&node=3407921

About gear goals though.

I'm pretty well set. But if Kurzweil comes out with a PC461, I'll probably move some stuff out to move that in.

No gear goals (buying new stuff) for me specifically. I'd like to finish my new computer transition, getting all software and plug-ins installed and old projects working. The goal is simply to finish writing some music, maybe release an album this year.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

....I've owned a swiss/stability ball for at least 20 years and have probably executed every known exercise on it known to man....well there are a few that are super-advanced and beyond my skill set. ;)

I've also been doing back extensions on both a 45 degree and flat/ zero degrees hyper-extension/roman chair/ glute ham raise for probably close to 30 years. The number of reps by now I would guess would reach into the tens of thousands over all those years.....

My bad - I forgot the obligatory 'YMMV'. Carry on gents.

- Arturia V-Collection 8 update

- Some sort of general purpose vocal/recording microphone â Shure SM7 or Earthworks Icon or Audio-Technica something

- ASM Hydrasynth

- Prophet Rev 2 (maybe?)

- improved lighting for YouTube videos & Zoom teaching

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

- Arturia V-Collection 8 update

- Some sort of general purpose vocal/recording microphone â Shure SM7 or Earthworks Icon or Audio-Technica something

- ASM Hydrasynth

- Prophet Rev 2 (maybe?)

- improved lighting for YouTube videos & Zoom teaching

If you get a dynamic mic, get a Cloudlifter too, it transforms the mic. Other great all rounders that I own and use include Shure KSM8, Heil PR40 and Sennheiser MD421.

Sweetwater still has the Neat Worker Bee mic for $89. There is not a better sounding $89 mic. I have a pair of them and they are great on acoustic guitar but you could use them on anything.

The Neat King Bee is a great mic but not cheap anymore. I got one for $100 but now they fetch over $300, even used.

Can't go wrong with a Shure SM27 (used to be the KSM27). That's a great all rounder too.

Edited to add - I haven't used any of the Roswell mics but other MPNers have. They have some affordable mics that get great reviews across the board. I want the Colares but gonna have to save for a bit for that one.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1. A DP to replace the RD-700GX I sold a year and a half ago (I've been playing on my 'gigging' PX-5S, but it doesn't really do it for me action-wise for home practice).

2. A synth to dive into (probably Hydrasynth . . . though part of me says 'splurge and get Hydrasynth and a Pro 3!!).

3. Build a desk I can tuck my keyboard underneath. I work from home (for at least another 6 months I'm sure) and do music all from the same piano bench in the same tiny room at an old table-turned-desk. Playing keys means either moving away from the computer (fine if I'm just practicing, but not if I'm working on a computer-based project/recording), or rotating the board and stand 90 degrees, effectively blocking me from getting up and leaving the room. Having to move things, and crawl over/around them for basic access really puts a damper on fun and productivity. This is also why probably the Hydrasynth + Pro 3 aren't going to happen; there just isn't physical room.

3. Build a desk I can tuck my keyboard underneath.

This is an often-overlooked goal, but for me finally getting it together has been a (dare I say it) game-changer. This is my office setup. The sliding desk is from World Market. When I'm just using my laptop I pull the tray out. When I want keys I just push the tray in and they're there instantly. The board is hooked to a USB hub that's connected to the laptop any time the laptop is on the desk. The board is supported at either end by two plastic drawer units that just happened to be the perfect height, but that's really the easiest part of the equation. I've tried several iterations of this idea, but for me this is the one that works.

1706.thumb.jpg.0095f2348087e7b1b260071b0c486ba9.jpg

Actually, the thing I need most is time & peace and quiet. I'm up to my butt in alligators and having my family underfoot 24/7 has really put a dent in my music and writing time. I would have wished for more time even before the lock down, but I haven't had time without interruptions since last winter and that's a real bummer.

We're all well (as far as I know...my wife went out for groceries this morning and I'm hoping she didn't bring back germs), so I guess that's the most important thing. Just wish these bloody germs would go away.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Actually, the thing I need most is time & peace and quiet. I'm up to my butt in alligators and having my family underfoot 24/7 has really put a dent in my music and writing time. I would have wished for more time even before the lock down, but I haven't had time without interruptions since last winter and that's a real bummer...

I found that was happening to me when our kids were very young (they're grown and out of the house now). I started forcing myself to get up an hour or more before anyone else everyday. Still do it some 30 years later. If you can't find time, make time!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I'm going to do some solo piano gigging at restaurants instead of band gigs. I plan to pick up a dedicated/portable DP and I have my eye on the Kawai ES520. The Fantom 8 is too heavy to transport and the Stage 3 Compact is the wrong action for a dedicated piano gig.

Software wise I want to update Komplete Ultimate to v13 and Arturia V Collection to v8 when they go on sale.

I will sell my AX Edge Keytar as well. It's fun to have but not really as useful for the other things I am spending my time on.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

After many years of GAS, I find myself in a period of comfortable respite. I'm very happy with my gear (a pair of Nords), amplification, stands, mixer, etc. Our band is playing outdoors twice a month here in Florida, so I consider myself quite lucky in that regard.

That being said, I follow many of the bright shiny objects mentioned here. I *may* indulge in a studio synth at some point this year just to have a new toy to explore, but that's about it.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm in a pretty comfortable place with gear and I probably need to thin out a few things. Particularly with live gigs dwindling to just outdoors in warm months. I may have some things up for sale on the forum in the coming weeks or months.

One thing I've never done well is hooking up to a computer. I started a separate thread on this here that inspired me to order a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 that arrived last week. I have not had a chance to work with it yet and probably will need to get all the Christmas decorations settled before I dive into this.

I've also had a few inclinations to get back to a simpler rig, like just a digital piano and clonewheel.

My goal is to sell some Leslie's.

Don't you always sell Leslies? Let me know if you have any 145 or 142 that could make their way to Virginia. I have my 122 in my music room, though I often crave a short Leslie for gigs. Maybe.

My gear goal is to stop having gear goals. In our new house we'll finally have room for a real piano again. I'm going to carve out an exclusion by saying a real piano is not "gear."

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My gear goal is to stop having gear goals. In our new house we'll finally have room for a real piano again. I'm going to carve out an exclusion by saying a real piano is not "gear."

No, it's "fab." :laugh:

Here for the gear.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been jonesing for the new Kawai ES920. One heck of a piano-oriented board. But at $1,500- 2000 (once I've gotten the case, 3-pedal pedal, etc), that might be a good long while.

Have been considering selling my Korg Pa1000, which goes for $2,200 new, to pay for the ES920. These days I mostly play piano on my Kawai ES-110, and sometimes it really feels like a big distraction having SOOO much technology to tame/learn/play with on the Pa1000. It makes some sense to sell it, but everything about the board (except the action) is fantastic, and it was a big deal to save up for it, so a bit reluctant. It adds a considerable sound pallette and many fun practice opportunities, playing along with / learning from the auto-accompaniment.

Quoting myself cause I was able to buy the Kawai ES920! Absolutely love it, it's pure piano playing pleasure. And unlike the ES110, it's mostly easy and straightforward to set up registrations, make recordings, and it even has auto-accompaniment to some degree. I've decided I am selling my Pa1000, want to focus on playing piano!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Waiting for my Osmose.

Trying not to buy too much guitar stuff.

dB

I'm in the same boat. No, I don't need that Fender Am. Pro II Jazzmaster in Miami Blue... no, don't need it at all...

Might by some more patch cables for my Matriarch. Some of the Moog patchbooks for it have patches that call for so many cables that I've started stealing some cables from my MS-20 Mini.