Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Based on the demo, I'd still prefer HX3 with Vent to HX3 with their newest rotary effect.

I didn´t reply on what´s "part of this demo".

fwiw I prefer the Leslie and overdrive in the HX3 over the Vent II.

I am not questioning what either of you have personally experienced, and would not dispute your subective preferences of what you like better... I'm just saying that, based on the demo, to my ears, personally, I haven't yet heard the HX3's rotary out-performig the Vent. It is very good, though. My HX3 is an old one, and since I already own a Vent, I'd need to hear something so good that it makes me want to spend the $ to upgrade, and I haven't heard it yet.

Also, a lot of what the Vent provides is a tube-ish overdrive, ahich is not part of this demo, so I don't know how well HX3 compares to Vent in that respect.

You can get "tube-ish" overdrive from HX3 still.

IMO, HX3 does that better than any other clone.

Mojo, Legend, Numa ... all (more or less) good for jazz,- but HX3 nails for rock even w/o the Vent.

I'm glad to hear it's good a good tube-ish overdrive. At some point, maybe I'll ge to hear some demos of that. My perspective is only rock, no jazz. I did not like the Legend overdrive. Numa is above average there, though not as good as the Vent (and with the original Numa being better than the 2). The rotary effect itself of the Numa Organ 2 is probably my favorite, even over the Vent except for the overdrive. I didn't like the one on the original Numa Organ too much... it wasn't bad by any means, but not great. I know a lot of people really liked that one, though. Maybe that's an example of something that appealed more to jazzers, I don't know.

I was looking for that package in a one drawbar set. He made a unit with one set of drawbars but missed adding the HX3 engine. So the options were a drawbar package with one set of drawbars without the engine or two sets of drawbars with the engine, but no option that was one set of drawbars with the engine like the Mojo Desktop or Viscount EXP.

The magic of velcro...

IMG-0495.jpg

IMG-0496.jpg

IMG-0497.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

IMG-0495.jpg

This is exactly the combo I´d want,- w/ HX3.5 engine of course !

And yes, KBP doesn´t offer enough audio- / video demos of updates/upgrades.

But when you have the "old" HX3 expander (mk 3 or mk4),- HX3.5 leslie sim is at least improved vs the "old" one.

It has to do w/ DSP power.

They came to the limits of the "old" FPGA.

A.C.

thank you !

I´m not sure if this discontinued item works w/ the new HX3.5 expander.

When I asked why it is discontinued, I understood it was discontinued because it doesn´t match perfect.

Possibly some firmware issue or such.

At that time, KBPChristian announced a new one "leaving nothing to be desired" in about 4 weeks,- but it never came.

They possibly rely on the WiFI OSC Control and/or M-Audio label set now and it can be that´s what they think IS the new controller "leaving nothing to be desired".

I posted because I don´t think it is.

I prefer the mechanical haptics.

A.C.

A.C.

It does. I bought both units exactly 2 years ago.

Unfortunately the buttons of my DBc are sticking. But that may be because I loaned it out for a few weeks to a gospel organist to use with his Nord C1, after I got a Hammond XK to use as a controller..fervor being hard on gear lol.

thank you !

When I asked why it is discontinued, I understood it was discontinued because it doesn´t match perfect.

Possibly some firmware issue or such.

At that time, KBPChristian announced a new one "leaving nothing to be desired" in about 4 weeks,- but it never came.

They possibly rely on the WiFI OSC Control and/or M-Audio label set now and it can be that´s what they think IS the new controller "leaving nothing to be desired".

I posted because I don´t think it is.

I prefer the mechanical haptics.

A.C.

As the one on reverb was $379 you might be better off with the Crumar D9X which is less expensive but can be completely programmed to meet your needs with its open-sourced code.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

very well done video, Marco. You should post it in the shameless plugs section, and/or at least in the "Lets Hear It. Post Your Music Here" threads. It will get much more traction than only being in the HX3 thread.

very well done video, Marco. You should post it in the shameless plugs section, and/or at least in the "Lets Hear It. Post Your Music Here" threads. It will get much more traction than only being in the HX3 thread.

+ 1 !

A.C.

thank you guys!

it was done almost a year ago, live recording in studio, with sax and second voice overdub...

no editing, just one take, just for our fun :laugh:

this year it was not possible for us to make new recordings for XMas, so I had a couple of videos left from that session...

I'll post on the other thread too, it was just to let you hear that with a real tube leslie the HX3 sounds really GREAT (not a common fact for all digital clonewheels...)

take care!

Marco

As the one on reverb was $379 you might be better off with the Crumar D9X which is less expensive but can be completely programmed to meet your needs with its open-sourced code.

You mean the D9UX ?

Music Store

I´m a bit irritated because on GM.LAB site,- I see D9U and D9X,- but no pics from rear w/ connectors.

The mini-TS (or TRS ?) jack for MIDI is a bad compromise IMO.

I´d prefer 5-pin DIN.

But yeah, I had that mysterious "D9UX" in mind w/ VB3-2 and USB,- but never considered it to be an option for HX3,- up to now.

thx

:)

A.C.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

HX3 mk4 has been discontinued, updates and new features are only available for HX35.

The basic B3 sound is essentially the same, while Rotary sim and C/V are significantly improved. There are more parameters to adjust, including a parametric EQ, but menu navigation has become simpler and more logical. 100 overall presets can be stored.

HX35 only options: With Extended License more organ models like H100, Wersi and Boehm. With WiFi module wireless operation and synchronous display of all settings via TouchOSC on tablet.

More details:

Mainboard User Manual

Mainboard Installation Manual

HX35 Editor Manual

Greetings from Germany

Christian

So,- we won´t see any new hardware remote drawbar controller unit for the HX3 expander anymore ?

I don't think so. Demand was very low in the end. HX3 Drawbar Expander is just the better choice for connecting to a keyboard with no drawbars. Also, there are the virtual controls via OSC on tablets.

Unfortunately the buttons of my DBc are sticking. But that may be because I loaned it out for a few weeks to a gospel organist to use with his Nord C1, after I got a Hammond XK to use as a controller..fervor being hard on gear lol.

You could try to move the lid a little so that the switches come free. To do this, loosen the Phillips screws in the base that hold the lid.

You can get "tube-ish" overdrive from HX3 still.

IMO, HX3 does that better than any other clone.

Mojo, Legend, Numa ... all (more or less) good for jazz,- but HX3 nails for rock even w/o the Vent.

I'm glad to hear it's good a good tube-ish overdrive. At some point, maybe I'll ge to hear some demos of that. My perspective is only rock, no jazz.

Here are some HX3 overdrive demos:

Lutz playing Oh Happy Day (soft overdrive)

Contribution to the clonewheel shootout you started

Christian

Thanks for the reminder. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So,- we won´t see any new hardware remote drawbar controller unit for the HX3 expander anymore ?

I don't think so. Demand was very low in the end. HX3 Drawbar Expander is just the better choice for connecting to a keyboard with no drawbars. Also, there are the virtual controls via OSC on tablets.

That´s sad !

No,- neither the "HX3 Drawbar Expander" nor "virtual controls" are better,- at least for me.

I want a rack mountable expander w/ a "physical drawbars" remote controller, small enough, to use in a keybd rig,- or a real organ instrument offering haptics similar to Crumar Mojo Classic.

I really regret KBP discontinued the HX3 drawbar controller unit.

A.C.

You could try to move the lid a little so that the switches come free. To do this, loosen the Phillips screws in the base that hold the lid.

Thanks, I had a minute to work with it and was able to free the 3 switches that were stuck. :) Still have a little more adjusting to do.

This thread has me firing up the RT3....does it sound this good?

Now I understand the $130 TPO8 keybeds I saw available on ebay the other day. What a gorgeous rig one could build.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Thanks, I had a minute to work with it and was able to free the 3 switches that were stuck. :) Still have a little more adjusting to do.

I don't know what type of material the lid is made from but from looking at the picture of one it would appear that if the lid material is 'sandable' you could open up the button slots of the lid with sand paper.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Not so easy. The lid is made of 1 mm steel, laser-cut and powder-coated. The slots are large enough for the buttons, but the lid may be a little out of place. Perhaps the unit was dropped at some point. It should be possible to align the lid.

I was impressed by the DBc's build quaility. At first I was less impressed by the apparent flimsiness of the plexi HX3 but Tom of Diversi explained the reasoning behind it (light weight as possible for velcro'ing) and it has proven to be a durable piece of gear so far.

• 3 months later...