Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

... a very happy and healthy Tog Fun Khinezhish Esenvarg (Chinese Food Day)!

(? ××× ××××× ×ס×× ×)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely an unusual Christmas season. Frankly, I like not having Christmas shoved down my throat (buy! eat! buy! consume! shop!), but I feel bad for the families with aging parents or grandparents who might get sick if they celebrate with their family, but are also aware that this might be the last year they'll be on this planet. People who look forward to congregating at their church will have to make a difficult decision if the church is open for services, and miss the experience it not. And at the moment, AT&T is having problems that won't let me call or text anyone...I don't want to take a walk, because the wind chill is 12 degrees, and I don't really have clothing that can handle it.

So that's the bad news. The good news is that I'm alive, healthy, there's no power outage, I have some great guitars, a book project, and a studio that's beginning for some exercise. There's great music to listen to, an adorable companion who loves to make exquisite food...and a forum with good people, where we can all get a vacation from that "other" social media.

I don't think 2021 will flip a switch and everything will suddenly go back to normal, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with having a feeling of steady improvement as we climb our way out of this hole. The world has been through a sort of virtual war together, and hopefully, we'll have learned some lessons in the process that will ultimately benefit all.

Happy holidays everyone, whether it's Merry Christmas, Kwanzaa, the Hannukah that ended already, Festivus, the Feast of Saturnalia, or for that matter, December 25th. Every day can be Christmas or its equivalent, if you want it.

:yeahthat: I'm very glad I got to meet all three of you at NAMM 2020. Whenever people label 2020 as a bad year, NAMM 2020 comes to my mind as I think to myself, "it wasn't all bad, for me at least."

Best wishes to all. I guess by now Craig you know why you're having issues with AT&T. Sad stuff.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Let's all meet at NAMM this year. There must be a bar open (to Zoom).

I keep putting it off, but before the end of the year, I'll post some info on registering (this year anyone can attend [virtually]), programs, and schedule. Unless someone beats me to it.

Let's all meet at NAMM this year. There must be a bar open (to Zoom).

I keep putting it off, but before the end of the year, I'll post some info on registering (this year anyone can attend [virtually]), programs, and schedule. Unless someone beats me to it.

Actually, I was considering doing just that, having a KC/MPN Virtual NAMM 2021 Hang that week.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I keep hearing that the "virtual NAMM" show was open to everyone, but there is no application/info except for members on their page.

It will be interesting to see how they manage. They *should* have some sort of online front end with "halls", a clickable "floor map" to enter online chat demos, where a manufacturer just has the demo guy on camera all day like at the show...but I suppose it won't be like that.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

They're making a point of not calling it The NAMM Show this year. It's Believe in Music Week. I was going to post something about it this year but I guess it'll have to wait until next year. It's only a couple of hours away now anyway.

The button for registration is Right HERE

Looks like they have a schedule of presentations up on the web site now - some interesting stuff under Audio Production. I did hear something about interactive parts of the "Marketplace." It says "Powered by AI" so who know what that means? Craig seems to know more about some of the goings-on from his contacts with some of the exhibitors. Maybe he'll give us some hints, or maybe not.

Anyone who wants to buy me lunch - Door Dash delivers to Falls Church. I wonder if they deliver margaritas, or a good beer.

Door Dash delivers to Falls Church.
Mike, if I had known, I would have stopped by on my way back from Christmas in Richmond.

Regarding AI (capital i, not lowercase L), the phrase has become as meaningless as "speaker wattage" and even "megabyte" due to creative / dishonest marketing.

I remember when we all agreed on amplifier power being RMS into 8 ohms. Megabyte meant 1,048,576. And AI meant "tasks that, at the moment, people do better than computers."

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'm so done with AI. AS (Artificial Stupidity) is all the rage these days. :)

The Washington Post's What In and What's Out list published on January 1 should have included:

Out

-----------------------------------

Artificial Intelligence

And just for good measure:

MIDI

The NAMM Show

In

------------------------------------

Artificial Stupidity

MIDI 2.0

Believe in Music Week

The button for registration is Right HERE

Strange, the day I made my post the link on their homepage took me to a NAMM member log in - I couldn't find any other reference to "Believe in Music" or anything "2021 NAMM show" oriented.

I did hear something about interactive parts of the "Marketplace." It says "Powered by AI"

"Market place"? I hope they're not going to try to subvert Reverb/EBay/etc.?

Lot of people/organizations/businesses are taking "this time" as an opportunity to make some overtly bold and daring moves. I'm not sure if now is the time to be trying that.

Anyone who wants to buy me lunch - Door Dash delivers to Falls Church. I wonder if they deliver margaritas, or a good beer.

I've used Door Dash in Falls Church - lots of great ethnic food choices there, Eden Center across from the Guitar Center and the H-Mart counter...

I can guarantee NAMM wouldn't step on the toes of the people they represent. The Marketplace thing looks more like a place to connect buyers and sellers..."I make this cool little guitar tuner that fits in a cable...anyone interested?" and then a company like Planet Waves could say "tell me more." NAMM describes it as a "matchmaking" service. It's probably nothing more than trying to replicate what happens at physical NAMM in a virtual environment...retailers are always sniffing around looking for new products to carry.

I don't think this is going to last beyond the week. As far as I can tell, it's their re-branding of the trade show part of the NAMM show. I expect something like when you click on, say, the Universal Audio button, you get a video of their latest products. There was also a hint that some "exhibitors" will have a live person on the link so you can ask questions or discuss their product further. That would be kind of cool, but, somehow, I expect that without the show vibe, I probably won't have much to talk about. And while after more than 30 years of attending the show I know has decent coffee at their booth and who has a wine happy hour. That's something I'll miss - there's always a nice group of engineering folks gathering around the Millenia Media group to sample John's wine.

There are a lot of potentially interesting technical presentations on the schedule. I found myself zoning out when trying to watch a few at the virtual AES show this year. Maybe NAMM will do better, but I think I'm the problem. I want to get away from my computer and deal with live people, but that's not going to happen this time around.

Lot of people/organizations/businesses are taking "this time" as an opportunity to make some overtly bold and daring moves. I'm not sure if now is the time to be trying that.

This is going to be a trial by fire. Nobody's done it before, and it's a big show to cover.

I've used Door Dash in Falls Church - lots of great ethnic food choices there, Eden Center across from the Guitar Center and the H-Mart counter...

My home is just over the hill from there. I walk to Eden Center for lunch several times a month. Next time you're in the area, give me a shout.

What's important to remember is that NAMM puts on trade shows. This is not a trade show. They're trying to do something different that's more public-facing than anything they've done in the past. The various sessions will stay up for a while, although if you want to do real time comments, you need to check the schedule as to when something is actually streaming live.

The MIDI Association is using this opportunity to do four sessions about various aspects of MIDI 2.0, and give a showcase to smaller MIDI-oriented companies so they can show what they do - Roland, Korg, Yamaha, et al can take care of themselves, right? :)

So I gotta hand it to NAMM, this is a major pivot. They are taking a risk in terms of investment into a platform, and justifying what they're doing to their membership. I really hope they pull it off. They are trying very hard to do "the right thing," against difficult odds. But the reality is they couldn't put on a show, and they couldn't do nothing, so they're doing what they can to raise the profile of music and music-making in general. I wish them well.

What's important to remember is that NAMM puts on trade shows. This is not a trade show. They're trying to do something different that's more public-facing than anything they've done in the past. The various sessions will stay up for a while, although if you want to do real time comments, you need to check the schedule as to when something is actually streaming live.

I've been going to NAMM shows for long enough so that I can separate my reasons for going from those directly connected with the music industry from going. Business-to-business is an important part, probably the most important part of the show. We tire kickers and most media know where the back of the bus is.

But the bottom line this time around is that they have to do something different.

I know that NAMM has been working, and fairly successfully, I think, toward providing activities and education for the end users who manage to "get a badge," and there's fallout there for the industry. The salesman at Ukulele Corner who sells sound equipment in the store can attend brief, but usually well presented sessions on things like loudspeaker directivity, so he can better advise his customers. And the bass player in the band who sets up their sound system at gigs can benefit from that same session. And the creative musicians and engineers, as well as salesmen and product developers who work with MIDI will have an opportunity to learn about new applications that depend on the new additions to the specification.

So I gotta hand it to NAMM, this is a major pivot. They are taking a risk in terms of investment into a platform, and justifying what they're doing to their membership. I really hope they pull it off.

AAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH! I hate the word "pivot" in this context! But yeah, this is something really different from what has been the core of the show for, what, 75 years or so? But this is a big step as an "investment," and what I'm hoping is that they'll have success with some aspects of this year's additions to the show, and not consider them substitutions for future shows.

I don't attend the NAMM show to play guitars. I look for new products and technologies that I can write about. What I'm anticipating - and this is strictly ME - is that without the energizing of a busy show floor and live people to talk to, I'll rapidly lose interest in watching presentations on my computer screen. But on the other hand, I can see this year's show as being a real opportunity for those who are accustomed to learning on line, and I know that there are a whole lot of folks like that. Most, probably all, are younger than I am.

Honestly, for the past few shows, I've been wondering if I'm getting too old or jaded for this, though I still manage to crank out a show report in text and pictures - no videos - that's different from the usual on-line and in-print reports. I'll have to figure out a different way of gathering information this time around.

AAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH! I hate the word "pivot" in this context!

I don't like it either, but it has become an identifiable part of the lexicon that applies particularly to this context, so...

But this is a big step as an "investment," and what I'm hoping is that they'll have success with some aspects of this year's additions to the show, and not consider them substitutions for future shows.

I'm pretty sure that's the direction - not remove things, add things.

What I'm anticipating - and this is strictly ME - is that without the energizing of a busy show floor and live people to talk to, I'll rapidly lose interest in watching presentations on my computer screen. But on the other hand, I can see this year's show as being a real opportunity for those who are accustomed to learning on line, and I know that there are a whole lot of folks like that. Most, probably all, are younger than I am.

You probably already know most of what's being presented anyway :) You're very good at the social aspect, but that aspect won't be present. So I can see where this type of event doesn't hold a lot of appeal for you.

Honestly, for the past few shows, I've been wondering if I'm getting too old or jaded for this...

During the last show, I was still dealing with the aftereffects from what, in retrospect, appears increasingly like it was covid-related. I felt like it might be my last Winter NAMM, because it was just too overwhelming - I'd NEVER had that feeling before, I always loved going to trade shows. Frankly I never quite felt like I've recovered fully, and I'm glad not to have to go this year. I expect by next year, I'll be up for it again, but I would go just to enjoy myself. There's no publication that expects me to cover the show, and I have all the clients I want. A show without any pressure other than checking things out, helping with the TEC and MIDI Innovation Awards, and having fun is very appealing!

"I make this cool little guitar tuner that fits in a cable...anyone interested?" and then a company like Planet Waves could say "tell me more." NAMM describes it as a "matchmaking" service. It's probably nothing more than trying to replicate what happens at physical .

Online shark tank?

There was also a hint that some "exhibitors" will have a live person on the link so you can ask questions or discuss their product further.

That seems to adventurous for NAMM, but I could see Chuck Surack doing it at Sweetwater. Have YouTube channel for each exhibitor and a live chat running all day. Which is what a lot of people would have been doing at NAMM this go around anyhow, except it would have been driven by the gear review channels instead of the show itself.

My home is just over the hill from there. I walk to Eden Center for lunch several times a month. Next time you're in the area, give me a shout.

Will do - good panang chicken at a teeny tiny Thai restaurant there, I have no idea the name of it, just how to get there!