Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I use both XLR and 1/4 outs? (Yamaha MG06X)

Any issues with using XLR and 1/4 outs at the same time on this mixer (Yamaha MG06X)? Is there some electrical issue that might turn this into a fubar?

Notes:

- All the instruments/vocals will be plugged into the Yamaha MG06X mixer.

- I'd like to send the XLR outs (+4 dBu) to the PA speakers

- And the 1/4" Stereo Outs to the audio interface (SSL 2)

* technical PDF for Yamaha MG06X

MG06X_front_f485835828f4468b4068d83daa6b3962.jpgSSL-2---Rear-trans-back.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason not to try it. I'm certain there would be a warning to avoid it if there was a problem. Yamaha is a solid company, they aren't going to just toss something out there and hope nobody blows it up.

If you needed more outputs you could probably use a TRS to 2 TS splitter cable from the headphone jack to send audio somewhere.

The only advantage I can see to using the headphone out is it will give you a seperate volume control down at the bottom end of the mixer.

Your SSL 2 cn handle the line in inputs more likely than not. In any case the worst that could happen is something will be distorted sounding. Start at low volume and work your way up.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The only thing to look out for is that you don't have independent level controls for the XLR and 1/4" outputs. If you change the level going to the speakers, you'll also change the level going to the interface. Spend some time before the first outing to find a good ballpark setting for the input gain controls on the interface and mixer so that you have sufficient headroom to drive the speakers without clipping while driving the interface to a reasonable record level without clipping. Try to keep the meters on both, at least initially, so that peaks rarely go above the -10 dB level.

I have successfully done it with the MG10XU, which is the MG06X's bigger brother. No issues. Like others have noted you don't have an independent level control.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments