Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Goals 2021

Thinking about getting a better desk for my little apartment corner studio, and maybe one of those multi-tier KB stands for all the gear. It'd be nice to have it all set up so I can just flip a few switches and hit record or start jamming..

What about yall?

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about getting a better desk for my little apartment corner studio, and maybe one of those multi-tier KB stands for all the gear. It'd be nice to have it all set up so I can just flip a few switches and hit record or start jamming..

What about yall?

Yeah, although I like looking at new keyboard gear, I really got what I need. I recently remodeled my home office/music studio and decided I should focus on being comfortable and productive with what I have. So I"ve ordered a nice corner desk:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDVCNR1--middle-atlantic-products-mdv-cnr1

And a modest controller to make my Cubase experience better:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKONTStu--korg-nanokontrol-studio

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Osmose under my hands.

Yes! I'm generally good at being patient, but I'm incredibly eager to try this beast out in person. Pre-ordered day one, and it's the single biggest missing piece of the studio space I've been working on putting together this year.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I'd like to find 2 things;

1. some kind of pitch bend / mod wheel device for the Electro

2. A wah/expression that I can program to work in reverse (yes, I tried just turning the pedal around, but the angle is a bit too extreme)

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

2. A wah/expression that I can program to work in reverse (yes, I tried just turning the pedal around, but the angle is a bit too extreme)

Did you try reversing the wires on the plug?

Your mind is on vacation, but your mouth's workin' overtime - Mose Allison.

Like the OP, I want to streamline the functionality of my studio space. I would love a new desk as well.

I am considering building something custom that is suited for my needs and more compact. I worked at an aerospace company

and they used Flex Craft products. I made all sorts of great stuff with it, including a work bench in my condo for guitar repair.

https://flex-craft.com

It is very easy to try different configurations before you commit, I have some ideas.

I'd also like independent speaker stands and modular drawers for microphone and audio widget storage.

AND, I want to get some of my guitars up on the wall for easy access, plus a small cord hanging system so everything I need is at hand.

All that will take a while but I'll get to it and most likely in 2021.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I"m fine on gear as long as I don"t have to physically handle the Kronos up and down stairs. I"m still in the Pop Band but the band is branching out and doing some rock stuff. I"m playing guitar and keys. Going ampless in 2021. Going to run the Helix Floor through the Keyboard sub/line mix. Bought the Helix last December. I finally got to where I"m happy with my programming. Through IEMs I like it. I feel more connected through the ears than if I"m playing an amp. If you told me 10 years ago I would be playing guitars through a Line 6 modeler I would have said you are batshit crazy. The other player has a Kemper. It"s nice also but he uses his pedalboard also. I like the effects on the Helix.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I still need to replace the One Spot with a small T-Rex power supply I have for the Morley and Peterson tuner.

p7Wgolw.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That is a very fine looking desk.

Yeah, I hope I like it when I finally get it. I had one fiasco with another vendor on this item and had to cancel after it was lost in shipping for 4 weeks..finally got a refund and reordered with different vendor.

I was actually surprised at how few decent corner desk options there are. Lots of cheap consumer stuff but not many units that met my requirements (shelf for 40' monitor and two mid-size monitors, some rack space, and not too skimpy on the desk space.). Wish it had a slide under computer keyboard shelf...but I can add that if need be.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Did you try reversing the wires on the plug?

That sounds like a complicated process, and includes the risk of getting electrocuted or blowing up my keyboard. But if it works, it will be worth it, I'll give it a try.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I'm interested in the Behringer 2600. It's finally achieved pre-order status, but I'm going to wait until the bloody thing starts shipping to ante-up. Depending on how you look at it, I've either been waiting forty years for a 2600 or about three or four years--since whenever Uli first mentioned it. I figure I can wait another month or three.

Wouldn't mind a Eurorack mixer, but no one seems to make what I want, so I'll likely build it myself. The design would be a trivial exercise. The thing is that you can buy finished units cheaper than it costs to buy the pots and knobs, and it would save me a butt-load of time...although I enjoy electronics, so it would be a fun project.

Other than that, I'm actually pretty stable in terms of what I want vs. what I already have.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I just moved my stuff into a slightly bigger room and am finally feeling like it's more of a studio than a practice space. Therefore gonna be spenging a fair bit in the next bit.

A couple of things likely to show up in the next few days to months:

-A studio rack (used from the 'jij)

-A power conditioner (waiting on inventory at L&M...)

-Some cinder blocks to help build some stands and shelves for A+V monitors and QWERTY/mouse

-A large diaphragm condenser (still debating which one)

-A large stand, whether an A-frame, a metal shelf, or otherwise to set up several boards

-Another rug

-Probably a few more aux percussion items

-Probably too many extra cables, adapters, and accessories

-Eventually, some room treatment (DIY)

-Also down the line, I need to frame some Bob Moog Foundation posters my brother bought me for christmas (last year...)

I just moved my stuff into a slightly bigger room and am finally feeling like it's more of a studio than a practice space. Therefore gonna be spenging a fair bit in the next bit.

A couple of things likely to show up in the next few days to months:

-A studio rack (used from the 'jij)

-A power conditioner (waiting on inventory at L&M...)

-Some cinder blocks to help build some stands and shelves for A+V monitors and QWERTY/mouse

-A large diaphragm condenser (still debating which one)

-A large stand, whether an A-frame, a metal shelf, or otherwise to set up several boards

-Another rug

-Probably a few more aux percussion items

-Probably too many extra cables, adapters, and accessories

-Eventually, some room treatment (DIY)

-Also down the line, I need to frame some Bob Moog Foundation posters my brother bought me for christmas (last year...)

I got a rack mount Furman power conditioner last year, I forget the model but it was a return so I paid just a bit over half price for it. 8 plugs in back and one in front (handy). More watts than everything in my home could use.

Once I hooked it up I wondered why I hadn't gotten one sooner. "Mystery noise" virtually vanished and has not come back. Others on MPN have mentioned that their Furmans are going strong after 15-20 years of use. It is a "buy nice or by twice" sort of device, I'll never be without one again.

What do you want your large diaphragm condenser mic to do for you? And, what is your price range? Yes, there are LOTS of choices. Some of the cheap ones stink and some are pretty OK. Many of the best ones are stupid money, I'd have to win the lottery and then you might as well get a matched pair and gold plated to boot.

Learning to properly exploit the gear and software I already have.

This is entirely too practical!!! : - D

Poking around in Surge last night, a nice free vst synth, I realized I will never know what everything does unless I ignore everything else.

I'm currently in the process of retooling my main live rig in anticipation of (fingers crossed) resuming actual band gigs later this year. Part of the process: pimping out a fairly ugly modern-looking synth to make it visually congruent with the more vintage, analog-looking instruments in the rig. This includes me learning to stain wood, making the most of my Cricut cutting machine, and gratefully receiving assistance from a fellow forumite with a 3D printer and a 14-year-old son who's apparently an ace at using it. Yes, pics will be forthcoming at the appropriate time...

Covid (and advancing age) convinced me to re-prioritize my musical equipment from live performance to recording.

Like others, I'm moving towards skill building more than new acquisition.

I think every expenditure in 2020 was toward a better DAW environment. Current Jonesing, all pretty mild, is for more DAW stuff (mics and reference monitors) and of course a PC4.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Mine gear goals start like OP and after I finish clearing out stuff to get a nice desk to create a composing setup. Then still jonesing for a workstation, but since getting a good MIDI keyboard maybe getting some sound libraries might be better choice. So that's what I think about at this point.

A Clav. Some of you may know it's been on my wishlist for a while. The trick is, it has to be located somewhere that I can get it. There's one in Connecticut for a decent price on Reverb right now, but it's a hour and a half away from anyone I'd have get it for me so it's out. If I found one within a days drive from here I'd do it, or if it's a longer drive but where I might know some people and we can safely get together (meaning not now, hopefully later this year), I could consider it. I've had my chancesâ¦

Maybe a Oberheim clone. :snax:

A bigger room to put all the gear in. This is probably not going to happen unless something falls in our lap. I mean, it means moving and there's a lot we like here. A few places we thought might be perfect didn't work out after all.

Of course, getting better with the gear I already have. Duh.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Although I may make an impulsive purchase or two (UB-Xa or Pro-800 if they ever see the light of day) my main focus this year will be in sound system updates - and that's entirely dependent on the lay of the land when things start opening up. I don't know what clubs will survive, how people will feel about going out again... everything is so changed now. It's quite possible that I'll just hang it up.

My gear goals depend 100% on the covid situation and gigging. I'm also not sure I'm really in a band anymore, they've gotten subs for a couple big gigs that I wouldn't play and I'm not on any band pics according to my friend who is on Facebook (I no longer am). Oh well. If no gigs for most of 2021 (as looks likely), then I may look to get a fancy controller or something...I certainly need no more software at this point, and that's all I use at home.

If I'm going to gig, then my original plan after selling my Electro was to get a Stage Compact, not sure I'll be able to swing that by then financially but we'll see.

I doubt I'll be band-gigging again, so my main goal is to avoid spending money on stage keyboards! If I could turn back the clock, I'd be very tempted with a YC61/73. That said, I've gotten really into virtual instruments over the last year, so more of those, and I might yet jump on a DMC-122 before they're gone, as I feel it will be one of those things I'll wish I had. And of course like most of us I'll be paying attention to what comes up for discussion from Virtual NAMM.

Here for the gear.

blablabla

I got a rack mount Furman power conditioner last year, I forget the model but it was a return so I paid just a bit over half price for it. 8 plugs in back and one in front (handy). More watts than everything in my home could use.

Once I hooked it up I wondered why I hadn't gotten one sooner. "Mystery noise" virtually vanished and has not come back. Others on MPN have mentioned that their Furmans are going strong after 15-20 years of use. It is a "buy nice or by twice" sort of device, I'll never be without one again.

What do you want your large diaphragm condenser mic to do for you? And, what is your price range? Yes, there are LOTS of choices. Some of the cheap ones stink and some are pretty OK. Many of the best ones are stupid money, I'd have to win the lottery and then you might as well get a matched pair and gold plated to boot.

Yup, it's the basic Furman on order. I've already got a few of their power bars which do nice work, but this will be a step up. And all the rack space underneath will be calling for companionship! :laugh:

For mics, I've definitely got my eye on the Warm Audio offerings, perhaps the 87 or the new 67. Perhaps an Avantone CV12. Maybe something from Mojave. There are some other mics I would consider, like the Aston Spirit or a 414 which I can borrow fairly easily from good friends, so they're not being considered like they would be. I like to bargain shop but I also like making sure that I'm not skimping where it counts, and this will be my workhorse mic likely for a while. Vocals, perc, AP, amps, all of it. Since a bunch of these purchases will be spread out over a while, I don't really have a strict budget, but the more I spend on one thing, the less I'll have to spend on all the other things. Likely won't go over $1,200-1,300 CDN.

For mics, I've definitely got my eye on the Warm Audio offerings, perhaps the 87 or the new 67. Perhaps an Avantone CV12. Maybe something from Mojave. There are some other mics I would consider, like the Aston Spirit or a 414 which I can borrow fairly easily from good friends, so they're not being considered like they would be. I like to bargain shop but I also like making sure that I'm not skimping where it counts, and this will be my workhorse mic likely for a while. Vocals, perc, AP, amps, all of it. Since a bunch of these purchases will be spread out over a while, I don't really have a strict budget, but the more I spend on one thing, the less I'll have to spend on all the other things. Likely won't go over $1,200-1,300 CDN.

I have one of the Warm Wa47s and love it. A studio I freelance at has a classic Telefunken U47, in wonderful shape and an amazing mic. The owner of the studio told me he"d reviewed the Wa47 and it compared favorably with his U47, which was a pretty high recommendation to me. Have been totally happy with mine. I"m considering the 67 as well. Not a fan of the original U87, so that interests me less.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow