Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another excellent year for the passive investor

S&P 500 powers to a record closing high on the final day of 2020, ending the year with a 16% rise

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stock-market-news-live-updates-december-31-2020-231609965.html

The S&P 500 ended the year at an all-time closing high, securing a gain of just over 16% for the year, or 18% with reinvested dividends. This marked a back-to-back year of double-digit gains for the blue-chip index, after it advanced by nearly 29% in 2019.

===================================================================================

By 'passive investor' my context is the choice to buy an index fund pegged to a major index.

I refer to the S&P index, since my Vanguard index fund is based on the S & P.

We have had prior discussions of this topic last summer.

16% return on my principle for the year. I will take that any year.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Index funds are somewhat higher risk, always best to diversify. Yadda yadda...

interested in your ' somewhat '. if you can show an article, specific to the S and P

here is what I go by:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S%26P_500_companies

The S&P 500 stock market index, maintained by S&P Indices, comprises 505 common stocks issued by 500 large-cap companies and traded on American stock exchanges (including the 30 companies that compose the Dow Jones Industrial Average), and covers about 80 percent of the American equity market by capitalization. The index is weighted by free-float market capitalization, so more valuable companies account for relatively more of the index.

IOW, 505 of the biggest and likely the best. or more " valuable co's "

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Whoopee! I'll ask my broker if I can buy that $50,000 SSL console now.

In spite of all the unpleasant doings, this really was a good year for the stock market. I have five or six mutual funds, each with slightly different goals and plans, so I'm doing pretty well.