Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Hosa Hopscotch Patch Cables

Because I started trying out the patches in the Patchbooks published by Moog for the Matriarch, and quickly realized some of the patches required more cables than the 9 shipped with the Matrarch. I didn't know that a TSF Pigtail was until i got these. I'm sure the pigtails will come in handy.

I got a pair of wired Grado open-air headphone for Christmas:

https://gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/1-sr80e

I know there are higher-priced headphones out there, but these are plenty good enough for me for music,

and they do not have overpowering bass (which I do not like, since I am more of a treble freak anyway).

I did not want "in-ear" headphones because I just cannot get comfortable with them.

Their open-air design means I can hear what is going on around me.

As bonus, they are a piece of consumer electronics made in my own country.

Tom, you're a brave man. I've never made the leap to a kit, leaning instead on Octapads and HandSonics. I've been so absorbed by my ongoing keyboard work that the leap to a full kit's level of required muscle memory never quite seemed logistically sensible. Dave Stewart once offered bandmate Bill Bruford more sounds for his e-drums, but he said "I don't want more sounds. I want to find a way to make better use of what I already have." Smart, but also clearly not a synth guy! :laugh: Good luck with the new buy.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Tom, you're a brave man. I've never made the leap to a kit, leaning instead on Octapads and HandSonics. I've been so absorbed by my ongoing keyboard work that the leap to a full kit's level of required muscle memory never quite seemed logistically sensible.

I have a kick and hi-hat pedal for my Handsonic - have you tried those?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I had the older model Handsonic - HPD-15. I got it after I took some tabla lessons. It made me sound like a better hand drummer than I actually was. It even got me invited to sit in with a local band for several shows. The band already had a very good hand drummer, but he was cool, didn't make fun of my inferior hand drumming skill, and we got along fine. He ended up getting his own Handsonic.

I was briefly tempted to get a snare for the brush sounds that I couldn't get from the Handsonic.

Damn, shouldn't have browsed the Roland website... that Taiko-1 looks cool

I"m such a damn homer. I bought stuff I need for my modeler guitar rig. The new 2020 Morley Bad Horsie wah. It"s my 3rd Bad Horsie. The original from the 90s wore out. Then I got the Bad Horsie 2. The new 20/20 one is smaller so it will fit in the Helix case. I also bought another Peterson Strobostomp. I think this is my 4th one of those.

I"m boring, if I find something that works I stick with it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Tom, you're a brave man. I've never made the leap to a kit, leaning instead on Octopads and HandSonics.
Yeah, I have an ancient -- early 90s? -- Octopad which I have used to play trap parts in the past, and more recently to enter MIDI drum tracks. But, I have played trap drums for 45 years, so muscle memory is happier with a whole kit. The last drum kit I had was dispersed around 1980! Plus, I had a second PC361 that just sat in the practice hall, and Simmons had a sale, and GC does trade-ins. And Jupiter and Saturn aligned. It was obviously the right time to do this. :-)

I like hand drums too, so now my wife is gonna get nervous when I start watching a lot of HandSonics videos on YouTube. If she kills me, it's your (collective) fault.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Tom, you're a brave man. I've never made the leap to a kit, leaning instead on Octopads and HandSonics.
Yeah, I have an ancient -- early 90s? -- Octopad which I have used to play trap parts in the past, and more recently to enter MIDI drum tracks. But, I have played trap drums for 45 years, so muscle memory is happier with a whole kit. The last drum kit I had was dispersed around 1980! Plus, I had a second PC361 that just sat in the practice hall, and Simmons had a sale, and GC does trade-ins. And Jupiter and Saturn aligned. It was obviously the right time to do this. :-)

I like hand drums too, so now my wife is gonna get nervous when I start watching a lot of HandSonics videos on YouTube. If she kills me, it's your (collective) fault.

But wait, it gets worse!!!!

Tom, I have a Roland Handsonic HPD-15 - the first version. It's a fantastic tool/toy but you've got MIDI drums covered really well already.

I also have a Korg Wavedrum Global, which has audio outputs only, one drum head and the rim can also be played with two different sets of "bumps" to slide sticks across. It's a PITA to program, much can be done with the 200 presets.

I would not trade the Wavedrum for a brand new latest version Handsonic. The level of expression that the Wavedrum offers is far beyond the Handsonic. The drum head is a real one and it plays like it. Play from the center to the rim and you will hear it respond like a real drum. Press the head down and the pitch will shift (oddly, some programs shift it up and some shift it down). Turn it way up (be careful, the microphone will feedback!) and you can hear your fingernails scratch the head. The variations from soft to loud are vast. For me, it feels much more like I am playing an actual instrument instead of triggering samples. There are NO samples, that's not how it works. It is a combination of analog triggering, synth sounds and some sort of magic.

You owe it to yourself to at least surf the interwebz and check out the Wavedrum. It is my favorite electronic drum by far and a good friend has a top of the line Roland kit.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yesterday I picked up the Soniccouture Array Mbira.

It is fantastic, one of the best sounding plugins I've tried. I only dinked around with a mouse and the keyboard in Kontakt Player but the tones are sublime. On sale for 2 more days.

https://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/26-percussion/g22-array-mbira/

I bought an black Arturia 61 controller (used but in mint condition) . It comes with the Arturia software and it's really easy to get around the sonic ocean. Now I need to explore some of the 6500 sounds and duplicate some synths I used on my NE5 for summer gigs

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Tom, I have a Roland Handsonic HPD-15 - the first version. It's a fantastic tool/toy but you've got MIDI drums covered really well already.

I also have a Korg Wavedrum Global, which has audio outputs only, one drum head and the rim can also be played with two different sets of "bumps" to slide sticks across. It's a PITA to program, much can be done with the 200 presets.

I would not trade the Wavedrum for a brand new latest version Handsonic. The level of expression that the Wavedrum offers is far beyond the Handsonic. The drum head is a real one and it plays like it. Play from the center to the rim and you will hear it respond like a real drum. Press the head down and the pitch will shift (oddly, some programs shift it up and some shift it down). Turn it way up (be careful, the microphone will feedback!) and you can hear your fingernails scratch the head. The variations from soft to loud are vast. For me, it feels much more like I am playing an actual instrument instead of triggering samples. There are NO samples, that's not how it works. It is a combination of analog triggering, synth sounds and some sort of magic.

You owe it to yourself to at least surf the interwebz and check out the Wavedrum. It is my favorite electronic drum by far and a good friend has a top of the line Roland kit.

Naw, let's go full-on Enabler mode and get him to buy both Handsonic and Wavedrum.

Wavedrum for the expressive snare work. Handsonic for all the other parts, because it takes pedals for kick and hi hat.

Or, maybe Nord Drum instead of Handsonic. Or both Nord Drum AND Handsonic

Naw, let's go full-on Enabler mode and get him to buy both Handsonic and Wavedrum.

Wavedrum for the expressive snare work. Handsonic for all the other parts, because it takes pedals for kick and hi hat.

Or, maybe Nord Drum instead of Handsonic. Or both Nord Drum AND Handsonic

There is a really cool Yamaha widget too, he needs that!!!! And bongos, a dumbek, a cajon and a tamborine. Plus real high hat cymbals, no substitute. It's just money, and space and time...

And bongos, a dumbek, a cajon and a tamborine. Plus real high hat cymbals, no substitute. It's just money, and space and time...

KC is really a multi-instrumentalist forum, ain't it?

Anyway, my brain-damaged cannibal friend, I have most of that list, and I do indeed appreciate (and miss) real high-hat cymbals. And I am quite intrigued by electronic hand percussion, if it's more expressive than the still-mediocre standards of electronic trap sets. Expression is what it's all about for me, whatever the instrument.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

And bongos, a dumbek, a cajon and a tamborine. Plus real high hat cymbals, no substitute. It's just money, and space and time...

KC is really a multi-instrumentalist forum, ain't it?

Anyway, my brain-damaged cannibal friend, I have most of that list, and I do indeed appreciate (and miss) real high-hat cymbals. And I am quite intrigued by electronic hand percussion, if it's more expressive than the still-mediocre standards of electronic trap sets. Expression is what it's all about for me, whatever the instrument.

For expression in an electronic drum, nothing in my experience comes close to the Wavedrum. Be sure to get the Global, previous versions don't have enough gain. The Global sounds great straight into a DI, for a Line In it's too weak.

Every time I dink around with it (not a real drummer, I just play one in my own studio), it makes me smile.

The snare sample on my Handsonic will do if all you want is variations in volume. If you want subtle but realistic changes like the difference between wood sticks and rubber mallets, the tone of the center of the head compared to the edges and the ability to make subtle pitch changes (press your thumb into the head about an inch in from the rim). AND the ability to record any time night or day without disturbing anybody - the Wavedrum is the way to go. I live in a multi unit condo with a unit above and on one side. I can put headphones on and lay down tracks any time night or day and nobody is the wiser. A great real snare drum in a great sounding room played by a real drummer would be better but I don't have those things available.

I thought the ATV aFrame was a neat hand percussion instrument. But the high price must have limited sales because Sweetwater doesn't seem to carry it anymore.

[video:youtube]

ATV also makes/made a drum set but that also suffered from high pricing.

The ATV aFrame is pretty awesome. It is a sample player though, not a blend of analog and synthesizers.

I'd love to have one but you are right, they are pretty spendy. I've never tried one but the demos indicate it is one of the most versatile and expressive sample based percussion instruments by far.

I picked up a TC Helicon SingThing last week for Christmas. It's a fun toy for my son and I and will hopefully be useful if / when I start gigging again.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I thought the ATV aFrame was a neat hand percussion instrument. But the high price must have limited sales because Sweetwater doesn't seem to carry it anymore.

[video:youtube]

ATV also makes/made a drum set but that also suffered from high pricing.

The ATV aFrame is pretty awesome. It is a sample player though, not a blend of analog and synthesizers.

I'd love to have one but you are right, they are pretty spendy. I've never tried one but the demos indicate it is one of the most versatile and expressive sample based percussion instruments by far.

In the Sweetwater video, the ATV guy is asked about sampling and he says, no sampling. All the sound is from the microphones run through heavy duty DSP.

Sweetwater's article also says no sampling:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/atv-aframe-electrorganic-frame-drum-demo/

In the Sweetwater video, the ATV guy is asked about sampling and he says, no sampling. All the sound is from the microphones run through heavy duty DSP.

Sweetwater's article also says no sampling:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/atv-aframe-electrorganic-frame-drum-demo/

Well, I've been wrong before, once... lol.

And I would still like to have one.

There are six Wavedrum Globals available used on eBay right now, starting at $377 plus $60 shipping. All from Japan, no used ones anywhere else.

There is one aFrame in total on eBay, again "pre-owned" and again from Japan. $2215.34 plus $60 shipping. I didn't do a deep search, your results may vary.

You could make a complete Wavedrum based drum kit for less than one aFrame.

Maybe you do get what you pay for, if you can pay that much. I can't, or I don't feel like I need it that bad.

Sold a Moog Voyager. Bought a Keystep Pro. That's what you call a downgrade. :)

wanted to dislike this post but there is only a like button. Downgrade indeed. :facepalm:

You must have some reason for this, Rob.

Main reason, I had not turned it on in a year. I've decided that it is time to get rid of anything that I am not using. Got the Keystep Pro to connect to my modular but it will also be useful for other stuff. Used part of the money to upgrade my old iPhone 8 to a 12 Pro Max. It is like having a new camera.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Just got the V Collection 8 upgrade from 7.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

i got a rock ,

i'm just complaining , just got a quik loc ws550 stand from musician's friend delivered , box was pretty tore up , the stand itself was damaged ( plastic end pieces on two legs were torn )

obviously , was returned and they just sent it back out to the next customer . was kind of surprised . they did give me the option of a discount , but i declined , i'll take the refund and get it

somewhere else . is this a trend in the business ?

is this a trend in the business ?

thankfully no. This particular vendor is currently in Chapter 11 and most likely is having difficulty getting new stock from vendors, so they sent you what they had. Could have been fine also when it was shipped and was damaged in shipping, no one wiil ever know. Try another vendor. Those are good stands, I still have 2, sold one recently to free up some floor space.

:nopity: