Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(Yes, another) Headphones thread

Hi guys,

I know there are headphone threads in the archives, but I don't remember seeing one lately, and new products appear, and everybody's experiences change, so...

I'm looking for a new pair, I'm guessing somewhere around 150 US$. For the last 20 years I've been using a cheap pair of open-back Sennheiser's that still get the job done (last year I even soldered back the cable inside the headphone after my dog chewed it), but somehow I feel I should upgrade. I must average about 1-2 hours of use everyday, and my main uses are listening to youtube, vinyls, practicing and occasionnal recording. I "think" I want to stick with open-back for the comfort (letting things breath) and not being too disconnected from the outside world. I've identified a few candidates but still undecided.

So, what are your recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Martin

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have different shaped heads and ears, which introduces a factor that is separate from the usual parameters. I was reminded of this when I finally took the risk on ordering Neumann's first headphones, the NDH 20 model, which are closed-back and not for you (budget-wise either) but which I mention because most reviews trash it as uncomfortable due to being round instead of ear-shaped like Sennheiser's (their parent company).

I have only ever had one pair of rectangular shaped headphones and found them extremely uncomfortable. The NDH 20 just might be my most comfortable pair! My ears overheat easily, and round cans are for me a cooler wear, and as I have big ears and a very wide head, the other type are rarely if ever the right fit for me anyway and thus they cause more rather than less pressure against my ears.

The reason I bought these is that they are said to have the same sonic signature as Neumann's monitors, which I use, so I figured my mixes would translate better when I switch back and forth.

Now for the budget range, it's a bit trickier to recommend open or semi-open cans than it is closed cans, where AKG DT770 still reigns supreme (keeping in mind that they have at least three different impedance models).

As I have exited the budget range 100% at this point and now only have cans starting at the $300 price tag and higher, I won't be making any recommendations here for open cans in the budget range, but thought it worth mentioning the ergonomic factor so that no one makes a regretted choice having not taken that into consideration. And how a mix translates between your monitors and your cans is also important.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Headphones bang for the buck

Superlux 668B.

One if the only phones I will use with my B-3.

Hammond will put any phone to the acid test.

For many in this forum only top dollar gear will do. Not the case for me.

668B great for digital piano also. Sold my AKG and Audio Technicas....

At that price point I would normally recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but it's closed-back. The only really decent open-back headphones at that price that I can think of are the AKG models. The latest version of the tried and true K240 is right at that price point you mention, and if you go a bit more spendy, the K612 is a great value for the money.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Most of the headphone technology forgoes the main issues which in this time are digital and digital type productions. Putting on a good record on a good headphone amp is a different experience, most likely.

Producing with headphones isn't the same target as listening to an instrument with some pleasure or being wowed by playing some digital source back, even if it is for a short while (before for instance boomy bass with always-the-same sound bores your socks off).

I use AKG K271mkII for many years and they have the potential to distinguish between right and wrong digital, never please for no reason andmatch my big multi-amped monitoring on proper sources without leaving neutrality.

T

I paid exactly 150 for my current open-backed phones: Massdrop 58x (Sennheiser hd600 really). Super comfy and I really like them. I was a bit leery of buying via Massdrop but I got convinced by posters on various forums (including this one) that they are legit. Phones of this quality are apparently normally quite a bit more. They also have (or had) a version of the HD650 for $50 more, but reviews suggested I'd be just as happy with the HD600.

At that price point I would normally recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but it's closed-back. The only really decent open-back headphones at that price that I can think of are the AKG models. The latest version of the tried and true K240 is right at that price point you mention, and if you go a bit more spendy, the K612 is a great value for the money.

I second the AKG K240. I found 2 pairs of them at Goodwill about 10 years ago. One pair works perfectly, the other does not. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 and a pair of Extreme Isolation EX-25, both closed back.

By far, the AKG K240 are the most pleasing for listening. I switch to the Sennhheiser cans often for perspective and the EX-25s are for tracking, mostly for vocals. They suppress bleed into the vocal mic but don't really sounds "right" to me.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I received the Beyerdynamic DT-770 for Christmas, loving them. I also own Shure SH-440 and Sennheiser HD-280 and Sony not sure the model. I like these Beyerdynamic better than any of them for mixing. The others I will hand out for tracking when recording. The DT-770 go for $160 USD. They are quite comfortable for the last two days I have been using them for hours.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell