Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Leslie West gone at 75

I loved Mountain and wore out that album. A bass player I worked with back in the day told me his band opened for them but their equipment truck got lost so they asked if they could use my froiends bands equip. They said OK if any damages would be covered. When Leslie went over to the Marshall stack on stage he just took his hand and swiped all the dials to 10. LOL!

BTW I also remember a rumor that the only reason he had a Hammond player was so as not to be accused of copying Creme. RIP Mr. West you gave us some good music.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love Mountain, I also dig some of the stuff he did with Jeff Beck and then with Jack Bruce. Their heavy version of Superstition (especially live) manages to groove and funk at the same time it's dragging the chains.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Although there are many musicians, songs, and bands that are said to have launched the Heavy metal genre, I remember that for a long time Mountain had a plurality if not majority of the votes as the originators.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

A couple of years ago I was paying inside a gas station and "Mississippi Queen" was blasting through the sound system. The young guys dug it â from Guitar Hero. I saw Mountain at The Electric Circus in Toronto when I lived there in '70 - '71. The legacy lives on.

RIP Leslie West.

Here for the gear.

I should be used to the idea that we're going to lose people at a regular rate--simply due to age, if nothing else. Add cancer, etc. and...dammit, I'm NOT used to it. These guys we're losing were supposed to live forever, you know?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I should be used to the idea that we're going to lose people at a regular rate--simply due to age, if nothing else. Add cancer, etc. and...dammit, I'm NOT used to it. These guys we're losing were supposed to live forever, you know?

Grey

Thankfully, their music will live forever!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

We went to so many Mountain shows from 1969 to 1972 up at the Capital Theatre in Portchester, NY... I lost count..w/Pig or Joshua Light show.... bottle of Boones Farm and a nickle or dime ... I was a bit to young for the Vagrants but I had heard so many local conversations in those years about thier shows, everyone in Queens,NYC .. talking about them, The Vagrants played in the 1st club I every played in those years, underage...... hommes, Felix and Leslie for me... they lived about 10 min from where I grew up . .and meet people in my day gigs that knew them personally! RIP Leslie West.....

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I saw Mountain at The Electric Circus in Toronto when I lived there in '70 - '71. The legacy lives on.

RIP Leslie West.

I saw them in 1970 at a free Festival Express concert outside the main Exhibition Stadium venue in Toronto. There was an ugly price-gouging protest outside the stadium gates on the first day of the event. To soothe the waters, some of the bands in the festival lineup set up and played on a flatbed truck in nearby Coronation Park. Mountain was one of them. Leslie West was mesmerizing.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Was it just the regular or just the strawberry you didn't like! :laugh:

"I could have gone all day without being reminded of Boone's Farm...

Grey"

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122