Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post Your Christmas/Holiday Tunes

Since we're all posting Christmas tunes in a couple of different spots on the board, I thought it would be cool to have a consolidated thread for them. Christmas past or present, covers or originals, OG Christmas or generic "holiday season" songs--if you played one or wrote one, post it here.

I'll start with this collaboration some friends and I did distanced-style this past week. If this thread manages to survive beyond this week I am definitely going to regret sharing this COVID-hair-era version of me.

I solo just before the 2:00 mark.

[video:youtube]

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Christmases ago as my wife and I were traveling home from our honeymoon, we were inspired to write this song. And if that makes you think, "Aww, how sweet and wholesome," then clearly you don't know us very well. We recorded it hoping to get it played on the Dr. Demento podcast this year, but we were literally one day too late for his Christmas show, so we've got our fingers crossed for next year.

Beth Patterson, aka Bad Beth & Beyond: vocals and bouzouki

Lewis D'Aubin, aka DrumBot: drums

Me: everything else

My first time producing tunes for this francophone compilation album, here are a few of my favourites:

I play piano on all of these, Jason Kodie has a beautiful accordion solo (hold the laughter) on this one.

Michael Bublé's new Killer clarinet solo from Jeremiah McDade here.

This one's a duet, more on the classical/romantic side. We did the vocals and piano live off the floor but overdubbed strings later (One person doing three parts, then a cellist afterwards). I'm still pretty sure I made the right choices due to the heavy rubato and lack of rehearsal time.

As I posted in my shameless plug thread, there were challenges aplenty between it being a compilation with many people and styles involved, all original material, a pandemic, my inexperience as a producer, etc, but I think we did ok.

I also laid down a quick B3 part at home for this track (I'm there, just little low in the mix :) )

Some great stuff up there ^^^ !!!! Nice to hear it.

First one is our second annual holiday gift video. I haven't jammed with Brittany in about a year now, was good to play a nice, depressing little Christmas song.

I've been lead guitar for the JP Falcon Band for about 5 years. We were planning a full band session, then the drummer went out of town and the bassist got a cold.

So we went simple, an acoustic duo. Enjoy!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Christmas Waltz 2020

I"m migrating this song over to this thread. I had forgotten about this tune after having contributed the piano part eight years ago. My old friend, the songwriter, decided to release the tune, so I thought that, given the season, this might be a good share.

This isn"t a style that I normally play, but I appreciate the song"s sincerity and charm. Bob has always been a thoughtful and soulful lyricist.

On second listen, I am wondering if I sent Bob a midi file. Sounds like someone hit the quantize button hard. That"s not my tendency. ð

I have two online currently.

Here's a recent (>2 weeks old) arrangement of "Sing We Now of Christmas" in 7/8.

And here's a video from a few years back of my arrangement of "We Three Kings" with an orchestra rock feel and accordion. All the backing music is from my Motif. It's not perfect but it was fun.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm there, just little low in the mix

Oh, the dreaded description for keys in the mix...

Tracks sound great Eric. Did you arrange the strings too?

Thanks Mike, I did. The world-class Daniel Gervais on violins and viola, the equally fantastic Nicholas Yee on cello.

Enjoying everyone else's tunes as well. There's some talent here, no doubt. :cheers:

This was done a few years ago...my grand daughter singing, grandson on glockenspiel, son on guitar, and yours truly. This year I add the newest grandchild (3yrs) on the tag...just wanted him included in this. Merry Christmas to all of you and your Families!

[video:youtube] https://youtu.be/mCdDC_lnQ8s

Dan Phillips of KORG Research & Development, the brains behind the Wavestate, is also a very talented musician and composer, taking after his older brother Glen (Toad The Wet Sprocket).

Once a year, he adds to an ongoing collection of holiday tunes. While the earliest few were his own bent takes on holiday classics, the majority follow the same fascinating workflow:

1. Choose a 1980s synthpop tune that everyone knows and loves

2. Do a letter-perfect rendition of the arrangement that will easily fool a casual listener and should impress even a discerning one, all without using a single original sample from the actual release

3. Adapt the lyrics of a traditional holiday song to fit the melody line and sing that instead of the original lyrics

The result is a collection of tunes like: Nice Day For A White Christmas, Just Can't Get Auld Lang Syne, You Spin Me Round (Like A Dreidel), Shock The Santa, West End Nick, Carol Of The Cars, and Deck The Robots. All free to download. Enjoy!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

And just to show you all that I really am one sick mo fo when it comes to this stuff, allow me to introduce you to (well, inflict upon you) Let Nothing You Dismay!

This is another ongoing collection of holiday tracks, one per year. These are collected by my friend Tim Walters, whose first CD The Dry Well was reviewed in KEYBOARD: "Ever wonder what it sounds like inside the Trash Can icon on your desktop? Tim Walters knows."

This stuff is all over the freaking map: brain-damaged kids' songs, outrageously good and/or outrageously bad re-imaginings, noisy scary computer-generated filth, and a few genuinely pretty holiday songs, including the single best rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody ever, after the original.

Enjoy (?).

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Here's mine for this year - I did every track one by one here except for the drum performance. 3 pianos, 3 choirs, bass on the keytar (it's the Scarbee Jay Bass) and all sorts of assorted tubular bells, sleigh bells and croatles.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries