Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone expecting keyboard stuff for Christmas?

Anyone expecting to get a keyboard or music gear for Christmas and see the kraft music/sweetwater/etc box arrive?

I asked my wife and immediate family to get me a Minilogue XD module and nothing else for Christmas and a pretty obvious Kraft Music package showed up at the door in late November. At this point I'm practically sweating in anticipation like a drug addict knowing there's an entire box of crack cocaine waiting for me under the tree. :crazy:

And yet just the other day my wonderfully naive wife asked me if I'm sure that's all I want because she feels bad I'm only getting "one thing." I don't think I've been this excited/tortured waiting for Christmas since childhood!

Merry Christmas, guys!

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone expecting to get a keyboard or music gear for Christmas and see the kraft music/sweetwater/etc box arrive?

At this point I'm practically sweating in anticipation like a drug addict knowing there's an entire box of crack cocaine waiting for me under the tree. :crazy:

I don't think I've been this excited/tortured waiting for Christmas since childhood!

That is awesome. :thu:

I'll live vicariously this Christmas as I haven't felt that way since I was about 12 years old. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think I might be getting the glockenspiel I asked for as a semi-afterthought a few weeks ago... it's funny, seems like an odd and specific piece of kit, as the Brits say, but I've been finding myself wanting one for overdubs often enough that I thought it would be fun to have the real thing anytime I want to get my Springsteen on in the studio.

I got my wife the multi-guitar rack she's been wanting for awhile so we don't have a bunch of easy-to-knock-over guitar stands all over the place, and FedEx dropped off a GIANT box that said "HERCULES GUITAR STAND" by the front door, which you could read from our living room window (and outer space, probably). You can bet I ran out there to grab it and frantically wrap it...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I think I might be getting the glockenspiel I asked for as a semi-afterthought a few weeks ago... it's funny, seems like an odd and specific piece of kit, as the Brits say, but I've been finding myself wanting one for overdubs often enough that I thought it would be fun to have the real thing anytime I want to get my Springsteen on in the studio.

I got my wife the multi-guitar rack she's been wanting for awhile so we don't have a bunch of easy-to-knock-over guitar stands all over the place, and FedEx dropped off a GIANT box that said "HERCULES GUITAR STAND" by the front door, which you could read from our living room window (and outer space, probably). You can bet I ran out there to grab it and frantically wrap it...

I understand your strange urge to get the glockenspiel, they look good, have a nice sound, and aren't particularly expensive. I have a similar weird desire to get a kalimba and a ukulele bass because of their unique sound and affordability.

That part about the guitar stand box is hilarious!

I got myself a StudioLogic SL88 Grand MIDI controller and a copy of Keyscape.

It was to be to setup a keyboard in another room as alternate practice area. Guess one thing I miss about playing guitar that I could have a guitar in every room to grab and play whenever something came to me. So at least now I'll have a keyboard in the two rooms I spend most my time in.

You can bet I ran out there to grab it and frantically wrap it...

OT but something similar happened here. I ordered a nice metal bench for our front porch, to replace the plastic chairs. It was due to come on a nice day here, so I planned to put it together "while I was doing something outside" and surprise her.

Normally, the shipping companies don't ring the bell, they just drop off the package and split. This time, they did, and I was in the middle of doing the dishes. My wife sees notification from the doorbell, and sees the big package and decides it shouldn't be left on the porch. I happened to turn around just as she's dragging it (it wasn't heavy, just awkward) in the front door. :facepalm:

I told her she could leave it out, I would take care of it, you weren't supposed to see that. Of course, she's such a sweetheart she then kept telling me that she didn't see anything. :love:

It's really hard to surprise someone with a delivery when you're both home all the time. Stupid pandammit.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Doc, dude, I bought a Pigtronix Mothership 2 Analog Synthesizer Pedal for my Clavinet just a week or 2 ago. Still in the box, will wait for Christmas to open it. Pigtronix is the shit. Bernie Worell used that envelope phaser on his clavinet and his minimoog. I bought a similar EH product years ago, a Stereo Poly Phase. Have it hooked up to my Arp String Ensemble. Please let me know how you like it, I'm sure you will.
:nopity:

:crazy: music people have to be some of the hardest people to shop for. Certainly as difficult as car guys. And if you"re both, oh hell. No one knows what board you want unless you tell them, then they see the price and think - yeah, you ain"t gettin" that. I guess leases have made it possible to put a bow on a Lexus for the Mrs. in the driveway. But if you"re a car guy, shoot. What"s your wife going to do? Hunt down a 1976 Porsche 914 for $20k? lol how"s she going to surprise you, by emptying out what you"ve drawn from the IRA for the quarter... SURPRISE! :laugh:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

:crazy: music people have to be some of the hardest people to shop for. Certainly as difficult as car guys. And if you"re both, oh hell. No one knows what board you want unless you tell them, then they see the price and think - yeah, you ain"t gettin" that. I guess leases have made it possible to put a bow on a Lexus for the Mrs. in the driveway. But if you"re a car guy, shoot. What"s your wife going to do? Hunt down a 1976 Porsche 914 for $20k? lol how"s she going to surprise you, by emptying out what you"ve drawn from the IRA for the quarter... SURPRISE! :laugh:

I happen to be both, and yes talk about two wildly expensive hobbies. I just spent over $800 on tires for my Chevy SS sedan and that was on clearance with a $120 rebate. It'll be $1,000 when I need brakes and god help me if I need new magnetic shocks any time soon. Boy does it make commuting a blast, though!

I have cheaper hobbies, too, like nerf and videogames. Those are usually the go-to.

I stopped asking family members for keyboard stuff and just get it on my own. Today's gift to me was an upgrade to the Full Kontakt 6. Between that, V-Collection 7 and a few Cubase add-ons, my in-the-box studio is pretty much complete!

For what it's worth, we've stopped exchanging gifts with most of our family members overall. We still buy things for our adult sons, mostly things they would not buy for themselves. But, in exchange, we ask that they make donations to local food pantries or other charities. We have everything we could possibly want, and there are far too many people in need right now.

Just ordered a demo Korg Prologue 8. Had been debating between a few small, analog synths since selling my Kronos 61. Love the sound and interface of the Minilogue XD, but remembered well how I didn't get along with the slim keys. The Prologue will complement my live rig well in 2021, but I definitely plan to use it to record. While I've been using hardware/software VAs for a long time, I still heard a clear difference when using the Minilogue XD. The Prologue 8 is similar, but with roomier keybed real estate.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I should say, though, my present to everyone in my family is a family karaoke/singalong book with everyone's individual favourites and some nostalgic tunes we heard a lot growing up. My mum has given everyone recipe books in the past (which get added to every year), so this is kind of my musical take on it. I decided to just email it out for now and print physical copies later, that way I can fit in some extra requests after they understand what I was getting at with those weird questions all those months ago.