Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Online gaming...

RABid

I've seen several people here mention online gaming ranging from Xbox to some of the large MMO's. Just wondering if there is an interest in forming a MPN guild or gaming group. Or maybe just sharing Xbox gamer tags. I'm not a hard core gamer and am horrible at shooters, but it might be fun to get together with the MPN crowd for a round of Fortnite. Is anyone interested? Does anyone want to organize it? My longest guild stint was 2 months in an Everquest guild so I would not be the one to get it together.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If I wasn't a musician, I'm fairly certain I would spend more time gaming. Sitting down and playing KB takes up that time.

Prior to becoming a musician, I spent a fair amount of time playing video games back in the 1980s.

After electronic handheld games, I've had almost every video game system since the Atari 2600.

Today, I still have a PlayStation 4 (PS4) for those times I feel like playing Madden (football).

I've got a few PS4 games still in shrinkwrap including Grand Theft Auto V that I bought during the Black Friday sale this year. :laugh:

Otherwise, I mainly use my PS4 as a DVD Blu-Ray player and Netflix portal. :cool:

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Joe Muscara said:
dB could create a forum for it if there's interest.

In minutes, if y'all want. :thu: i'd put it in the Clubs section.

I used to play all the time, for many years. Nintendo and Playstation...but I lost the itch a few years ago, and not even a fully loaded Switch has been able to get me back in. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

FS 2020 is sadly a work in progress. Beautiful to fly VFR low and slow, but a complete SNAFU for control of flight systems, AP, etc. I've been into it since my 1984 Atari 800 could handle it, and I'm willing to see how Asobo can now start correcting code without disturbing what works. Also, I'm waiting on helicopters, as promised. ( Don't worry - it'll come out fine in the mix, and other lies...)

I have been an 8 year player of World Of Tanks. Always loved armor, and my youngest son is a mech. engineer for the DOD developing weapons at Picatinny Arsenal. Love playing TD's since my reflexes suck compared to a teenagers, so hiding and sniping suits me well.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I grew up with some of the classics of the aughts on PC (have never owned a console, strictly forbidden for us). THPS 2 and 3, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2. A few iterations of Madden and NHL.

If I wasn't a musician, I'm fairly certain I would spend more time gaming. Sitting down and playing KB takes up that time.

Yeah, definitely. I've considered getting a console now, but never seriously.

... I have been an 8 year player of World Of Tanks. ...

Jake

I really like World of Tanks but have not been on in months. My Xbox Gold subscription ran out and I have not renewed it. Haven't turn the XBox on in two months. Anyway, WOT is the closest thing to a shooter that I really, really like. The only problem is that long term players have a big advantage over me with their high ranking tank crews. I think my highest crew is level 4.

Definitely a gamer here. Managed to do 143 episodes of a gamin podcast that wrapped up around a year ago. Have played WoW for 10 years though less regularly the past year. Big Destiny 2 player on PS4 and liking Cyberpunk 2077 as well :thu:

I love playing video games on my PS3. Two issues:

1) Whenever I play online I get immediately trounced by all the younger ones who play video games constantly. It quickly becomes boring for me because I lose so constantly. I need to find a game that doesn't involve quickness - maybe a strategy game (tho' I don't know any off the top of my head)

2) With a lot of piano practice, my hands and wrists get sore when using a game controller. So I limit how much time I spend with a game controller. And that is a big factor in why I can't compete in online games.

I've been enjoying GTA IV and V

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I used to play a lot of WoW, and more recently Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online. Online gaming can certainly bring out the worst of humanity but a good guild can insulate you from almost all of it.

I remember when I was playing WoW on a role-playing server--not because I was into role-playing, but it cut down the ahole ratio--then I joined my brother on a pure PVP server. Hoo, boy...I told him, if I wanted that much stress and conflict, I'd just go to work. Nothing like being virtually teabagged by a 12 year old....

I thought it was really cool that one guild I was in had three generations of players that I got to know: A grandma, her daughter, and her granddaughter. The grandma spent most of her virtual time fishing in the game :)

I used to play a lot of WoW, and more recently Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online. Online gaming can certainly bring out the worst of humanity but a good guild can insulate you from almost all of it.

I remember when I was playing WoW on a role-playing server--not because I was into role-playing, but it cut down the ahole ratio--then I joined my brother on a pure PVP server. Hoo, boy...I told him, if I wanted that much stress and conflict, I'd just go to work. Nothing like being virtually teabagged by a 12 year old....

I thought it was really cool that one guild I was in had three generations of players that I got to know: A grandma, her daughter, and her granddaughter. The grandma spent most of her virtual time fishing in the game :)

Nothing beats some WoW fishing ;) It took me months but I finally won the Stranglethorn Fishing Competition, felt like I'd won an Olympic Gold :D

I don't think Second Life counts as "gaming", but folks are always welcome to swing by RadioSpiral HQ in Orlov sim and hear a radio show, usually with a live concert included, in a virtual concert space. (Or play one!)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

dB could create a forum for it if there's interest.

If DB can give us the "back in the day" versions of Pong or any of the arcade versions we played in the bowling alleys back around 1978, I'd be wholeheartedly supportive of the effort.

I haven't played them in years, but would love to get back into them just to re-live those memories. I don't even know if they were ported to PC's from the TV set and Arcade versions.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 1 year later...

A racing simulator isn't a game. I have been on Iracing since April 2020 probably have about 20 wins or so, haven't added them up lately. It has provided a lot of left side brain skills and also really helps with building up concentration skills too. I really enjoy it. I also get all my speed kicks on it so I drive actually slower on the freeway now, like a 90 year old man. My favorite are the IndyCar high speed ovals but I also do a lot of road racing too . Oulton Park and Laguna Seca are my best tracks.  I used to do the 1994 Papyrus Indy Car sim and Iracing is the same designers and both were and are headed by David Kaemmer. So when I got back into it it felt very familar to the 1990s. 

Every six months or so I go back to a favorite "sandbox" of mine:  minecraft.

Now, I play "very heavily modded" minecraft, in particular recent it has been a modpack (which makes it really easy to install mods) called Enigmatica 6.   You can build various fission and other reactors for power generation, a ton of different machines, do various magic mod things if that's more your speed, and in general go at the pace you want.  Play with or without monsters :)   This game is my zen way to game though it has it's share of stress if you do certain things!  I used to play with my kids, and they'd laugh when I'd be puttering around my factory instead of going out and fighting creatures and exploring.   

Warhammer 3 Immortal Empires is imminent, this is the most insane strategic game you can imagine.  It's kind of a turn-based cross between Civ and heroes of might and magic with real-time tactical battles.    IE is the big combined map from the last 3 games.  At launch it will have 
554 settlements and 278 starting factions each time you fire it up, which is absolutely bananas.   Cool first look at a few of the lords you can play and the map itself (though during gameplay there's more to be seen, this is a cinematic using the game engine:

On 12/23/2020 at 10:29 AM, David Bryce said:

In minutes, if y'all want. :thu:

I used to play all the time, for many years. Nintendo and Playstation...but I lost the itch a few years ago, and not even a fully loaded Switch has been able to get me back in. :idk:

dB

Yes I must agree...I get the urge occasionally to "get back into it" load up Steam, peruse my rather large collection, and new titles, decide on one install it, play for about half an hour and then , ho-hum turn it off again. I just cannot do the hours to do a game justice any more *sigh*

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I used to play that WOW crack a lot around 10-12 years ago.  Maybe longer, I honestly can’t hardly remember what I did before marriage and being a dad.  Now I cut the grass, take out the trash, chauffeur, pay bills and sometimes practice when not sitting on my ass watching Netflix or shooting the shit with y’all.  I don’t think any of that counts as an MMO, does it? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have the same "problem" as miden, I just don't have staying power for gaming.  Other than for a few sandbox-style open world games like Valheim and Minecraft as I mentioned, but even with these its an hour or two here or there.    Oddly I also can't sit in front of the tv either; I'll browse Netflix for 15 minutes and decide everything good I've already seen...so I watch youtube vids :D

Even though I fit the prime demographics for being a gamer in some ways (Gen Z, fairly capable with tech, likes sci-fi), I never did much. Around 6th-8th grade I played a series of games known as "FlashTrek" games, particularly the Broken Mirror series. We had a Wii console for a bit too. Entertaining, but I eventually realized that I was spending way too much time on it and missing out on real life, music, etc. So I pretty much just walked away and never went back. I figured that there was no real-world outcome to any of it except for wasted time, so it wasn't worth my while.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm totally awful at shooters and unfortunately that genre seems to dominate the last 10 years. My XBox died so I got the new XBox but tend to play older games like SSX3 (snowboarding), early Tony Hawke Skateboarding, Ticket to Ride and Diablo. Hard to find anything new that interest me.

The real problem, ... After two weeks of not turning it on I decide to play XBox. I'm greeted with a message telling me to update the XBox OS, usually over 600 MG. I do that, select a game, and am told it requires an update. These can be up to 30GB or more which for me is on overnite process. So I tell it to update, then change the TV input to something else and forget about playing XBox. A couple weeks later the process is repeated.

• 1 month later...

In the last 20 years or so I have played and/or beta-tested the following PC games:

WOW

Everquest

Everquest2

Vanguard

SWtoR

Elder Scrolls Online

Anarchy Online

Asheron's Call

Final Fantasy XIV

and probably 3-4 I have forgotten about.

Do I play now? At best, 2hrs a week. Who has the time?

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I just retired, and play way to much. If I spent as much time practicing as gaming, I'd be way better than I am. My wife and I both old gamers.

We've got and Xbox Series X, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, a Steam library with over 400 games, we just got Steam Decks about a month ago.
We also both have Oculus VR headsets. I love MSFS 2020 but agree it has growing pains. I bought a Turtle Beach Velocity One Flight controller for use on the Xbox and the PC. We both have Alienware laptops that graphically kick major ass. I also have a set of racing wheels/pedals/shifter for playing the driving and racing games.

When we got our Xbox we also signed up for 3 years of Xbox All Access for the Xbox and PC. Too many games and haven't finished hardly any of them. Also played WoW and the original Guild Wars, love FPSs (but hate getting my ass handed to me by a 12 year old too). And to Dr. Mike, I met my wife in Second Life. I was playing music and she was doing genealogy lecturing. Spend loads of time in there. I've got a 13 year old and her mother that are staying with us at the moment and they say we're the coolest old people they know with the neatest toys!

• Like 1

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

• 1 year later...

Hmmm.  Gaming.  This would require effort above just commenting or viewing.  In many cases, extensive time - sometimes into the wee hours.  This does not mesh well with life during child raising unless you can convince them to play too - which is out age 0-8ish or more.  At some point they don’t want to hang with you anymore.  But by that time I’m not sure I’ll be able to stay up past 10.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560