Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I just got the vaccine. Ask me anything.

Y'all pretty much know my situation--my wife is a hospitalist NP and elbow deep in the mess and I work at the sleep lab at Vandy. She got her first dose on Saturday and I'm currently sitting in the post-inoculation waiting area watching for reactions. The purpose of this post is to share my experience. Whether you get the vaccine or not is your business and I'm not going to proselytize. I just want to be available for questions.

I ask that this discussion remains free of politics and encourage Dave to shut it down if warranted.

Tennessee was until today the #1 hotspot. Oklahoma is now #1. But Christmas is coming and I fully expect us to regain the title.

Ask me anything.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Grey, I'm not in a high priority group either, although I work for a school district (though not teaching a class this year).

My question is about the two shot protocol. I understand you need a first and then a second some weeks later? But are you fully protected with just the first until you get the second? And what if you for some reason don't go back for the second? Just less protected?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Actually, you are pretty protected with just the first shot and some are talking about the possibility of giving everyone the first shot now (however many doses they currently have) and then doing the second a few months down the line. More research is needed, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-doses.html

Like many others, I'm low risk so I won't be getting the shot for a while. That's fine, I'm not going anywhere. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

...Ask me anything.

What"s the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Sorry. Actually, I may be in a fairly high risk group, having had my second open heart surgery last year to correct congenital heart defects, and being 66. I don"t know when I"ll be getting it, but I suspect before the general population, even though I"m relatively healthy. I"ll be getting it as soon as my number comes up.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Did it hurt when the tracking chip went in?

It's the never ending drone of U2 that's the worst part.

Sending positive thoughts to you and Beth, Ken. A friend of mine was the first paramedic in New Brunswick to get it. I also won't be in line for a while. Thanks again to anyone working in healthcare these days, y'all rock.

Don't have any questions, just going to....observe you for a bit. For, you know, extra arms and stuff.

I'm old enough and out of shape enough (technically maybe "obese" though I still play sports, got some weight to lose for sure) that I may be up for this sooner rather than later. My job is WFH (which is the only good thing about this pandemic, I NEVER want to go back to an office) and I don't really go out anywhere...but I have a couple young people who do living in my house so I'm not going to pass it up that's for sure.

I have just a couple of questions:

Do you know if you got the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine? I was curious if they even told recipients which version they are getting. I'm presuming Pfizer (just given the timing of what I have read in the news), but thought I'd ask.

Also, how do you feel, and of course I'm curious if you'll feel anything within the next couple of hours or days.

I think I'm in the next upcoming tier (actively teaching), but I don't know anything for sure yet.

I'm just thinking about what a strange world we'll be living in for about the next year when some folks have had the Big V and some folks are still waiting. For instance, would you try to put together a band of vaxxers so you can get out and gig? Suddenly the old codger bands are the hot thing for summer of '21? Has someone already grabbed the url "thecomorbidities.com"? Dunno. My guess is as bad as yours.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

One of our local (Chicago) infectious disease experts stated that maximum protection/immunity is not attained until up to two weeks after the second injection.

I teach so I could be among those in the second round of vaccinations.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have in on good authority (I read it on the Interwebz...somewhere...) that if you wear your tinfoil hat it doesn't hurt.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Around here I guess I'm in group 1c. Although I'm a senior, I'm not senior enough, essential enough, or underlying conditions enough to be in groups 1a and 1b. All good... there are those who need it more than I do.

My hope is that I get mine within the next three months or so - so I can have a more enjoyable next spring and summer than the last. And that actually seems possible, which just blows my mind.

This is happening! :rocker::thx:

I'd be curious how sick you get in the first few days. It appears to be common after the first shot, much less so after the second. That will not stop me from getting the vacine when I can, I often don't feel well after a flu shot.

What might be news to some is that in trials these two vacines were very good at protection from Covid-19, but far less so at preventing the aquisition of Sars Cov2. IE 40% of those vaccinated who were exposed to the virus did test positive, and may well have been contagious, but only 5% actually got Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

My impression is the abilty of those vacinated to still spread the virus is still not well understood, but the virologists I listen too expect they could.

Everyone knows by now about the new UK varient causing chaos in Kent, as France closed the border and stranded the poor truckers. However the conclusions of "Nervtag", the science advisors to the UK Gov, have been called into serious question by the second most famous US virologist:

[video:youtube]

This guy is the real deal, though it doesn't mean Nervtag is wrong, as scientists don't always agree. He runs the now world famous "TWIV" podcast, with other scientists. It's been a bi-weekly show since the start of the pandemic and a once a week affair for over a decade. Anyway, in the video above he goes over the data which led to Nervtag's conclusions, and has a very different take.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Do you know if you got the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine? I was curious if they even told recipients which version they are getting. I'm presuming Pfizer (just given the timing of what I have read in the news), but thought I'd ask.

I received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. We were completely aware of this going in.

when is your follow up shot ?

Exactly three weeks from today. What I get then is the same thing I got today.

My question is about the two shot protocol. I understand you need a first and then a second some weeks later? But are you fully protected with just the first until you get the second? And what if you for some reason don't go back for the second? Just less protected?

From the literature they handed me today:

"In an ongoing clinical trial, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine has been shown to prevent COVID-19 following 2 doses given 3 weeks apart." (Note the language: shown to prevent does not equal proven to prevent. I'm ok with it either way.) My understanding is that there is protection with the first shot, but the second one really kicks the immune system into gear. My supervisor made sure to schedule my vaccinations for when I have a stretch of days off. I'm sure people are going to blow off the second shot. I wonder if they'll contact those who didn't bother going back.

Also, how do you feel, and of course I'm curious if you'll feel anything within the next couple of hours or days.

I'm fine. My wife's three days in and experienced two days of arm soreness but nothing else. About 30 minutes after inoculation my arm stung for just a second. Right now I'm beginning to feel a dull ache building. Other than that, no headache, fever, nausea, body ache.

It's not the tracking chip I'm worried about. It's the little card I got from the CDC that made me blink. They know who you are, which vaccine/lot you got, where and when. I have zero problem with this. I'm using myself as both a guinea pig and an example. Given my wife's level of exposure (and mine for that matter) I'm hedging my bets. Whoever wants to talk to me about this is welcome, even if they're in black helicopters.

Did ya look?

I most certainly did. You know how in the movies they show this long-ass needle that gets jammed all the way into the arm? Like it might come out the other side? Not quite like that. It was a fine gauge, longer than I would've imagined, and it indeed went in to the hilt. It was probably no longer than the needle used for any other vaccine. It just looked long. The stick did not hurt. If you're squeamish about shots, don't look. Or if you're into self-abuse, look. I don't judge.

What"s the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?

The literature makes it clear that there are questions about the vaccine that are at this time unanswered. We don't know the duration of protection. We don't know if it's possible to transmit the virus even if we ourselves are protected--like, if I got a face full and turned to speak to someone else, would I be spreading it? So until we know more, and until I'm told otherwise, I'll continue to mask.

Thanks for the questions. Keep 'em coming. I'll probably have more to share after the second dose. If anything changes in the meantime, I'll let you know.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Please tell us if you grow a tail with a pink pom-pom on the end. Also when and if it falls off. I hope you & yours pass this marker with no post-injection issues of relevance. It IS a big moment, but one that will take several months to more fully unfold. Insert scientific faith and a fist shaking at Politics here. :Python:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Got mine first thing Monday morning. No problems with the injection. Felt a little tired and just slightly dizzy till late afternoon. Shoulder was sore by the evening. Today, I am feeling fine with the injection site muscle soreness mostly gone. I received the Pfizer vaccine. Also, no tail with pom-poms and i can still play the piano with both hands.....

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I'd be curious how sick you get in the first few days. It appears to be common after the first shot, much less so after the second. That will not stop me from getting the vacine when I can, I often don't feel well after a flu shot.

What might be news to some is that in trials these two vacines were very good at protection from Covid-19, but far less so at preventing the aquisition of Sars Cov2. IE 40% of those vaccinated who were exposed to the virus did test positive, and may well have been contagious, but only 5% actually got Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

My impression is the abilty of those vacinated to still spread the virus is still not well understood, but the virologists I listen too expect they could.

Everyone knows by now about the new UK varient causing chaos in Kent, as France closed the border and stranded the poor truckers. However the conclusions of "Nervtag", the science advisors to the UK Gov, have been called into serious question by the second most famous US virologist:

[video:youtube]

This guy is the real deal, though it doesn't mean Nervtag is wrong, as scientists don't always agree. He runs the now world famous "TWIV" podcast, with other scientists. It's been a bi-weekly show since the start of the pandemic and a once a week affair for over a decade. Anyway, in the video above he goes over the data which led to Nervtag's conclusions, and has a very different take.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

Red Stratocaster, rosewood neck, in the background.

I notice things like that.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I get mine next week. For some reason I was put in the first priority group, but I decided to delay a couple of weeks.

btw- getting the Shingrex shot was like getting hit in the shoulder with a baseball bat. But if you know anything about shingles or post herpetic neuralgia, it is completely worth it.