Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elvis Costello does Burt Bacharach

This is a real gem!

Really shows Elvis Costello's versatility in this song which would expose the best vocalist with its demanding intervals.

The whole album is worth listening to.

Love seeing Burt perform as well.

[video:youtube]

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite an old album now. I bought it a long time ago when it came out. It's a real grower. I keep going back to it time after time. There's a great version of God give me strength which was used in a pretty good movie called "Grace of my heart" which was based around a song writer working in the Brill building.
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

That's quite an old album now. I bought it a long time ago when it came out. It's a real grower. I keep going back to it time after time. ....

Yeah same here.

I go back whenever I'm feeling melancholy.

The juxtaposition of those perfect Bacharach songs combined with the raw edge of Elvis's interpretation is really emotional for me.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

This is a real gem!

Really shows Elvis Costello's versatility in this song which would expose the best vocalist with its demanding intervals.

The whole album is worth listening to.

Love seeing Burt perform as well.

[video:youtube]

This track is so gorgeous to me still, and the work Elvis did with Burt, especially this song, is a testament to EC's collaborative skills. It must be a bitch to sing, but EC kills it here. HIs brings so much in his work with Burt and McCartney before, and to me has made all of those tunes he cowrote with them better by his involvement.

I've got to see Burt twice in the last 5 years or so live, and he still does this with his show. Although his concerts do too many medleys for some of his key tracks, it's still a joy to see him conduct and play. He's one of my all-time favorite writers....just amazing. No surprise the Beatles covered him in their early shows.....

I can't help thinking, though, that young Elvis Costello would have punched Burt Bacharach/Diana Krall era Elvis Costello right in the face.

maybe, but angry young men grow up eventually (hopefully)

But some happy young men become angry old men...fact.

It's called "life".